Denafrips 'Pontus' R2R ladder DAC - close up view
Mar 26, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #1,756 of 1,800
I picked up a Pontus 2 12th recently. .....dumb question incoming.....

How can one tell which firmware one is using, and how can one go about sourcing an earlier (or later) FW?
If you got it direct from Vinshine Audio, it would have shipped the latest firmware. Vinshine states they ship their products with the latest firmware, which my Pontus 12th-1, Iris 12th of less than a month are supposed to have.

Many point to the Asio driver for the firmware info, but in fact the Asio driver does NOT show the firmware info, just the driver version.

Mar 26, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #1,757 of 1,800
I picked up a Pontus 2 12th recently. .....dumb question incoming.....

How can one tell which firmware one is using, and how can one go about sourcing an earlier (or later) FW?
Check the Denafrips USB control panel

1711471729623.png

If you want access to the different firmwares availables I suggest you contact firmware@vinshineaudio.com indicating your device model being the 12th version, they should provide you access to this website and you can try different sound profiles with the same dac :p

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 1:28 AM Post #1,760 of 1,800
@CalvinandHobbes2020, @Smoothstereo

Got some power cables to add to both Pontus DAC and Artemis headphone amp. Also bought an HDMI cable as well as a USB cable. All courtesy of Supra Cables...

Power-Cables.jpg

Being this is a wholesale upgrade its kind of hard to tell what's the most significant upgrade, but I will say the Supra HDMI (I2S) cable vs. my cheap Kabel Direct HDMI cable made a huge difference in the sound coming through the Iris to the Pontus out to the Artemis. Here everything is cleaner, tighter, and wider. Now I can enjoy my PC FLAC files just as much as my CDs. Can't say what the Excaliber USB cable is doing (LOL), but it's not hurting :relaxed:

Anyway, I'm also coming to the conclusion I don't like silver cables where sound reproduction is concerned. More below...

Because I got both the LoRad CS1 and LoRad Silver power-cords, I've been able to experiment. So, with the silver cord connected the Artemis, and the CS (copper) cord connected to the Pontus, the soundstage of the Artemis is widened, and you get this 3D effect soundstage, which is absolutely lovely, but at the cost of detail with muddier (veiled) bass notes.

Going the other way - silver cord to Pontus, copper cord to Artemis, bass cleaner and tighter and overall detail is greatly improved; here though, the sound moves closer and at the cost of that wide 3D effect. It's there, but not to the level of the silver cord connected to the Pontus.

Both ways have their plus/minus, but overall, I prefer more detail and better bass so it's the copper power-cord to the Artemis, and silver power-cord to the Pontus. Mind you the Sennheiser HD800S already has a wide soundstage, so I guess the choice would come down to which headphones you have.

Silver wire-based audio cables - in my short trial and error to find the right cables for the sound I'm after, I'm finding (not news to some) silver-based cables tend to be bright and airy favoring the upper range, where copper-based cables tend to be warmer, more intimate, favoring the lower range. This was also my experience when I bought a1.5-foot Better Cable Silver Serpent AIR Digital S/PDIF Coax Cable to go between my Rotel RCD-1072 CD player and Pontus DAC, to replace my 10-foot Better Cables Blue Truth Digital S/PDIF Coax Cable I had. What I found here is what I found in the power cords, and also when I moved to the Quad Balanced Canare L-4E6S XLR cables with silver Neutrik connectors to go between the Pontus and Artemis.... increased upper range, spacious soundstage but less umph, detail, and bass. I'm sure there are cables that has it all, so do tell (though price is a factor).

Check the review of Supra's power-cables by Lachlen, to get an idea of where I'm coming. Silver / copper cables can produce different results depending on gear. He talks of this here with regards to the power cables...

Anyway, I'm going to be returning the Better Cable Silver Serpent for the cheaper Blue Truth cable, as I already have that one (though its 10-feet) and know what it sounds like in my system. Was curious about the cable and why I choose it, but I don't like it so I'm replacing it. Will also be replacing the XLR Canare cables with something a little more balanced.

All said, after 3-weeks, the Artemis is sounding wonderful no matter the cables. Very happy with this amp. Just need to fine tune it a little further.

Thanks.

Thanks for the update! Good to hear about your experiences with the two Supra power cords.

Mar 27, 2024 at 5:56 AM Post #1,763 of 1,800
After inquiring, we received the answer that the current stable and latest FW is 1.4.
1.4 is amazing with active speakers like the Focal Alpha 65 EVO but 1.0 for D8KP or HE6SEV2 is just unbeatable! (for me)

azasu!

Mar 27, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #1,764 of 1,800
1.4 is amazing with active speakers like the Focal Alpha 65 EVO but 1.0 for D8KP or HE6SEV2 is just unbeatable! (for me)

azasu!
In my meze109, both the wide sound field that exits at 1.4 and the long listening time at 1.0 are excellent.

I plan to try the tentatively named 1.5 when it is officially released, but for the time being, I'll enjoy struggling between 1.0 and 1.4.

Mar 27, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #1,765 of 1,800
In my meze109, both the wide sound field that exits at 1.4 and the long listening time at 1.0 are excellent.

I plan to try the tentatively named 1.5 when it is officially released, but for the time being, I'll enjoy struggling between 1.0 and 1.4.
I tried 1.4 again this evening and came inmediately back to 1.0 with HE6SE V2 modded, I just enjoy the richness of harmony w OG firmware

I want 1.5 asap too, anyone? even beta?

Thanks

Mar 27, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #1,769 of 1,800
what the heck?
Yeah, it took me a minute to understand how to read the device info, but once I figured it out (I think) it became clear I had 1.6.

BTW, to decipher the product number V 3.1211.6 - 3 is the number of revisions of the Pontus, 121 is the revision number (12th-1) and 1.6 is the firmware version?

Edit: Please see this > post for updated info.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #1,770 of 1,800
Yeah, it took me a minute to understand how to read the device info, but once I figured it out (I think) it became clear I had 1.6.

BTW, to decipher the product number V 3.1211.6 - 3 is the number of revisions of the Pontus, 121 is the revision number (12th-1) and 1.6 is the firmware version?

That said, what's still confusing is Alvin sent me an email last night saying 1.4 was the latest firmware version, so not sure why higher version numbers are showing??? And I highly doubt, Vinshine Audio would be sending out units with "beta firmware", so.... 🤷‍♂️
Are you connecting the usb to pontus?

If you're connected to iris, you'll see 1.6.

non 3.121 1.6
yes! 3.12 | 1.6

And the pontus is followed by a 'p'.
ex.
v3.12 | p22f1.0

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back