DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Mar 17, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #16 of 1,124
That was me. Reboot the computer and check the Denafrips driver. If you are on windows 11 it should finish when it boots, Then the driver should display the upgrade firmware code. At least it did for me. If the driver shows the upgrade installed then do not try to reflash or you will just get that error 044 again. I looked up the Altera details. Seems 044 means that the source code in the fpga is the same as the code you are trying to flash. Why Windows 11 gives that error on the first flash I do not know but it does update. At least it did for me.
Don't think this worked for me, still shows A22E1.6

Which code should it display when upgrade is correct?
Mine shows V3.12|A22E1.6
Is that correct?
I believe the updated firmware is A22FA1.6. Did your upgrade complete without errors?

Mar 17, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #18 of 1,124
No errors, exept that I couldn't see the device in upgrade mode 'till I installed the config driver.
I don't use windows, so I don't know the previous numbers.
My understanding is it says 3.12 it’s correct the last part my be different depending on the chip updated. Mine was different and this is what Alvin told me when I asked.

Don't think this worked for me, still shows A22E1.6

I believe the updated firmware is A22FA1.6. Did your upgrade complete without errors?

Yes A22E1.6 is one of the number for new firmware. It‘s the reason I asked Alvin since mine was different.

Mar 17, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #21 of 1,124
My understanding is it says 3.12 it’s correct the last part my be different depending on the chip updated. Mine was different and this is what Alvin told me when I asked.

Yes A22E1.6 is one of the number for new firmware. It‘s the reason I asked Alvin since mine was different.
This is good to know. Will check when I get home.

Mar 17, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #22 of 1,124
I noticed that, but like this subtle tilt with the gear I`ve tried so far...
Maybe "more resolving, less forgiving"...early doors though.
That is what I'm thinking, bright, or just more resolving. At the end of the day, no doubt there is greater clarity, so maybe that's what I'm hearing, clarity and resolution...

Mar 17, 2023 at 8:35 PM Post #23 of 1,124
Which code should it display when upgrade is correct?
Mine shows V3.12|A22E1.6
Is that correct?
It should read V3.12\A22FA1.6 . That would confirm the upgrade. There is an example of this in the flash folder you were sent by Vinshine. It is possible your Alter fpga chip is different than mine. You should send that screenshot of the driver info tab to Alvin. He can confirm.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #25 of 1,124
Update done.
I have been cautious afraid that I might brick it, but all went well.
It is now with phase light on when power on, is it intended change by default?
No. Turn the dac off by unplugging it for 15-20 seconds reboot computer. Hook up power to dac and click standby to turn on the dac, See if you still have the phase light on. If you do, then it is time to ask Alvin. When asking questions it would be helpful to say what operating system you used for your update.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023 at 6:40 AM Post #27 of 1,124
DENAFRIPS ARES II / ENYO DAC Firmware Version(s):

• EP4CE6F - DENAFRIPS USB Audio V3.12 | E1.2
  • EP4CE22E - DENAFRIPS USB Audio V3.12 | A22E1.6
  • EP4CE22F - DENAFRIPS USB Audio V3.12 | A22FA1.6

There is no default setting for NOS/OS, Filter and Phase per se. Please set them accordingly to your needs & taste.

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #28 of 1,124
After submitting my request I received a reply email with the links to downloads and guides the next day.

The guides were very well written and easy to follow. I was able to upgrade my Denafrips Ares II within a matter of minutes.

The sonic improvements were immediately noticable.

Many thanks to @alvin1118 and the team at Vinshine Audio for not only making such excellent products, but for their relentless pursuit of constant improvement of those products. Their customer service is second to none to boot. They are always prompt to respond and in a professional and courteous manner.

Mar 18, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #29 of 1,124
Attempted my upgrade last weekend, but fell foul of error 044 and couldn't get beyond that. This morning, thought I'd check which version of firmware I currently had, only to find that I now have V3.12 | A22FA1.6; this is why I don't use a PC in my system.
After a few hours of listening, there are a couple of things I've noticed about the 'new' Ares II: it sounds more "essy" and runs hotter, than it did before (OS mode, Slow filter). The former may be an indication of greater clarity and the latter, an indication that the new algorithms are more resource intensive.

Mar 18, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #30 of 1,124
DENAFRIPS ARES II / ENYO DAC Firmware Version(s):

• EP4CE6F - DENAFRIPS USB Audio V3.12 | E1.2
  • EP4CE22E - DENAFRIPS USB Audio V3.12 | A22E1.6
  • EP4CE22F - DENAFRIPS USB Audio V3.12 | A22FA1.6

There is no default setting for NOS/OS, Filter and Phase per se. Please set them accordingly to your needs & taste.
Good to know! Yep mine updated to 3.12/A22E1.6 at some point. It had always said it failed so i've never seen it say it was a success lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back