DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Jul 9, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #842 of 1,124
The bass, acoustic spacial cues and warm mid-range for me is why I kept reverting to v1.0. The V1.6 or 12th firmware the improvements were imaging, timbre maybe but the bass was bumped up in the mid bass and sounded thumpy and not as nuanced as V1.0. Imaging was more focused but a little 2D also the mid-range seemed pushed forward a bit on v1.6 Now this Latest 1.8 firmware Has improved the bass immensely deep and articulate, the mid-range is just settling down after about 15hrs to be the perfect placement to the image and luscious to my ears. overall timbre has improved Xylophone, Piano never sounded so real. Quite an amazing feat for Denafrips. I would encourage everyone to give this latest firmware a try. Also no glitches but it is running quite a bit warmer on the latest.
After a few hours of listening to some heavy rock and electronica, I agree that v1.8 greatly improves the bass articulation. Less muddy and disjointed compared to v1.6. Not convinced timbre increased, as the treble energy has decreased, but this has been my favorite take yet, though I can see how some easy listening genres can benefit from v1.6.

Jul 9, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #843 of 1,124
After a few hours of listening to some heavy rock and electronica, I agree that v1.8 greatly improves the bass articulation. Less muddy and disjointed compared to v1.6. Not convinced timbre increased, as the treble energy has decreased, but this has been my favorite take yet, though I can see how some easy listening genres can benefit from v1.6.
Better timbre as compared to v1.0 my previous favorite. This latest 1.8 is my new favorite too. As to the reduced gain anyone else experience this?

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2023 at 11:53 PM Post #844 of 1,124
I believe your chip is EP4CE6F correct?
Yes you are correct my Ares 2 chip is the EP4CE6F one, really enjoying this update it cleared up the micro skip issue that was happening about 2 seconds into songs on tidal whenever there was a change in resolution. Was noticeable when listening to playlist.

The bass impact is improved, heck most of the comments I‘m seeing on the Ares2 1.8 firmware improvements apply also to the EP4CE6F chipped Ares 2.

Jul 10, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #845 of 1,124
I just updated my Ares II to the latest 1.3 version.Just curious,is it recommended to burn for a couple hundred hours to get the max out of the update as was instructed on the previous version?

Jul 10, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #846 of 1,124
I just updated my Ares II to the latest 1.3 version.Just curious,is it recommended to burn for a couple hundred hours to get the max out of the update as was instructed on the previous version?
Don't know - wild guess:
If the very latest firmware was programmed in a similar way compared to the first "12th anniversary" version, burn in may not have an effect.
On the other hand... if the very latest version uses a different pattern again on the FPGA, it just might.

Now - there you go...

Jul 10, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #847 of 1,124
This is almost funny. I have the original Aries II and upgraded it to 1.6 when that came out. I enjoy that so much I am afraid to even try 1.8 in case something goes wrong. Honestly I find the 1.6 version on my Ares II such an improvement I am not sure I want to upgrade to 1.8. I am a compulsive guy so I will probably try that at some point. I can't really see there is much room for improvement. Maybe 1.6 just hits all my personal likes.

Jul 10, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #849 of 1,124
I’ve read most of the posts pertaining to the Version 1.8 firmware upgrade for the Ares ii 12th Anniversary.
I’ve logged 20 odd hours with the firmware and it’s engrossing in its wide scope of improvements. Whether listening to “Something Else” by Cannonball Adderley in Sacd; Marcus Miller’s Afrodeezia”; Herbie’s “Chameleon” or flipping the switch to something like Janis Joplin’s “Ball and Chain” Live at Winterland and finally “Vladimir Horowitz Live in Moscow” or Keith Jarrett’s, “Koln Concert” I’m toe tapping and/or getting goosebumps.

-Klipsch Heresy’s with new tweeters, woofers and Crossovers including capacitors
-SVS PB 1000 subwoofer
-Simaudio Moon 340 NEO intergrated amp
-Rotel CD14
-Sony 800M2 SACD
-Technics 1600 SL with Stanton 681 EEE. Cartridge/stylus

It doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg to liven up your ears.

Jul 11, 2023 at 5:11 AM Post #850 of 1,124
Updated the FPGA firmware for my Ares2 yesterday, v1.3 in my case. Process was straightforward, partly because I have done this before for a Pontus 2 12th ed. The Ares2 now sounds like it has taken a definite step up in sound quality. Comparing to the Pontus 2 12th ed (v1.4) side-by-side, the Pontus is still the better DAC with a bigger and deeper sound, but the Ares2 is now closer to it after the upgrade. Levels of detail retrieval are now getting quite similar between these two DACs. Very pleasant to hear the new Ares2, well done to Vinshine and Denafrips for their work on this FPGA firmware.

Jul 11, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #851 of 1,124
Don't know - wild guess:
If the very latest firmware was programmed in a similar way compared to the first "12th anniversary" version, burn in may not have an effect.
On the other hand... if the very latest version uses a different pattern again on the FPGA, it just might.

Now - there you go...
I contacted Vinshine Audio to see what they would say,according to them burn-in is required exactly the same as the previous update.It did seem a little muddy and congested,could be in my head but it seems to be getting better.

Jul 11, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #852 of 1,124
I contacted Vinshine Audio to see what they would say,according to them burn-in is required exactly the same as the previous update.It did seem a little muddy and congested,could be in my head but it seems to be getting better.
thanks for sharing!

Jul 12, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #853 of 1,124
I have the original Ares II. I have about 15 hours on this new 1.8 version. I have been in electronics for many years, now retired. I have no explanation for it but there is a burn in issue with this software upgrade. It sounds much better after several hours. I cannot explain that but the difference is real. I am now a full supporter of this 1.8 firmware. There is improvement in several areas over the original and 1.6 firmware. The bass is obviously better and so is the soundstage presentation. Tonality also seems to have improved a bit over the midrange of 1.6. In all I am very pleased but astounded at the burn in issue. I cannot justify any electronic reason for it.

Jul 12, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #854 of 1,124
I have the original Ares II. I have about 15 hours on this new 1.8 version. I have been in electronics for many years, now retired. I have no explanation for it but there is a burn in issue with this software upgrade. It sounds much better after several hours. I cannot explain that but the difference is real. I am now a full supporter of this 1.8 firmware. There is improvement in several areas over the original and 1.6 firmware. The bass is obviously better and so is the soundstage presentation. Tonality also seems to have improved a bit over the midrange of 1.6. In all I am very pleased but astounded at the burn in issue. I cannot justify any electronic reason for it.
Version 1.0 became a bit muddy after burn in but version 1.8 was much more articulated when implemented and 20 odd hours is a new step upward. A wonderful surprise awaits those who give this firmware version a try and give it some time to marinade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back