Denafrips 'Pontus' R2R ladder DAC - close up view
Nov 21, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #602 of 1,840
extremely annoyed here….just bought a new MacBook Air 2020 and every single time I try to connect the Iris ddc to my MacBook via usb in freezes the computer. I restart and it won’t boot up with the usb connected. Anyone have this happen with a possible
Remedy?

It could be the DENAFRIPS USB MCU firmware and the new macOS / M1 Chip compatibility related.
Firmware can be updated, guide: https://www.denafrips.com/firmware-update-usb

Nov 22, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #603 of 1,840
Pontus II on black Friday sale on Shenzhen Audio. Sounds like too good a deal to pass up so I grabbed one.

Nov 22, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #604 of 1,840
are they authorized for US?

Nov 22, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #606 of 1,840
Nov 22, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #608 of 1,840
2298 is in SGD, which is ~$1687.70 right now. Not a huge difference, but it's worth noting how much shenzhenaudio is marking up Denafrips products. If they stand behind their "lowest price" guarantee, you can probably get them to match. IIRC shenzhenaudio and apos are the same company -- I had a pretty easy experience getting a price match from apos in the past.

Nov 22, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #609 of 1,840
Anyhoo, $22 difference.

I'll be upgrading from an SU-9, this should be interesting. I still can't believe the price. Seriously, how is an R2R with these kind of specs at this price range?

Nov 22, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #610 of 1,840
Grey Market.jpg

Read more: here <-

It's worth pointing out that the currency on our website are in Singapore Dollars :flag_sg:

Cheers! :beers:

Nov 23, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #611 of 1,840
what would be the explanation please? either these devices sold on these sites are fakes or they were bought from the manufacturer? am I wrong? and then why the manufacturer sells them if he doesn't advise it? sorry, I just have a hard time understanding .....are they fake units ?, then shouldn't there be a legal action? Thanks a lot for the clarification.

Nov 25, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #613 of 1,840
extremely annoyed here….just bought a new MacBook Air 2020 and every single time I try to connect the Iris ddc to my MacBook via usb in freezes the computer. I restart and it won’t boot up with the usb connected. Anyone have this happen with a possible
Remedy?
I was finally able to connect my Iris to a windows computer and with the help of Alvin and vinshine I was able to update the firmware and it’s now working with my MacBook Air perfectly

Nov 26, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #614 of 1,840
Anyone have first hand experience of Holo audio may versus ponts II with IRIS II?

Nov 28, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #615 of 1,840
Okay, this will take some time as I do seem to have some sort of issue with my current setup that will take some unpleasant back and forth and left and right. It does not sound "right" and far from good - pretty harsh, grainy, messy, stressed. I went all the way back to the RME as standalone Dac = fine. RME + Iris DDC = fine. Pontus II solo out of the MacBook Air with Roon and Qobuz = fine. But Mac > USB > IRIS > I2S (HDMI) > Pontus II > XLR > Cayin Ha-6a > 4.4mm > ZMF VC sounds like xxxxxxxx
Again - this will need some time and straight thinking which I currently find kinda hard. Tomorrow is a new day ...
After like 2 weeks of listening to the Pontus II on its own out of my MacBook Air today was the day I tried to use the Iris again in combination with the Pontus II connected via I2S. I'll give you the executive summary - after trying 4 - I repeat "FOUR" - different HDMI-cables everything works fine now. Now that is a.) quite a relief and b.) quite scary. I mean I heard Alvin say and explain that some HDMI cables do not work - but like all of them??? The one HDMI that is working is some no name cable (I think) with pink connectors. So thank you North Korean or Taiwanese cable maker for saving the day! How does it sound? Stunning!! But I will get back to this after listening a couple of days ...
One more thing that could have been causing some problems is the fact the the USB-input connector / the connection on the Iris is kinda loose/wobbely with my new USB-cable I bought because I needed some more length due to new setup. I'll keep an eye on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back