DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Apr 6, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #76 of 1,124
Hmm….I updated my Pontus II via MAC last Sunday. I have had some experience using Terminal on my MAC and I just took my time and was careful.. The update went very smoothly. All the time for me was invested removing the unit from my cabinet again…finding an extra power cord and the proprietary USB Cable, etc. and putting it back in my cabinet.
My system is as follows: Qobuz via Ethernet =>Pi2 Design Mercury Streamer=> I²S =>Pontus II =>XLRs =>Schiit Loki Max => XLRs => Schiit Freya+ Preamp => McIntosh MC152 Power Amp => DynAudio Contour 20s, w/Stereo REL T/5x Subs using REL's proprietary hi output lines directly off the speaker outputs from the power amp..subs are tuned way back to be "invisible" to blend-in the lower freq. when the recording calls for it.
The New Sound: (Listening thru the Tube-Stage only on my preamp). YES…more information & detail overall…symbols sound more like symbols. I am no expert …but I would say the sound is more what people call "refined", perhaps. I think that the bass is tighter, but not that there is less of it. Everything is tighter and more defined. I have not listened extensively, but I am really enjoying this.I am not finding fatiguing, "so far". The sound on my system was very full tone-wise…I could see if someone's system is thinner or brighter this tightness my be perceived as brightness..but we can always drop back to the old firmware…is that what I am hearing, here?…which is COOL! Also, the soundstage depth and width my be improved, but my system is already so good in that department…it certainly is not less. I think the sound may be MORE 3D with great recordings! I did not have any of the tech glitches with my system prior to the update that others have described. Have not played any CDs off my Marantz SACD 30n yet. This review is strictly streaming…and I guess that I am enjoying it as I just keep wanting to listen to more music……but I may prefer the mellowness of the old sound more, over time….not sure yet.
I need to do more listening..
Alvin sent me a letter and in it he mentioned in-passing that the firmware needed to burn-in…but that sounds kind-of iffy, "to me". I don't know how many hours, either??? Sorry this was so long, but I want to list my system so that my sound-quality descriptions would have more meaning.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #78 of 1,124
That's silly. Software cant burn in :)

The brain will adapt to the change in sound for sure; but trying to make out that's an equipment burn in is a shocker.
Here is what Alvin said in an eMail message to me:
"The FPGA firmware update essentially 'rewired' the logic gates in the FPGA chip. (Ref: link here). Please allow some time for the FPGA to burn in for optimum sound reproduction."

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #80 of 1,124
That's silly. Software cant burn in :)

The brain will adapt to the change in sound for sure; but trying to make out that's an equipment burn in is a shocker.
There was certainly something "burning" after I updated my Ares II. Didn't have an opportunity to do a full, thermographic analysis, but my unit was running around 30°C hotter immediately after performing the update; the next time I used it, operating temperatures had returned to normal.

Apr 7, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #81 of 1,124
There was certainly something "burning" after I updated my Ares II. Didn't have an opportunity to do a full, thermographic analysis, but my unit was running around 30°C hotter immediately after performing the update; the next time I used it, operating temperatures had returned to normal.
I wonder what would cause THAT? (I did not monitor any heat changes…so it may or may not have heated up).

Apr 7, 2023 at 6:13 AM Post #82 of 1,124
I had to change valves after performing the upgrade to get a similar sonic profile but I can't get there, it's been almost a week and I need to go back haha, upgrade is good but I honestly prefer old one for my preferences

Apr 7, 2023 at 6:27 AM Post #83 of 1,124
I had to change valves after performing the upgrade to get a similar sonic profile but I can't get there, it's been almost a week and I need to go back haha, upgrade is good but I honestly prefer old one for my preferences
Hi Jose…Do you know that we can definitely reload the old firmware? Won't we all once again, need specific firmware for our specific chips? I feel bad for Denefrips/Vinshine audio. Seems that to solve tech problems that they have created a sound signature issue for many of their customers. I believe that their intention was pure. I wonder if a firmware could be created with the tech improvements and retain the original sound qualities?
I am a valve guy too, and am still listening. I have mixed feelings about the sound, so far.

