DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Jul 13, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #856 of 1,124
I have the original Ares II. I have about 15 hours on this new 1.8 version. I have been in electronics for many years, now retired. I have no explanation for it but there is a burn in issue with this software upgrade. It sounds much better after several hours. I cannot explain that but the difference is real. I am now a full supporter of this 1.8 firmware. There is improvement in several areas over the original and 1.6 firmware. The bass is obviously better and so is the soundstage presentation. Tonality also seems to have improved a bit over the midrange of 1.6. In all I am very pleased but astounded at the burn in issue. I cannot justify any electronic reason for it.
Got a little curious after reading this post and decided to revert back to the original firmware just to see if there was a noticeable difference or if my head was playing games. Nope, there's a clear improvement with v3.12. I wouldn't say the sound ''collapsed'', but there's a significant change in clarity and soundstage depth/width. Kind of felt like comparing a mirror before and after a shower, one image felt foggier and wasn't telling the whole story. Texture, micro details, bass authority, balance, etc.. all of it improved with the new flash. Used the DCA Expanse for the comparison and it's neutral tuning highlighted the differences nicely.

Jul 13, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #857 of 1,124
For about the first 36 hours after I updated my Ares II to v1.8 FPGA firmware I wasn't sure if I like the sound signature of v1.8. I noted that with v1.8 the clarity has improved, the bass is more articulated and less boomy. However, overall I felt the tonality of v1.8 a bit clinical and less "musical" than that of v1.0. Also the music notes seem to be rendered a tad bit less "weight" with my all-tubes system. I then left my Ares II on (and playing Naim Jazz radio) for another 36 hours. After that, to my surprise the sound signature of v1.8 has drastically improved. The "clinical" tonality aspect of my initial impression is gone. After more burn-in hours, I find v1.8 retains much of the sound signature of v1.0 but it has better clarity and better instrument presentation on sound stage. Still I find v1.0 more forgiving if the recording is a bit bright and edgy. Whereas v1.8 excels on good recordings but less forgiving on bad recordings. More details is retrieved with v1.8 and this only works out well if the recording is good. Yes, v1.0 is a bit "muddy" (relatively speaking), but it tends to deliver a pleasant listening experience especially for long listening session. My Ares II now has v1.8 for about 72 hours. I'm keeping it at this point. Kudos to Denafrips and team for the effort involved to deliver the firmware upgrade.

Jul 14, 2023 at 4:01 AM Post #858 of 1,124
For about the first 36 hours after I updated my Ares II to v1.8 FPGA firmware I wasn't sure if I like the sound signature of v1.8. I noted that with v1.8 the clarity has improved, the bass is more articulated and less boomy. However, overall I felt the tonality of v1.8 a bit clinical and less "musical" than that of v1.0. Also the music notes seem to be rendered a tad bit less "weight" with my all-tubes system. I then left my Ares II on (and playing Naim Jazz radio) for another 36 hours. After that, to my surprise the sound signature of v1.8 has drastically improved. The "clinical" tonality aspect of my initial impression is gone. After more burn-in hours, I find v1.8 retains much of the sound signature of v1.0 but it has better clarity and better instrument presentation on sound stage. Still I find v1.0 more forgiving if the recording is a bit bright and edgy. Whereas v1.8 excels on good recordings but less forgiving on bad recordings. More details is retrieved with v1.8 and this only works out well if the recording is good. Yes, v1.0 is a bit "muddy" (relatively speaking), but it tends to deliver a pleasant listening experience especially for long listening session. My Ares II now has v1.8 for about 72 hours. I'm keeping it at this point. Kudos to Denafrips and team for the effort involved to deliver the firmware upgrade.

This pretty much echoes my experience of v1.0 versus v1.4 on my Pontus 12th. The latter can sound spectacular, and it's the one I'm currently listening to.

I would add, however, that there is one downside I can't ignore that v1.4 brings to the table. Female vocals tend to have a hardness to them, and perhaps a slight haze. That I've found myself listening to mostly female vocal music recently makes this a critical consideration.

Jul 16, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #859 of 1,124
I never believed in the notion that firmware could "burn in" but i now am either a believer or completely nuts, let me explain. From the first few hours the firmware version 1.8 sounded fantastic, but after a few days it became irritating, too much energy in the top end the bass became boomy and muddy to the point it was killing the mid range, i nearly went back to version 1.0. I decided to stick with it and played IsoTek - High Resolution Full System Enhancer. 2nd Edition track 01 Full System Burn-In Demag every night when i went to bed, after about 4/5 days the sound became tonally the same as version 1.0 but just better, more detail, better sound stage, better separation of instruments more 3 dimensional, it is not as forgiving on bad recordings (few and far between) but the good ones are better.

Jul 16, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #860 of 1,124
I never believed in the notion that firmware could "burn in" but i now am either a believer or completely nuts...
... don't fear. It seems to be a matter of fact, even if nay-sayers exist because they would like to - but don't - understand. I gave up on wanting to understand everything in HiFi, I trust my ears.
For my Venus (II) there's still only the March '23 version - the middle one. As hundreds reported it sounded a little harsh and overly bright initially, but has completely smoothed out now.
I do still prefer the old sound signature (pre 12th) on my Venus II -- because it has more visceral "grit" in the mids.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #861 of 1,124
Tried upgrading to v1.8 and the terminal app is telling me "line 7: ./xprogmac: No such file or directory"

Anyone else run into this problem?

Jul 16, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #862 of 1,124
Tried upgrading to v1.8 and the terminal app is telling me "line 7: ./xprogmac: No such file or directory"

Anyone else run into this problem?
I have heard of a couple issues with the prosses using Mac. I use a Windows 11 machine and have had no problems flashing multiple times. Alvin can give you advise on this error if you reach out to him. Good luck.

Jul 16, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #863 of 1,124
Just back to v3.7 {Tplus) yesterday. No huge expectation as expected mid will not warm compare v1.0. Decided just continue with this version. Am waiting for miracle as many of you have managed to find it.
After 8hrs play, still find it a bit bright. Will see how it goes next week

Jul 16, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #864 of 1,124
Just back to v3.7 {Tplus) yesterday. No huge expectation as expected mid will not warm compare v1.0. Decided just continue with this version. Am waiting for miracle as many of you have managed to find it.
It takes 100+ hours to burn in IME...

Jul 17, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #867 of 1,124
20hrs progress seem positive. I can heard got difference. Piano, instrument more pleasant feel. The mid still lack of warmest, but more okay than 1st hour. No dare to revert back to rev 1.0 now. Worry spoil my v3.7 experiment!!
I no turn on 24/7. And need 8 to 9 days to reach 100hrs milestone.

Jul 17, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #868 of 1,124
20hrs progress seem positive. I can heard got difference. Piano, instrument more pleasant feel. The mid still lack of warmest, but more okay than 1st hour. No dare to revert back to rev 1.0 now. Worry spoil my v3.7 experiment!!

Just wait enough time, it will get slowly better and then, nearly after 200h/250h, i big increase in less than 72h (very surprising, this surprised me a lot)
And the result will be very far better than original firmware into all aspect.
Since I'm at v3.7, going back to original firmware is like playing mp3 files with a big lose of 3D !

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #869 of 1,124

On my T2 I heard a big improvement after 48 hours. And then incremental improvement after that. FWIW/YMMV and all that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back