Denafrips 'Pontus' R2R ladder DAC - close up view
Dec 21, 2023 at 2:11 AM Post #1,636 of 1,845
Same here wirh my iMac. It also happen to my old dac, everytime. I have to take usb out and back in.

Dec 21, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #1,637 of 1,845
Do you mean, "Do I have a USB 2.0 or 3.0 cable?" One of the test cables I tried was this USB 2.0 one: https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/gp/product/B086ZG4VZG/
Hub 2.0, not a cable. Like this $2.99:
https://www.amazon.com/JR-Joyreap-Compact-Expansion-Splitter/dp/B09SD1RB6G

Or better, find similar one with a plug for external power supply. It doesn't come out in my quick search, only more expensive one with funny imitation of radiators:

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Port-Compact-Black-USB/dp/B000T9S4CI

It may cure power up issue with external power attached or without (try both), but more important, it can improve sound by redirecting ground loops. Macbook USB output is very noisy. By connecting 2.0 hub, high frequency noise is reduced, it can be further reduced by redirecting noise to the external power supply.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #1,638 of 1,845
Hub 2.0, not a cable. Like this $2.99:
https://www.amazon.com/JR-Joyreap-Compact-Expansion-Splitter/dp/B09SD1RB6G

Or better, find similar one with a plug for external power supply. It doesn't come out in my quick search, only more expensive one with funny imitation of radiators:

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Port-Compact-Black-USB/dp/B000T9S4CI

It may cure power up issue with external power attached or without (try both), but more important, it can improve sound by redirecting ground loops. Macbook USB output is very noisy. By connecting 2.0 hub, high frequency noise is reduced, it can be further reduced by redirecting noise to the external power supply.
Great, thank you for the tip!
I'll try with this one (3.0) and with a 2.0 if it doesn't work:
https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/alimenté...3178587&sprefix=usb+hub+powered,aps,88&sr=8-5

I'll keep you posted.

Dec 21, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #1,639 of 1,845
OK, but if you don't care about sound quality, just to solve this particular issue, 3.0 hub will work exactly the same.
:)
In such case you don't really need 2.0 hub.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #1,640 of 1,845
Hey I looked at your profile and see you live in Montreal. I will be in Montreal from the 23rd to the 27th. I will be staying in Old Montreal if you need help message me.

Dec 21, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #1,641 of 1,845
OK, but if you don't care about sound quality, just to solve this particular issue, 3.0 hub will work exactly the same.
:)
In such case you don't really need 2.0 hub.
What do you mean by sound quality? Is 2.0 better for it? Or should I use something else?
Sorry for the beginner's question :)

@ejk1 : Hey, thank you. I'll keep you posted. I should receive the USB tomorrow.

Dec 21, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #1,642 of 1,845
What do you mean by sound quality? Is 2.0 better for it? Or should I use something else?
Sorry for the beginner's question :)
Don't need afraid to ask. USB 3.0 use extra pair of wires in addition to the 2.0 pair which is still there for compatibility. If DAC is not 3.0 compatible, this pair is not used, but carries high frequency signals to the hub. It means more noise I try to avoid. It is why I wrote "2.0, I mean it".

While I am here, chosing 8-ports hub doesn't make sense if you are not going to connect additional devices. And it is my another suggestion to plug only a DAC to this hub, but forgotten to tell you.

Dec 24, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #1,643 of 1,845
I can report back after 3 tests:
  1. TP-Link USB Hub 3.0 powered : A catastrophe, the first time I heard noise/static, and it wasn't subtle at all. Weird because I had a small Aukey USB hub 3.0 non-powered, and I never had noise.
  2. Startech USB Hub 2.0 powered : I have to either plug in or unplug the USB cable or the power cable after rebooting my iMac.
  3. Sabrent USB hub 2.0 with control switches : Still not working, but at least I just turn off and then on the buttons, and it's working.

So I still have not found any solution to avoid having to do manual actions after rebooting my iMac, just a less boring one :)

Jan 1, 2024 at 8:09 AM Post #1,645 of 1,845
I own a 12th-1, has anyone compared it to the pontus ii?

I don't think the changes that started with the 12th are good ones.

The FW is the same from OG to 12th and 12th-1, but changes must have definitely occurred in the power supply section.

The 12th-1 was brighter and flashier than I initially imagined.
I am wondering if this is due to the changes or if this was the trend from OG.

Jan 1, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #1,646 of 1,845
From what I've read, it seems that Pontus II, even though it's older, offers bigger choice when it comes to sound. What we have here is a nice analog sound that may be missing in the 12th version. On the other hand, when we give the Pontus II firmware 1.4, we gets precision and detail that is in the 12th version. On the other hand, in the latest versions of the pontus, there is no chance for the sound for which pontus II was famous - analog detailed sound.
But that's just my subjective opinion.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #1,647 of 1,845
From what I've read, it seems that Pontus II, even though it's older, offers bigger choice when it comes to sound. What we have here is a nice analog sound that may be missing in the 12th version. On the other hand, when we give the Pontus II firmware 1.4, we gets precision and detail that is in the 12th version. On the other hand, in the latest versions of the pontus, there is no chance for the sound for which pontus II was famous - analog detailed sound.
But that's just my subjective opinion.
There shouldn't be a reason not to be able to go to the original Pontus II firmware on the 12th hardware. Technically the 12th offers one more FW version - the one it's shipped with, from which you could either go down to Pontus II OG sound, or up to FW 1.4.
Personally I am still on the factory firmware of the 12th.

Jan 8, 2024 at 12:58 AM Post #1,648 of 1,845
I didn't even seriously entertain the idea of upgrading the firmware of my beloved OG Pontus II. I bought it, and I found that I love it, then why do I want to change any of its components that may potentially change what I already enjoyed dearly? I know the firmware can supposedly be flashed back and forth, but why do I want to risk it? Personally, truly, personally, I think Denafrips is a bit lacking in its considerations when it decided to offer firmware upgrades that may drastically change (in audiophile sense) the sound signature to make it feel like a different machine. Maybe it can take a page from a certain headphone manufacturer: v2 -> stealth -> organic, v2 -> se -> stealth, etc.? No offense intended.

Jan 8, 2024 at 9:57 AM Post #1,649 of 1,845
Gotham 85055 power cable is now available.

The plugs are gold-plated, but I plan to use them for a while to see how they work together.

Gotham 85055(5.5sq=10AWG)
Gotham 85025 (2.5sq)

Alvin has previously stated that they use 85025.
Does anyone have any experience with the changes in power supply thickness?

Jan 8, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #1,650 of 1,845
Gotham 85055 power cable is now available.

The plugs are gold-plated, but I plan to use them for a while to see how they work together.

Gotham 85055(5.5sq=10AWG)
Gotham 85025 (2.5sq)

Alvin has previously stated that they use 85025.
Does anyone have any experience with the changes in power supply thickness?
Available from where? I tried oyaide tunami with 5,5sq. And it was smooth warmer sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back