Apr 7, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #84 of 1,124
Hi Jose…Do you know that we can definitely reload the old firmware? Won't we all once again, need specific firmware for our specific chips? I feel bad for Denefrips/Vinshine audio. Seems that to solve tech problems that they have created a sound signature issue for many of their customers. I believe that their intention was pure. I wonder if a firmware could be created with the tech improvements and retain the original sound qualities?
I am a valve guy too, and am still listening. I have mixed feelings about the sound, so far.
Hi!

Yes, we can and I'm sure they knew that some people would want to go back to their original sound, I like the new one but I'm sure I prefer the original one because I don't enjoy valves like before anymore

Related to the specific chips thing, I think there are 2 types only, the ones that shipped before Oct 2020 and the ones after, so only 2 original FUT files are needed for Pontus II owners to roll back, no matter the serial number etc of the chip

This is what they told me

1680865055622.png

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #85 of 1,124
After updating the firmware my USB is stuttering now, even in Windows. Anyone have any idea? It's fine with a DDC>Coaxial
There's something going on definitely, I can't have too much programs opened at the same time anymore regardless of the PC's resources (i7 12700h) as it would pop/crackle with the music, I had to increase ASIO buffer size and tick the safe mode but sometimes with very big FLACs it will do strange things sometimes

Apr 7, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #86 of 1,124
There's something going on definitely, I can't have too much programs opened at the same time anymore regardless of the PC's resources (i7 12700h) as it would pop/crackle with the music, I had to increase ASIO buffer size and tick the safe mode but sometimes with very big FLACs it will do strange things sometimes
José…Thanks sooo much for posting the letter. So all I have to do is contact Alvin directly, provide my info and he will hook-me-up with the appropriate firmware download for my Pontus II?
Thanks.

Apr 7, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #87 of 1,124
José…Thanks sooo much for posting the letter. So all I have to do is contact Alvin directly, provide my info and he will hook-me-up with the appropriate firmware download for my Pontus II?
Thanks.
You're welcome mate,

If you want to roll back I'd do that, in fact the more we ask for it the faster we'd get it haha. Question now is, is the sound gonna be the same it was when we roll back?

Apr 7, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #88 of 1,124
You're welcome mate,

If you want to roll back I'd do that, in fact the more we ask for it the faster we'd get it haha. Question now is, is the sound gonna be the same it was when we roll back?
Good point. This is all luxury problems :xf_cool: ….but I hope that Vinshine/Denafrips has not shot themselves in the foot (or worse), with this "Improvement".
I guess one question I now have is the "new sound" the direct result of the tech fixes or was the sound also "tweaked" in some way additionally by the engineers at Denefrips for this update? ..i.e can they give us firmware with the tech fixes and a sound closer to the original sound signature? I would not want to be them right now!
For now….I will continue to listen…oh the hard work!!! LOL!

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #89 of 1,124
Like many, last Sunday, I have installed the Firmware on my Pontus II, and I am not happy at all.
To make it short: the sound (previously perfect) it is now not engaging and natural. In comparison It became diffused, tinner and congested.
Fatiguing is the word! On a Pontus II?!
Humm... I will let the “burn in” period pass and do so more listening but I strongly feel that I want the previous Firmware back.
At least Denafrips could made it available to make the unsatisfied users decide.

One thing is clear: I will not make any change to my system until I get the old sound back. Changing cables or reposting speakers to balance the “new” sound seems silly to me.
A positive (the only): the occasional “glitches” on the coaxial inputs are gone.

Apr 7, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #90 of 1,124
Like many, last Sunday, I have installed the Firmware on my Pontus II, and I am not happy at all.
To make it short: the sound (previously perfect) it is now not engaging and natural. In comparison It became diffused, tinner and congested.
Fatiguing is the word! On a Pontus II?!
Humm... I will let the “burn in” period pass and do so more listening but I strongly feel that I want the previous Firmware back.
At least Denafrips could made it available to make the unsatisfied users decide.

One thing is clear: I will not make any change to my system until I get the old sound back. Changing cables or reposting speakers to balance the “new” sound seems silly to me.
A positive (the only): the occasional “glitches” on the coaxial inputs are gone.
Let's make @alvin1118 help us on getting the previous version, I won't be rolling more tubes or change anything on my system, I want old version asap!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back