Denafrips Sub-Brand or Rip-off? The case of Musician Audio's Pegasus R2R DAC
Aug 14, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #76 of 316
Interesting....

Attachments

• FC636236-FA30-429C-8111-59B68A799E17.png
    FC636236-FA30-429C-8111-59B68A799E17.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Aug 14, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #77 of 316
I can't hear repeated claims about superiority of Pegasus output stage anymore.
A new PCB revision of Ares II has similar set of Wima caps. :)

Aug 14, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #78 of 316
I can't hear repeated claims about superiority of Pegasus output stage anymore.
A new PCB revision of Ares II has similar set of Wima caps. :)
explain the new pcb board upgrade or DIY or what? Im confused - thanks!

Aug 14, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #79 of 316
Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #81 of 316
So according to one credible audio reviewer, the Pegasus isn't even as good as an Ares II (which is noticeably cheaper). While another credible reviewer, the Pegasus is as good as the Venus (which is near top of line on the Denafrips range)...
So one might be tempted to think its somewhere in the middle, just like its price would suggest... Likely with slight sound signature / presentation differences, causing some to subjectively prefer/dislike it... Just my 2 cents on a sane explanation, without having heard either, but wanting one.

Aug 15, 2020 at 1:24 AM Post #82 of 316
Just exactly when did this Wima cap "upgrade" in the Ares II take place? A new version of the motherboard without any external designation? Seems that would have been the Ares III.

Unless I've lost my ability to use Google I can no longer find a manufacturers site for Musician Audio. I find them selling on Amazon through a relatively small China reseller. Their separate web presence seems to have vanished. At least I can't find it. I just sent a message to a very large China supplier that I know personally to see what they know about this Musician Audio and their link to Denafrips. If I learn anything I will report back.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #84 of 316
Just got a reply from my contact in China. They said that the Pegasus dac is not made by Denafrips and that there is no direct connection between the two companies. He did not say anything about the designers of either product. I asked about a change to the Ares II which may include a new motherboard. He said that there is no such change. The Ares II I received in early July is the latest version. So if a change is coming even he doesn't know about it and he is with one of their largest resellers.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 4:02 AM Post #85 of 316
Just got a reply from my contact in China. They said that the Pegasus dac is not made by Denafrips and that there is no direct connection between the two companies.
Hahahahh suuuuure. Literally produced on the same manufacturing line, it's so obvious it's funny that'd lie about it

Aug 15, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #86 of 316
Hahahahh suuuuure. Literally produced on the same manufacturing line, it's so obvious it's funny that'd lie about it
Have you considered that neither company owns the manufacturing facility that is making these dacs. That would not be unusual as many of these companies go to large prime manufactures to get their good produced. I'm not saying that is the case here but it would not be uncommon in China. It is obvious that the same designers worked on both. On a separate note I noticed that the Pegasus folk have one distributor who sells across Amazon and I only see 1 unit sold. Their one customer is very happy wrote a brief nice review.

Aug 15, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #87 of 316
It is obvious that the same designers worked on both. On a separate note I noticed that the Pegasus folk have one distributor who sells across Amazon and I only see 1 unit sold. Their one customer is very happy wrote a brief nice review.
If they both use the near same internal design isn't that IP theft, then? Or because it's China that is acceptable/not illegal to do? It's all very strange TBH

Aug 15, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #88 of 316
If they both use the near same internal design isn't that IP theft, then? Or because it's China that is acceptable/not illegal to do? It's all very strange TBH
In the US schematics (or even PCB design) are not protected by law, so why it should be protected in China? Mechanism of protection consist of patents (recently abused), trademarks (like Ares), even proprietary fonts inprinted on the PCB. There is a copycat of Ares ladder layout sold in US by a drop, it looks identical. Pegasus seems to be a legitimate product coming from the same designer desk.

Aug 15, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #89 of 316
Not illegal in China where they do not recognize patents or copyrights. They copy everyone. To some extent, when it is in their interest nationally, they do observe patents and copyrights of companies that they do business with but only in public. Privately they steal any technology they can. None of this is news it has been well documented. I still believe that at least some of the same designers were involved in both products. They may even work under contract and not as employees.

Aug 15, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #90 of 316
In the US schematics (or even PCB design) are not protected by law, so why it should be protected in China? Mechanism of protection consist of patents (recently abused), trademarks (like Ares), even proprietary fonts inprinted on the PCB. There is a copycat of Ares ladder layout sold in US by a drop, it looks identical. Pegasus seems to be a legitimate product coming from the same designer desk.
Yes but Pegasus uses the exact same " Proprietary USB Audio Solution via STM32F446 Advanced AMR Based MCU " USB. Letter per letter exact. Strange then, no? I'm 99.9% sure the Windows driver for Denafrips product will work on Pegasus too.

PS can you link the copycat Ares ladder? I don't hink I ever saw that one hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back