DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Apr 16, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #271 of 1,181
Interesting to see that most people who rolled back to 1.0 are happy and think it is better than the updated version, even some of those who initially liked the update. Does that mean Denafrips' first attempt for firmware update failed?

Apr 16, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #272 of 1,181
I'm addicted to 1.0, can't stop playing music haha

Interesting to see that most people who rolled back to 1.0 are happy and think it is better than the updated version, even some of those who initially liked the update. Does that mean Denafrips' first attempt for firmware update failed?

First impressions were great for me, it sounded like brand new, soon to realize I wanted to go back. I'm pretty sure it ain't a fail and there's many many systems were the upgrade is phenomenal

Apr 16, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #274 of 1,181
I received the FUT link yesterday from Vinshine and installed the v1.0 firmware on my Pontus II 12th - firmware that never shipped on the 12th edition of the DAC. I now find the sound in my system much better, less fatiguing and the highs are easier to bring under control via other tweaks if necessary. Although it has been a stressful couple months since I received the Pontus II 12th assessing whether I was happy with my purchase, I now am. I am grateful that Vinshine has made both versions of the firmware available so owners can select which has the best synergy with their systems and closest provides their desired sound. I also look forward to hearing a v1.4 of the firmware at some point, but with Vinshine's making v1.0 available again I believe they have bought themselves time to really refine the next release, they should no longer feel pressured to release a v1.4 in the next week as they may have aimed. The fall-out among some Pontus II owners (possibly a minority, but still significant) about the sound of v1.3 is now not an issue. Although providing the option of both firmwares may not be an obvious business choice, I think it was best and commend Denafrips/Vinshine for doing so.

Apr 16, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #275 of 1,181
I wonder what the % is of listeners who returned to the original firmware? The difference in sound in my system between the two versions was very significant. I find it surprising that some are staying with the new firmware update, truly.

Apr 16, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #276 of 1,181
I wonder what the % is of listeners who returned to the original firmware? The difference in sound in my system between the two versions was very significant. I find it surprising that some are staying with the new firmware update, truly.
Very very hard to beat 1.0... Extremely rich harmonically speaking, you feel it instantly. Gets you immersed in the music

It feels like non linear sounding, like tube amp with the best NOS tubes but keeping all details, resolution... So engaging

Apr 16, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #277 of 1,181
I'll see with which sw option the P2/12 (that I ordered a few days ago from Alvin) will arrive, after discussing with him on the best optimization in the light of what was said on the forum.
I have two systems, one high efficiency and tube, and one solid state class A. I don't listen with headphones.
It will be interesting to understand if P2/12 is also satisfactory with the latest Sw, or if I will be interested in the previous one. Or whether to wait for the next one. Let's hope everything goes right the first time (I don't like playing on Mac)

Apr 16, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #278 of 1,181
How can we download the old firmware? Can you please post a link?
In the meantime, we have uploaded the Original Firmware (v1.0) on the FUT download links. You may download and update the DAC with the original firmware to suit your needs & taste.

Its on the download page according to the email but he didnt provide a link.

Apr 16, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #279 of 1,181
Apr 16, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #280 of 1,181
It must be a big % of owners who complained directly to Vinshine about the different/worse sound they experienced with the new firmware. This thread played a big part in convincing the manufacturer to admit that they have moved to the wrong direction in voicing their equipment. They chose to leave behind the well known and loved Denafrips sound for a different sound that some liked for reasons specific to their partnering equipment. On the positive side, the whole matter showed that Denafrips care about the opinion of their customers and took immediately all the necessary measures. Well done!

Apr 16, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #281 of 1,181
I think what Denafrips does is amazing and unprecedented. Imagine that in a moment, if they actually improve this new firmware, we will have practically three different sound signatures in one device. This can lead to some users stopping changing their toys in search of a different sound. All you have to do is upload another soft. And we already have two different firmware 😁 . By the way, it's amazing how you can quickly, cheaply and easily change the sound to one that you like more. Bravo Denafrips and Vinshine 👍

Apr 17, 2023 at 1:39 AM Post #282 of 1,181
havent read full thread yet... if tolerances to jitter have been altered at all, via FPGA reprogramming, transport (upstream) digital SENDING might make the world of difference.

if anyone wants to note what their transport is (and cables/power filtration used etc) and what mode they are gunning for (NOS/OS), that would be helpful..

