Denafrips 'Pontus' R2R ladder DAC - close up view
Feb 15, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #1,682 of 1,873
I understand perfectly, Denafrips Avatar is not able to output DSD via I2S, Coax, Toslink due to copying restrictions? All of his PCM findings?
It is CD player, it does not read SACD disks.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #1,684 of 1,873
Can anyone explain what exactly the two "AES" inputs are for on the Pontus DAC?

Pontus.jpg

Would have been nice to use them as normal L&R XLR inputs.

Thanks.

Feb 23, 2024 at 7:29 PM Post #1,685 of 1,873
Can anyone explain what exactly the two "AES" inputs are for on the Pontus DAC?

Pontus.jpg

Would have been nice to use them as normal L&R XLR inputs.

Thanks.
XLR are analog, AES is digital (stating this for those who may not know). Putting an analog source into a DAC defeats the purpose of a DAC.

As for your question - AES 1 and 2 are for separate sources that use AES, same reason there are two Coax inputs.

Now what really grinds my gears is how non of the hex nuts are lined up on the beauty shot....

Feb 24, 2024 at 8:25 AM Post #1,686 of 1,873
Hi.
Four years have passed since denafrips DDC was announced.

Some may have upgraded from IRIS to Hermes, some may have chosen Gaia, and some may have excluded DDC from their own systems.

I am at the crossroads of whether to include DDC.

What are the good and bad points of DDC, why I keep it and why I stopped.
Can anyone reiterate information about Denafrips DDC? thx

Feb 24, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #1,687 of 1,873
Some may have upgraded from IRIS to Hermes, some may have chosen Gaia, and some may have excluded DDC from their own systems.
I don't know anyone who would find DDC useless. It is rather matter of a scale of improvements, justifying a cost. But if you chose this one, there will be no turning back.

Feb 24, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #1,688 of 1,873
I don't know anyone who would find DDC useless. It is rather matter of a scale of improvements, justifying a cost. But if you chose this one, there will be no turning back.
I'll stick with the cheaper, but still highly rated, Denafrips Iris. For those who need more, maybe the higher priced Denafrips DDCs work for them.

Feb 24, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #1,689 of 1,873
what exactly do a ddc to the sound ?

Feb 24, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #1,690 of 1,873
what exactly do a ddc to the sound ?
This explains what a DDC is, and than talks about the Iris

This talks about why you want a DDC, than goes to Denafrips Iris

There are also other reviews / views online as well

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #1,691 of 1,873
XLR are analog, AES is digital (stating this for those who may not know). Putting an analog source into a DAC defeats the purpose of a DAC.

As for your question - AES 1 and 2 are for separate sources that use AES, same reason there are two Coax inputs.

Now what really grinds my gears is how non of the hex nuts are lined up on the beauty shot....
While I understand what AES is, and what the idea is, I guess I'm more of the why two AES inputs when you could have included perhaps a more universal connectivity option such as XLR or RCA type inputs. In a nutshell, I feel those inputs are taking away for more universal connectivity choices.

I won't even being using them when I get the Pontus and Iris DDC as I'll simply use the I2S connection. I'll be using the digital SPDIF connection to connect my Rotel CD player to the Pontus. That now leaves the two AES connections, a USB connection, Optical, and BNC connection. Neither of which I have use for, but definitely could use for example another set of XLR connections.

Anyway, that was the crux of my question - why two AES connection when there are more universal digital choices?

Feb 24, 2024 at 6:23 PM Post #1,693 of 1,873
The Terminator has a mode for dual AES from their DDCs. Not sure if that's the case with the Pontus too, or not.
Perhaps you mean both the Hemes and Gaia have dual AES Outputs and single AES input? Whereas the Iris simply has a single AES output and no AES input?

And BTW, the Terminator, like the Pontus (shown in my link above) and Venus, has the same dual AES inputs. In short, all DACS have dual AES inputs.
Either way, it has pretty much all the popular digital inputs covered.
Regardless, that hardly has anything to do with my question/observation of the need for AES inputs in lieu of other inputs.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #1,694 of 1,873
Not sure if your smelling what I'm stepping in, but I'm referencing a different protocol that uses two AES inputs together as a single digital input. Denafrips has this option on their flagship. That aside, I'm really not sure what other digital inputs you want on the Pontus. You keep referring to additional XLR inputs which are analog, and generally won't appear on a DAC. They definitely won't appear on a DAC with no output stage like the Pontus. If that's truly what you want, you should be looking at preamps with integrated DACs, not a stand alone DAC like the Pontus.

Feb 24, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #1,695 of 1,873
If that's truly what you want, you should be looking at preamps with integrated DACs, not a stand alone DAC like the Pontus.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/den...pdate-12th-anniv.967375/page-72#post-17984662

You can still have questions even on the item you intend to get.

Edit to say...

I get what you're saying and that would be cool if the Pontus did that. I'll ask Alvin about it.
I'm referencing a different protocol that uses two AES inputs together as a single digital input.
Peace :sunglasses:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back