Denafrips 'Pontus' R2R ladder DAC - close up view
Nov 28, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #616 of 1,800
I was finally able to connect my Iris to a windows computer and with the help of Alvin and vinshine I was able to update the firmware and it’s now working with my MacBook Air perfectly
I think I might have to do this, too. Just to make sure ...

Nov 28, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #619 of 1,800
After like 2 weeks of listening to the Pontus II on its own out of my MacBook Air today was the day I tried to use the Iris again in combination with the Pontus II connected via I2S. I'll give you the executive summary - after trying 4 - I repeat "FOUR" - different HDMI-cables everything works fine now. Now that is a.) quite a relief and b.) quite scary. I mean I heard Alvin say and explain that some HDMI cables do not work - but like all of them??? The one HDMI that is working is some no name cable (I think) with pink connectors. So thank you North Korean or Taiwanese cable maker for saving the day! How does it sound? Stunning!! But I will get back to this after listening a couple of days ...
One more thing that could have been causing some problems is the fact the the USB-input connector / the connection on the Iris is kinda loose/wobbely with my new USB-cable I bought because I needed some more length due to new setup. I'll keep an eye on that.
ups, just watched a YouTube video and noticed a digital echo, and distortion. Went to roon, switched thru NOS and Phase "on and off" and yes the problem is back - did the "set to mode 000 thing" a couple of times = no effect, no improvement. Changed the USB cable - and at least on roon eyerything seems okay, sounds fine. This is more complicated than I thought. Looks like I actually might need help and the Iris might need to be checked. But I'm gonna watch this play out for a while now ...

Nov 28, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #620 of 1,800
Hi Alvin,
can you list the manufacture of the I2S cable you used between the Pontus and Iris. Thx, 🙏
... and maybe, while you're at it, a list of 1,5m to 2m USB cables ...

Nov 29, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #621 of 1,800
... and maybe, while you're at it, a list of 1,5m to 2m USB cables ...
The correct I2S pin configuration is important as there is no standard among cable manufacturers. I know one can “dial in“ with others but if one comes out of the box configured, then why not? Come on Alvin, give up the name and I’ll pick up an Iris, promise! 😉

Nov 29, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #622 of 1,800
After like 2 weeks of listening to the Pontus II on its own out of my MacBook Air today was the day I tried to use the Iris again in combination with the Pontus II connected via I2S. I'll give you the executive summary - after trying 4 - I repeat "FOUR" - different HDMI-cables everything works fine now. Now that is a.) quite a relief and b.) quite scary. I mean I heard Alvin say and explain that some HDMI cables do not work - but like all of them??? The one HDMI that is working is some no name cable (I think) with pink connectors. So thank you North Korean or Taiwanese cable maker for saving the day! How does it sound? Stunning!! But I will get back to this after listening a couple of days ...
One more thing that could have been causing some problems is the fact the the USB-input connector / the connection on the Iris is kinda loose/wobbely with my new USB-cable I bought because I needed some more length due to new setup. I'll keep an eye on that.
pink?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HP3KKX9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dec 4, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #623 of 1,800
The correct I2S pin configuration is important as there is no standard among cable manufacturers. I know one can “dial in“ with others but if one comes out of the box configured, then why not? Come on Alvin, give up the name and I’ll pick up an Iris, promise! 😉
I want an Iris as well for my Pontus. I haven’t read the whole thread, does everyone feel I2S is the best? AES?

I currently use a USBe Perfect with a Silver Dragon USB with tremendous results.

Dec 4, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #624 of 1,800
2298 is in SGD, which is ~$1687.70 right now. Not a huge difference, but it's worth noting how much shenzhenaudio is marking up Denafrips products. If they stand behind their "lowest price" guarantee, you can probably get them to match. IIRC shenzhenaudio and apos are the same company -- I had a pretty easy experience getting a price match from apos in the past.
Shenzhenaudio and Apos are the same company? I assume that Apos is their USA outpost, so to speak. I had no idea.

