Denafrips 'Pontus' R2R ladder DAC - close up view
Mar 27, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #1,771 of 1,800
Are you connecting the usb to pontus?

If you're connected to iris, you'll see 1.6.

non 3.121 1.6
yes! 3.12 | 1.6

And the pontus is followed by a 'p'.
ex.
v3.12 | p22f1.0
My P2/12 shows this image: the USB software and the fpga SW... in my case P12.1.3 (original April 2023)

Attachments

• IMG_4637.png
    IMG_4637.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Mar 27, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #1,774 of 1,800
yes I know. I have no patience to start playing for the update. In the studio system, with the big Mirages, 1.3 works reasonably well. In the main system (high efficiency) I preferred to keep my old Audio Note Dac 5 which I find superior to the Pontus by quite a bit (as far as it goes)

Mar 27, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #1,775 of 1,800
Are you connecting the usb to pontus?

If you're connected to iris, you'll see 1.6.
Ah, I should have mentioned I use the Iris so I guess it makes a difference in how (and what) the info in the driver is displayed?...

So, since I'm running the Pontus off the Iris 12th. The Iris is connected to the Pontus via I2S connection. With that this is what I have....

Status.jpg

Thanks for pointing that out :thumbsup:
And the pontus is followed by a 'p'.
ex.
v3.12 | p22f1.0
And per Vinshine (Alvin) email to me, this is what the driver info looks like. I'm 99.999 sure that's without the Iris connected. So, yeah, no P there.

Denafrips Pontus Driver.jpg

Guide: https://www.denafrips.com/win-os

Has it changed from version to version, probably.

Mar 30, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #1,776 of 1,800
Ah, I should have mentioned I use the Iris so I guess it makes a difference in how (and what) the info in the driver is displayed?...

So, since I'm running the Pontus off the Iris 12th. The Iris is connected to the Pontus via I2S connection. With that this is what I have....

Status.jpg

Thanks for pointing that out :thumbsup:

And per Vinshine (Alvin) email to me, this is what the driver info looks like. I'm 99.999 sure that's without the Iris connected. So, yeah, no P there.

Denafrips Pontus Driver.jpg
Guide: https://www.denafrips.com/win-os

Has it changed from version to version, probably.
1.Disconnect USB from IRIS
2.Connect USB to PONTUS
3.Check the driver display

simpleヾ(๑╹◡╹)ノ"

Apr 6, 2024 at 9:21 PM Post #1,781 of 1,800
HI. Has anyone replaced the AC socket with the same AC socket as pontus ii (non 12th)?

I own a 12th-1 and am having trouble getting used to the bass feel, etc.
I am thinking that the AC socket is the one that could be affected by the changes in the 12th.
(I love the Aresii without the changes).

I'd like to hear experiences if anyone has done DIY.

Apr 8, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #1,782 of 1,800
HI. Has anyone replaced the AC socket with the same AC socket as pontus ii (non 12th)?

I own a 12th-1 and am having trouble getting used to the bass feel, etc.
I am thinking that the AC socket is the one that could be affected by the changes in the 12th.
(I love the Aresii without the changes).

I'd like to hear experiences if anyone has done DIY.
If I am understanding you correctly, you think your Pontus 12-1 is lacking bass due to the AC IEC being used on the newest versions?

If so, I don't think that would be the main culprit. I would think the firmware version, interconnects, and power cords would have more to do with it. For example, firmware version 1.3 is the least bass sounding of the three. Both 1.0 and 1.4 are better in that regard. I think version 1.4 has slightly more bass than 1.0. Cables also can impact the bass as well. I would look into these areas if you haven' yet.

Apr 8, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #1,784 of 1,800
But ver 1.0, in my opinion, has a little more warmth and soul than 1.4
Yep agree, 1.0 has more natural organic sound to it and thats what my setup needed. I can see setups that are already warm and thick would like to balance that out with more treble, openness, details, layering and separation from the 1.4.

Apr 9, 2024 at 12:53 AM Post #1,785 of 1,800
If I am understanding you correctly, you think your Pontus 12-1 is lacking bass due to the AC IEC being used on the newest versions?

If so, I don't think that would be the main culprit. I would think the firmware version, interconnects, and power cords would have more to do with it. For example, firmware version 1.3 is the least bass sounding of the three. Both 1.0 and 1.4 are better in that regard. I think version 1.4 has slightly more bass than 1.0. Cables also can impact the bass as well. I would look into these areas if you haven' yet.
I think that there is too much bass due to the copper plugs.
I thought if it is more loud than pontus ii (non-12th) I could bring that back.

I asked vinshine about it but they said it would be challenging.
I may look for a used one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back