Denafrips Artemis
Aug 13, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #16 of 205
The RH5 is great, but I found it a bit too polite sometimes for my musical tastes on the Susvara. Amazing for jazz and classical with its transparency and clarity. Doesn't sound tubey at all. I have one for sale if you are interested.

Sep 14, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #18 of 205
Denafrips has many product reviews (on YouTube and written). Not only their DACs are well covered, but also the DDC, pre-amp and power amp. Unfortunately, there seems to be no interest in reviewing their headphone amp, Artemis.

This raises unnecessary red flags and suspicions. Reviewers often return product without a review when the product is defective or they are so disappointed with it that they feel it does not deserve their time and effort.

I am very interested in the Pontus II + Artemis combo, but without personal experience or trusted reviews, it is too much of a risk for me.

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #20 of 205
I have just got an Artemis to go with my Terminator Plus. It replaced a Violectric V281. Artemis is still burning in but so far I am impressed. Very clean sound, smooth, with deep full bass, honeyed mids and easy clear top. I think the overall sound so far is slightly hard edged, maybe a little too forward but very resolving. I hear details that I missed with the V281. It seems also to be very accurate in timbre, nothing is veiled or hidden - which may not be a good thing with a poor recording!
I can’t comment on power as I have been using HEKSE and Sennheiser HD800s neither of which are very power hungry.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #22 of 205
After one week of burning in about 3 hours a day the sound has softened and warmed.
I think this a remarkable amp for the price, matching the quality of the Terminator DAC.
I definitely prefer it to the V281 for its greater clarity, smoothness and its resolution (I hear details not heard before). The dynamic range is big: keep the quiet bits quiet or you are in for a shock when a loud bit comes along. There is no hint of roll off in the treble, the mids are lovely and the bass is full (maybe a little too much) and extended. The overall sound presentation is sweet and smooth as silk.
The only adverse criticism I have is that the presentation is rather close up and so the sound stage is very wide but lacks corresponding depth.

Nov 1, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #23 of 205
After one week of burning in about 3 hours a day the sound has softened and warmed.
I think this a remarkable amp for the price, matching the quality of the Terminator DAC.
I definitely prefer it to the V281 for its greater clarity, smoothness and its resolution (I hear details not heard before). The dynamic range is big: keep the quiet bits quiet or you are in for a shock when a loud bit comes along. There is no hint of roll off in the treble, the mids are lovely and the bass is full (maybe a little too much) and extended. The overall sound presentation is sweet and smooth as silk.
The only adverse criticism I have is that the presentation is rather close up and so the sound stage is very wide but lacks corresponding depth.
Are your impressions of Artemis based only on Sennheiser HD800s? Do you have a planar magnetic headphone, perhaps something from Hifiman?

Nov 7, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #27 of 205
I had the Artemis for 1yr and found the sound beautiful but way to under powered even on my Fostex-th900mk2 ( I have 10prs of HP's ) had to have on 20 clicks out of 23 clicks on the volume knob was tested by Denafrips and nothing wrong with it just under powered HP-AMP they said it was built for SQ not power. I have the Questyle CMA12 and a 300b tube HP AMP's very happy now.

Nov 7, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #29 of 205
At that price I expect more than it has even if it is class A running the volume at 95-100% all the time is rediculous,
I've had many HP AMP's all class A and all are way more powerful and of equal SQ.
I will say the build quality is very nice built like a tank, As I said I have the class A Questyle CMA12 master now 4x more power exceptional build and of equal SQ IMO..
I also have the Pontus-ii and love it.

Nov 7, 2021 at 4:13 AM Post #30 of 205
At that price I expect more than it has even if it is class A running the volume at 95-100% all the time is rediculous,
I've had many HP AMP's all class A and all are way more powerful and of equal SQ.
I will say the build quality is very nice built like a tank, As I said I have the class A Questyle CMA12 master now 4x more power exceptional build and of equal SQ IMO..
I also have the Pontus-ii and love it.
Not sure what you mean about price. Artemis is relatively cheap. Try a Bakoon or a Niimbus. Plenty of power for you but check the prices!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back