Dec 4, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #625 of 1,800
Just to add to your post, I also had almost all of the dacs youve had except for the X16. Started with the D90 and it was good, clean and sharp. Made everything sound like a little sterile and lifeless. Then I bought my Ares 2 and thats when it changed everything. That was my first R2R dac and fell in love with it from the start. Fast forward 4 months, i purchased a BF2 because i needed two outputs simultaneously and the Denafrips can only do one at a time. The Bf2 was really dynamic and punchy with a very intimate soundstage and I loved it, however, something was still missing. I wanted to listen to my Elise OTL in it true form and i needed something more music. Then came the Pontus and just like you, my dac search has ended (although i did buy a Yggdrasil a few weeks later because, as before, the pontus doesn't do two outputs at the same time).

The pontus is musical, gooey with tons of micro details and perfect tonal balance. Its the only dac that i use with my Elise OTL and my ZMF headphones, period. This dac has added layers upon layers of low end details while still maintaining the clarity of the top end. At first, the Pontus seemed a little dull, but all that cleared up after about 150-200 hours. While the Pontus was burning in, I sent alvin an email about DDC and he recommended the Hermes when i told him that I am using a USB cable from my gaming pc which doesnt really have the cleanest of signals. When the DDC arrived, it was a revelation !!! Everything that i described about the pontus instantly became crystal clear. It sounded like a veil has been taken off the sound and pure music was entering my ears. It didnt change the sound of the dac but rather enhanced everything by making the sound cleaner.

Additionally, i have the Hermes DDC hooked up with both the Pontus and my Yggy. Its that good IMO. I am not suggesting that everyone with a USB dac needs a DDC but i can honeslty say that the Hermes DDC has taken my Pontus to another level. The sound difference is pretty evident and I cant even imagine using another dac without a DDC.
I2S out of the Hermes? Twittering Machines says without question I2S is the way to go. The cable conundrum for HDMI or I2S has kept me from making the jump. Especially because my Pontus is sounding phenomenal as is.

Dec 4, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #626 of 1,800
I2S out of the Hermes? Twittering Machines says without question I2S is the way to go. The cable conundrum for HDMI or I2S has kept me from making the jump. Especially because my Pontus is sounding phenomenal as is.
Yeah, the I2s is the way to go for the Hermes and Pontus 2. As far as configuring the I2s, its a few clicks and they sync up perfectly. there are youtube videos made by alvin about how to connect the DDC and the Pontus 2 using I2S.

Dec 4, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #627 of 1,800
Yeah, the I2s is the way to go for the Hermes and Pontus 2. As far as configuring the I2s, its a few clicks and they sync up perfectly. there are youtube videos made by alvin about how to connect the DDC and the Pontus 2 using I2S.
Thanks. It is my next move. The USBe is an amazing little device and my Pontus sounds incredible. Musical, incredible instrument placement, and impeccable sense of timing. About time to post a full impressions/review. I promised Alvin I would write up my thoughts.

Dec 4, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #628 of 1,800
Thanks. It is my next move. The USBe is an amazing little device and my Pontus sounds incredible. Musical, incredible instrument placement, and impeccable sense of timing. About time to post a full impressions/review. I promised Alvin I would write up my thoughts.
I hear ya but just wait till you get the Hermes or other DDC, you ll be blow away. At least i was. and I used to be 100% satisfied with the USB of my Pontus.

Dec 5, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #629 of 1,800
I hear ya but just wait till you get the Hermes or other DDC, you ll be blow away. At least i was. and I used to be 100% satisfied with the USB of my Pontus.
How do you like the GSX-Mini? I have a KG CFA3 in route.

Dec 5, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #630 of 1,800
Hello friends,

Existing setup = Soncoz LA-QXD1 -> Feliks Audio Esspressivo (TubeAmp) -> HD800s. I am sure I need to upgrade my dac.

I tried these setups -
  • Qutest -> GSX Mini -> HD800S. - Loved it. Qutest is a solid dac. There was a lot more air and better staging with it than my existing Soncoz dac. However, it did not sound full bodied.
  • Astell&Kern SP2k -> GSX Mini -> HD800S. It became bit intimate - less air and less breathing space, but a lot more weight.
I know Qutest has some limitations, but it’s good. Any suggestions for dac which has best of the above two setups? How about the Pontus 2? Will it fit my needs? Please suggest.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back