DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Apr 17, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #286 of 1,181
My system is listed in a post on page 18. It has a balanced warm and smooth tonally rich sound…but still has lots of detail, bass extension, soundstage width and depth. I love it… It handles most everything 85%-90% of the time with no Loki Max trimming.…It's not perfect, but I was at a happy place…that is…UNTIL….the new firmware…LOL!
I did not understand how much my Pontus II DAC was contributing to that Incredibly balanced, smooth detailed sound. After reloading V1.0 FW on Saturday morning, I have done a bit of listening. The new firmware was a little tighter in the bass and MUCH more detailed in the highs, but thinner with less body. This was exciting and interesting for about a day. 🙂 I soon realized that I had to trim every song with my equalizer and I could not get it back to the smiling place that I had before I updated it. Something more primary had changed that I do not have the tech ability to explain, perhaps. All I know is that as soon as I reinstalled V1.0 Firmware the magic is back, absolutely no "burn-in" required. It's wonderful.
Yes…having more choices is better for everyone. No doubt. If another firmware is released, I will wait for you guys to try it and give feed back and perhaps I will give it a go…There is no risk now that I have my beautiful sound back. I learned so much thru this experience, am better with my computer, understanding my system AND am a waaaay better listener. It’s ALL GOOD! 😎👍🏼
as an example of a transport altering the texture and tonality SO MUCH in 'the den' system 'so much', was when I installed a better DAP (Questyle QP1R)..
I literally had to trim the subwoofer a couple of decibels.
when we get a nice stream of zeros and ones, rather than a fudged stream, sometimes the note 'weight' can change.

of course my anecdote is not about an R2R DAC,.. and if limited value.. but I am aware that some system 'front end changes' leave users adjusting the toe in on their speakers (absolutely NOT recommending this right now- familiar base line is oh so important to compare, erm 'familiar bass lines', as an example..)

It is a hard thing, as- for example-, any given preamp might favour a certain audio pairing,.. and much of this stuff is system dependent and ultimatley highly personal.

If I was listening to Florence and the Machine, trying to hear the harp strings durings a high volume passage in a rock song,.. the replacement firmware might make that one instrument really stand out.

what I like about @PoMarantz post' is acknowledging the soundfield space. for me that is 'a lot of the game'.
having read about parallels (firmware in other r2r DACs altering soundfield/'thinness of instruments notes etc') paying attention to the characteristics we seek is where it is at.

as someone who rolls firmwares on an iFi Diablo sometimes (GTO filter as an example), their top end product allows changing between them practically 'on the fly', and that of course would be helpful in fast A/B comparisons.

this isnt an easy thing... it generally takes weeks of familiarity, a range of recordings and 'trusting your tapping toes' (that is the win 'for me')

consumers generally can handle two choices before getting overwhelmed.
certainly want the DAC to have 1000 hours on it before taking this too seriously though, cause 'breakin' might alter ultimate findings anyway, if testing firmwares is done too soon.

I'd say- lets NOT make this flavour of the moment- lets savour the range of options.
even to point of listening tests with friends over a few weekends if that helps.
I do not have the golden ears of others I know.. people whose visits (and advice) I love to hear.

fun times :)

Apr 17, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #288 of 1,181
About the FW 1.0: is this really just the previous version?
The sound seems to be even better than I can remember!...
I am in hi-fi heaven :)

A side note: I am curious, wondering what a Hermes DDC could improve the sound in my system...

Apr 17, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #289 of 1,181

A side note: I am curious, wondering what a Hermes DDC could improve the sound in my system...
the sound is the same, you just missed it hahaha.
Same for me 😉

Apr 17, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #291 of 1,181

Maybe opening and burning in different logic gates during the update on the chip helped the overall performance of the DAC =? Just guessing :) :)

Apr 17, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #292 of 1,181
Apr 17, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #296 of 1,181
the sound is the same, you just missed it hahaha.
Same for me 😉
I use a Hermes DDC with my Pontus II 12th edition and find I like the upgraded firmware v1.3 rather than the originally provided firmware, I use the I2S HDMI connection between the two. You can set the I2S pinouts separately on both the DDC and DAC so easy connection. The Hermes adds I think extra precision in the spatial display of the soundscape, and hence gives extra clarity along with general noise reduction to your hifi chain. I also have the Iris DDC and it does a good job in cleaning up USB sources, but the Hermes is more versatile with lots of digital inputs possible. Another plus point for any DDC is that you can connect lots of downstream DACs and compare them, as the digital outputs are all simultaneous. Very nice digital switchboard is how I think of the Hermes. Once in the chain, it will stay for good !

Apr 17, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #297 of 1,181
Hi.

I just rolled back my Ares II. Do I need to disable WIndows signed driver enforcement everytime? After doing so I realized that maybe it was not necessary once the configuration driver was already installed, am I right?

Now the DENAFRIPS USB Audio Device Control Panel reads something different than before. It used to read something like: Hi-Res .........., then it changed to DENAFRIPS USB 3.12 A22FA 1.6 after the firmware update, and now after the roll back it reads DENAFRIPS USB 3.12 A22FA 1.0
I'm guessing they just changed the name but it's the same, isn't it? Who knows? :see_no_evil::slight_smile:

Thanks.

Apr 17, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #298 of 1,181
Hi.

I just rolled back my Ares II. Do I need to disable WIndows signed driver enforcement everytime? After doing so I realized that maybe it was not necessary once the configuration driver was already installed, am I right?

Now the DENAFRIPS USB Audio Device Control Panel reads something different than before. It used to read something like: Hi-Res .........., then it changed to DENAFRIPS USB 3.12 A22FA 1.6 after the firmware update, and now after the roll back it reads DENAFRIPS USB 3.12 A22FA 1.0
I'm guessing they just changed the name but it's the same, isn't it? Who knows? :see_no_evil::slight_smile:

Thanks.
Yes, no need to disable windows signed driver enforcement

You have everything perfect if it says 3.12 A22FA 1.0 :D

Apr 17, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #300 of 1,181
:eyes: :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back