Denafrips 'Pontus' R2R ladder DAC - close up view
Feb 27, 2024 at 8:53 PM Post #1,711 of 1,845
Pontus II 12th-1 DAC, Artemis Headphone amp, and Iris DDC....

Went to pull the trigger on this last night... and got cold feet.

Today, after thinking long and hard, I pulled the trigger and ordered. Now all there is left to do is wait for the arrival :sunglasses:
Congrats on your decision! Looking forward to your impressions!👍

Feb 27, 2024 at 11:29 PM Post #1,713 of 1,845
Can anyone explain what exactly the two "AES" inputs are for on the Pontus DAC?

Pontus.jpg

Would have been nice to use them as normal L&R XLR inputs.

Thanks.
The reason there are two AES/EBU digital inputs on Pontus (and higher Denafrips dac models) is to provide you the option to either connect two digital sources or they can be combined to connect one digital source but with separate left and right channels for better stereo separation. Hermes and Gaia DDCs have two AES outputs that can be configured to as one output for the left and right channel. This increases the DDC to output a higher sample rate to your Pontus at 384khz.

This means you now have a choice to use the combined AES connection with a higher sample rate to the Pontus same as if you used i2s input. Otherwise if you use only one AES input , its limited to 192khz.

I have tried both methods and I like what I am hearing with the dual AES inputs on the Pontus. I am still looking for a better set of AES cables to do more testing, but even with a cheap pair of AES cables, I can hear a more open soundstage and more inner detail than the i2s input that has a better cable. So there is potential upside using dual AES vs i2s (at least in my setup and my ears).

Feb 28, 2024 at 12:32 AM Post #1,715 of 1,845
The reason there are two AES/EBU digital inputs on Pontus (and higher Denafrips dac models) is to provide you the option to either connect two digital sources or they can be combined to connect one digital source but with separate left and right channels for better stereo separation. Hermes and Gaia DDCs have two AES outputs that can be configured to as one output for the left and right channel. This increases the DDC to output a higher sample rate to your Pontus at 384khz.

This means you now have a choice to use the combined AES connection with a higher sample rate to the Pontus same as if you used i2s input. Otherwise if you use only one AES input , its limited to 192khz.

I have tried both methods and I like what I am hearing with the dual AES inputs on the Pontus. I am still looking for a better set of AES cables to do more testing, but even with a cheap pair of AES cables, I can hear a more open soundstage and more inner detail than the i2s input that has a better cable. So there is potential upside using dual AES vs i2s (at least in my setup and my ears).
Thank you! Yeah, Alvin said basically same - dual AES is for Hermes, and Gaia, but your explanation is more detailed and clearer.

That said, I went Iris (not wanting to spend an additional 1000 bucks, which would have gone toward the Venus instead), so no option for dual AES connectivity. That said, I do plan on I2S connection to Pontus, however, I'll have to use at least an 8-foot HDMI cable because the Iris will be positioned away from the Pontus itself.

Hoping that's not an issue, but in case, I did buy a 10-Foot AES cable in case there are issues with the HDMI length (too long).

Feb 28, 2024 at 3:26 AM Post #1,716 of 1,845
This only tells you about the bad clock in your I2S source and its increased jitter.
It tells us something about one of two aspects of the S/PDIF type of connection.

1. A clock follows embedded clock of a source. In this aspect you might be right, as final jitter depends on a source jitter. However on another thought it shows a weaknes of such interpretation, as source clock is the same in both cases. It leads to a second cause.

2. Embedded clock on the connection carries intrinsic jitter (it adds its own portion to a source jitter). The amount is increasing with frequency. On the aggregated link frequency of the transmission is halved, so intrisic jitter is reduced by 3dB.

I included above analysis for a reason. It actually proves that quality of a source clock is not bad. In reverse to a claim. Jitter of a source clock must be much lower to the intrisic jitter of the AES connection, otherwise reduction of intrisic jitter by 3dB would go unnoticed.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #1,718 of 1,845
Can I stack both the Artemis (top) and Pontus (bottom) on each other, or are the heat monsters needing separation?

Thanks.
I can’t see why not, my Pontus is sandwiched between 2 pieces of gear without problems…

Feb 28, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #1,719 of 1,845
I can’t see why not, my Pontus is sandwiched between 2 pieces of gear without problems…
Sandwiched as in nothing between it but them - shelves?

Sorry, I ask because I've never owned class A components before, so I've no idea of the heat radiating off them. My Teac DAC never gets "hot" it pretty much stays warm to the touch. It might take couple of days before a cheap candle starts to melt on it, and that's only when it's on :relaxed:

Feb 28, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #1,720 of 1,845

Sorry, I ask because I've never owned class A components before, so I've no idea of the heat radiating off them. My Teac DAC never gets "hot" it pretty much stays warm to the touch. It might take couple of days before a cheap candle starts to melt on it, and that's only when it's on :relaxed:
Artemis on top :thumbsup:

Feb 28, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #1,721 of 1,845
Artemis on top :thumbsup:
Can I stack both the Artemis (top) and Pontus (bottom) on each other, ...
Yeah. Was also curious how hot the Pontus got.

My plan is to shelf above the CD player and stack the Pontus and Artemis on said shelf.

Dave-Brubeck-Time-Out.jpg

I'll figure it out one I get them.

Edit: Anyone know of something like this Burson Mothership Equipment Rack for the Pontus and Artemis?

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #1,722 of 1,845
My Pontus 2 doesn't get anywhere close to warm and I leave it on 24/7. But if the Artemis is Class A all the way, then it should get pretty hot and would make sense to be on top of the Pontus.

Let us know how the Artemis performs, I was debating buying it or the Schiit Mjolnir 3 last year, but ended up with the Schiit.

Feb 28, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #1,723 of 1,845
yeah same my Pontus II doesnt even get remotely warm. I have my Hermes on top of mine, neither of them get warm at all.

Feb 28, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #1,724 of 1,845

Yes, no shelf between. RMEADI2fs > Pontus > Sony universal disc player… None of them produce much heat…

Feb 28, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #1,725 of 1,845
My Pontus 2 doesn't get anywhere close to warm and I leave it on 24/7. But if the Artemis is Class A all the way, then it should get pretty hot and would make sense to be on top of the Pontus.

Let us know how the Artemis performs, I was debating buying it or the Schiit Mjolnir 3 last year, but ended up with the Schiit.
yeah same my Pontus II doesnt even get remotely warm. I have my Hermes on top of mine, neither of them get warm at all.
Yes, no shelf between. RMEADI2fs > Pontus > Sony universal disc player… None of them produce much heat…
Thanks to all, I'm clear now. Also good to know the Pontus doesn't get hot :thumbsup:

Just trying to get things measured up and pre-set prior to receiving my shipment. Also trying to make sure I have everything needed.

Nothing to do but wait now. Though I'm sure I'll have a thousand questions before arrival so please bear with me. It's nervous energy 😯

Users who are viewing this thread

Back