(combined with preferred sound (traits therein found from 'upgrade' or 'rollback'))

back in the day (nineties) NOS mode was the hardest to pull off an required exceptional transports to do well

Apr 17, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #283 of 1,181
It must be a big % of owners who complained directly to Vinshine about the different/worse sound they experienced with the new firmware. This thread played a big part in convincing the manufacturer...
Not necessarily.

If PC gaming is representative of a parallel,..
the squeaky wheel gets the oil, sure.
;but I would argue the internet is NOT representative of'the real world'.
Like all situations- happy users are simply 'off enjoying their equipment'.
(I have had many games downgraded because 'the noise' gets their wish and my enjoyable Ultra settings are downgraded... (because others want more framerate...))

It is sometimes just a case that reading a non representative sample looks at odds with the reality.

Vinshine had quoted over 500 had asked for the upgrade (?) and we wouldnt have 50 people complaining here....

Not arguing/ or disagreeing with the theme as it is being discussed. (this is an exceptional case of customer service channels RISING to the challenge and hitting it OUT OF THE PARK)
Moments like this make me see how wonderful being apart of this community truly is.
Being a long time salivator for Denefrips product lines, service and relations like this is a better 'advertising strategy' than a glossy ad in some magazine or paid for reviews etc..

Whilst I see comparisons from audio stores where team members do not even have playlists that show up differences between DACs, let alone differing DAC architectures; most consumers and, by extension, 'some head-fiers' would hardly know what traits to search for..

Pleasing sound is not always more honest, and many setting off on an audio recreation 'understanding' journey, haven't so much as sorted their recordings (yet) between 'great' and 'mainstream(for the radio)'...

For decades now I have simply left some discs in the 'theatre setup' as those same discs are a 'hard listen' in the 'den two-channel rig'.
Finding out this stuff is a large part of the journey.

We can all tout the 'greatest recordings', but they do not always sort the wheat from the chaff..
often for me it can be some ancient blues recording, or more eclectically, projects like "One Giant Leap" (enjoyable because of the coalaborations and having 'something for everyone', and artists we may recognise even if the music is something 'we may not')

1GiantLeap, second project "What About Me" is a personal favourite I buy every time I see it (thrift/'opportunity' stores etc)
as my counterpoint- Chris Isaac albums sometimes make DAC selection near impossible to discern (even in fast A/B switching) for me.

quite often any given passage on any given album can prove epic for testing, but 'which rendition is better' is of course subjective.
Sometimes a DAC making a playback 'nicer', to me, is 'not ideal'.
I avoid kit that homogenises the sound, and review words akin to 'makes everything sound great' (guilty myself of enthusiastically writing no doubt) often get my spidey sense tingling.
I want bad recordings to sound bad if only for academic reasons.

Chord DACs don't do that for me... (everything is 'great'). I no longer have a Chord DAC because I am happy to seperate my recordings between systems.

Not attacking anyone with these notions- I personally am all for choice, and firmware rolling for different sound profile is something I buy into.
Exceptional work team Denefrips/Vinshine doing the 'due dilligence'.
Top tier teamwork and customer service, 'well done' :)

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #284 of 1,181
Not necessarily.

If PC gaming is representative of a parallel,..
the squeaky wheel gets the oil, sure.
;but I would argue the internet is NOT representative of'the real world'.
Like all situations- happy users are simply 'off enjoying their equipment'.
(I have had many games downgraded because 'the noise' gets their wish and my enjoyable Ultra settings are downgraded... (because others want more framerate...))

It is sometimes just a case that reading a non representative sample looks at odds with the reality.

Vinshine had quoted over 500 had asked for the upgrade (?) and we wouldnt have 50 people complaining here....

Not arguing/ or disagreeing with the theme as it is being discussed. (this is an exceptional case of customer service channels RISING to the challenge and hitting it OUT OF THE PARK)
Moments like this make me see how wonderful being apart of this community truly is.
Being a long time salivator for Denefrips product lines, service and relations like this is a better 'advertising strategy' than a glossy ad in some magazine or paid for reviews etc..

Whilst I see comparisons from audio stores where team members do not even have playlists that show up differences between DACs, let alone differing DAC architectures; most consumers and, by extension, 'some head-fiers' would hardly know what traits to search for..

