DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
May 26, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #586 of 1,124
My ares II has been on or in standby since I got it

May 26, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #588 of 1,124
I leave my Pontus on 24/7 but never the amps

Now my conscience is making me feel bad. At least my amplifier is not pure class A. But I get your point
1 single trip with a private jet from any politician or millionare will contaminte more than 1000 dacs on for 10 years
Agenda of Scam!

May 26, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #590 of 1,124
Do you find that you need to let them run for a bit before they hit full song starting from cold?
First thing is the morning I power it on (v281) then make coffee etc... Over 20 mins have passed already and it sounds wonderful already!

May 26, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #592 of 1,124
Not being Alvin: Sure, why not...
Hard to tell after firmware update, over time stress the FPGA , need further advise from audio professional 😀

May 27, 2023 at 1:12 AM Post #593 of 1,124
First thing is the morning I power it on (v281) then make coffee etc... Over 20 mins have passed already and it sounds wonderful already!
In my system (classic stereo, no headphone use) I don't feel the system sounds ugly when cold. But I also think it gets a little smoother when warmed up. The difference it subtle though.

May 27, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #594 of 1,124
I leave my Pontus on 24/7 but never the amps

1 single trip with a private jet from any politician or millionare will contaminte more than 1000 dacs on for 10 years
Agenda of Scam!
Fair point, but we shouldn't use the excuse of someone else's bad act to avoid performing a small good act.

As John McClane once exclaimed in Die Hard, if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

May 28, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #595 of 1,124
Couldn't resist and listened to the 12th firmware again on my Venus II. Mainly listened to Vulfpeck's "Schvitz" via Qobuz.
After my first A/B/A listening sessions some weeks ago I clearly prefered the old sound signature.
I am not so sure any more about my preference towards the old / pre-12th sound signature.

The drive/kick/PRAT with the new version is now without doubt better. Guess I will leave new 12th firmware on for a while and observe. Listening fatigue is a non-issue with the new f/w after its burn in.

One thing: the "NOS" mode now is quite interesting - is has a slightly lighter, but tighter bass at the cost of some spatial resolution quality.

=== Edit one week later ===
Really hard. I like the "clarity" aspect of the new f/w for Venus, but the original version simply has much more body. Listening to orchestral music, the original firmware is it. Strings have so much more volume and realism.
Note, that there is currently only 1 "new" f/w for Venus -- it is the sound signature that corresponds to the 1.3 with Pontus, if I'm not mistaken. So the 1.4 Pontus has no equivalent in Venus f/w at the moment. (June 4th)

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #597 of 1,124
Couldn't resist and listened to the 12th firmware again on my Venus II. Mainly listened to Vulfpeck's "Schvitz" via Qobuz.
After my first A/B/A listening sessions some weeks ago I clearly prefered the old sound signature.
I am not so sure any more about my preference towards the old / pre-12th sound signature.

The drive/kick/PRAT with the new version is now without doubt better. Guess I will leave new 12th firmware on for a while and observe. Listening fatigue is a non-issue with the new f/w after its burn in.

One thing: the "NOS" mode now is quite interesting - is has a slightly lighter, but tighter bass at the cost of some spatial resolution quality.
I agree, I'm loving NOS with 1.4 and so far so good. I won't go crazy with this firmware thing, as soon as I want to get a warmer presentation I'll take 2 minutes max

Loving my Pontus since I got it and never looked for any other DAC and it's over 2 years already

May 31, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #598 of 1,124
A few pages back I wrote a small review of v1.3(3.3 on their site) on my pontus ii (2021), I installed 1.4 a little while ago when they made it available and I agree with others that it has a sound closer to the 1.0 but it also retained the more detailed highs and separation. Overall I like it and would be happy with either.

For 1.3 I had a bug where if I use coaxial output every now and then it would not read any streaming coming into it, it was resolvable right away if I toggled through the inputs - vinshine asked me to try using toslink instead and there was no issues with that at all.

For 1.4 I have a bug where streaming would quite often and suddenly for half a second sound like it's been forward queued (like on vinyl if you mix/dj), again, this only happened with coaxial. I was quite puzzled so I decided to check settings inside bluesound app on my phone and realize i had "output level fixed" turned on, I've since turned it off and even though I get that bug still but it is much much less frequent. I've since switched to toslink and again like 1.3 there are no issues when I use that instead of coaxial.

Pretty strange but I don't hear a difference between the input types so it's not too much of an issue for me but thought I would share incase others have the same issue. v1.0 was totally fine for me for all input types.

Jun 1, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #599 of 1,124
IMG_20230601_160256.jpg

Just updated v3.7 to my T+ 12th .. update was not that smooth as my current win 11 pc does not has proper config file. Previous update was on another win 10 pc. Took me some time to figure it out. But still within an hour job, not too bad.
I2s now need to set to 111 at dac, with dsd left right channels swap in order to work.
For sound, it show some differences, Need more time to observe ...
I have not decide wanna try older version, as each update require difference i2s setting ... Will let it run a couple weeks and see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back