DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Jan 9, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #1,042 of 1,189
lol I think they need you to actually take a screw driver and open the unit and take a picture of the FPGA chip.

At least I did it for the Ares II.

Something like this:

https://www.vinshine.audio/denafrips-fpga-firmware-update
Depending on when you purchased it they can use your serial number to identify the chip. I bought mine in November and it came with the latest firmware. I emailed them and asked for the FW downloads just in case I wanted to "play" with the different updates and all they needed was the serial number. For older models it doesn't seem like they kept track.

Jan 31, 2024 at 1:44 AM Post #1,046 of 1,189
My experience with the firmware update with T II from 2021.

First time flashing 3.7: sound is thinner/brighter/less bassy and somehow weird and the high end is more attached to the speakers. The aes/ebu changed the setting to "dual aes/ebu" for some reason and my cd-player did not work until I changed it back.

After 30 minutes I sanity checked myself and flashed back to 1.0. Sounds normal like before.

Second flashing 3.7, sound balance is not thin anymore and sounds normal denafrips, but different than 1.0. Like a slightly darker background and better separation between sounds. The aes/ebu setting did not go crazy this time like as on the first flash, expected it to happen but for some reason didnt. Sounds good, now I prefer the 3.7.

I suggest anyone to try to flash the 3.7 in two times if the sound is weird, bright and high end too prominent on the first try. Something changed on the second flash at least for me on the quite old T II🤔

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #1,048 of 1,189
I would remind all that have updated their firmware only to shortly after change back that Vinshine has explicitly indicated that there is a break in period for the update. I understand that for many the idea of firmware breaking in is ridiculous but I know that my Ares II sounded a lot better after even a couple days with the update then it it did immediately after.

So you might consider taking the manufacturers advice and sitting with the update for awhile before making your decision to revert back. I’ve found the new update not lacking in any of the positive qualities of the original firmware but simply and subtly advancing the overall sound to improve clarity and dynamics.

Feb 3, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #1,049 of 1,189
I would remind all that have updated their firmware only to shortly after change back that Vinshine has explicitly indicated that there is a break in period for the update. I understand that for many the idea of firmware breaking in is ridiculous but I know that my Ares II sounded a lot better after even a couple days with the update then it it did immediately after.
Yes. I think if you read back through this thread you'll find many of us (me included) note a significant change/improvement in the new firmware after dozens to hundreds of hours. Whatever the "theoretical" arguments are regarding firmware break in I trust my ears.

Feb 3, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #1,050 of 1,189
...I understand that for many the idea of firmware breaking in is ridiculous ...
I'd consider myself in the "puzzled and amused" camp regarding this -- but I can happily confirm that firmware break-in / burn-in is a thing with Denafrips DACs.
Seems to have to do with the FPGA.

BTW, if I remember correctly from the good ol' computer tuning days - overclocking CPUs tended to also show some sort of break-in behaviour. After a while of running overclocked, the CPU voltage could be reduced a little, in case it needed to be increased in the first place to allow for higher clock speeds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back