Pleasing sound is not always more honest, and many setting off on an audio recreation 'understanding' journey, haven't so much as sorted their recordings (yet) between 'great' and 'mainstream(for the radio)'...

For decades now I have simply left some discs in the 'theatre setup' as those same discs are a 'hard listen' in the 'den two-channel rig'.
Finding out this stuff is a large part of the journey.

We can all tout the 'greatest recordings', but they do not always sort the wheat from the chaff..
often for me it can be some ancient blues recording, or more eclectically, projects like "One Giant Leap" (enjoyable because of the coalaborations and having 'something for everyone', and artists we may recognise even if the music is something 'we may not')

1GiantLeap, second project "What About Me" is a personal favourite I buy every time I see it (thrift/'opportunity' stores etc)
as my counterpoint- Chris Isaac albums sometimes make DAC selection near impossible to discern (even in fast A/B switching) for me.

quite often any given passage on any given album can prove epic for testing, but 'which rendition is better' is of course subjective.
Sometimes a DAC making a playback 'nicer', to me, is 'not ideal'.
I avoid kit that homogenises the sound, and review words akin to 'makes everything sound great' (guilty myself of enthusiastically writing no doubt) often get my spidey sense tingling.
I want bad recordings to sound bad if only for academic reasons.

Chord DACs don't do that for me... (everything is 'great'). I no longer have a Chord DAC because I am happy to seperate my recordings between systems.

Not attacking anyone with these notions- I personally am all for choice, and firmware rolling for different sound profile is something I buy into.
Exceptional work team Denefrips/Vinshine doing the 'due dilligence'.
Top tier teamwork and customer service, 'well done' :)
My system is listed in a post on page 18. It has a balanced warm and smooth tonally rich sound…but still has lots of detail, bass extension, soundstage width and depth. I love it… It handles most everything 85%-90% of the time with no Loki Max trimming.…It's not perfect, but I was at a happy place…that is…UNTIL….the new firmware…LOL!
I did not understand how much my Pontus II DAC was contributing to that Incredibly balanced, smooth detailed sound. After reloading V1.0 FW on Saturday morning, I have done a bit of listening. The new firmware was a little tighter in the bass and MUCH more detailed in the highs, but thinner with less body. This was exciting and interesting for about a day. 🙂 I soon realized that I had to trim every song with my equalizer and I could not get it back to the smiling place that I had before I updated it. Something more primary had changed that I do not have the tech ability to explain, perhaps. All I know is that as soon as I reinstalled V1.0 Firmware the magic is back, absolutely no "burn-in" required. It's wonderful.
Yes…having more choices is better for everyone. No doubt. If another firmware is released, I will wait for you guys to try it and give feed back and perhaps I will give it a go…There is no risk now that I have my beautiful sound back. I learned so much thru this experience, am better with my computer, understanding my system AND am a waaaay better listener. It’s ALL GOOD! 😎👍🏼

Apr 17, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #285 of 1,181
My system is listed in a post on page 18. It has a balanced warm and smooth tonally rich sound…but still has lots of detail, bass extension, soundstage width and depth. I love it… It handles most everything 85%-90% of the time with no Loki Max trimming.…It's not perfect, but I was at a happy place…that is…UNTIL….the new firmware…LOL!
I did not understand how much my Pontus II DAC was contributing to that Incredibly balanced, smooth detailed sound. After reloading V1.0 FW on Saturday morning, I have done a bit of listening. The new firmware was a little tighter in the bass and MUCH more detailed in the highs, but thinner with less body. This was exciting and interesting for about a day. 🙂 I soon realized that I had to trim every song with my equalizer and I could not get it back to the smiling place that I had before I updated it. Something more primary had changed that I do not have the tech ability to explain, perhaps. All I know is that as soon as I reinstalled V1.0 Firmware the magic is back, absolutely no "burn-in" required. It's wonderful.
Yes…having more choices is better for everyone. No doubt. If another firmware is released, I will wait for you guys to try it and give feed back and perhaps I will give it a go…There is no risk now that I have my beautiful sound back. I learned so much thru this experience, am better with my computer, understanding my system AND am a waaaay better listener. It’s ALL GOOD! 😎👍🏼
+1000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back