DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Mar 22, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #3,751 of 3,907
The FW update was recently completed.(v3.12 | E1.2

I'd like to ask those who have already updated, what filters have you selected?
I have selected NOS since before the update. I like the vocals.

I’m using NOS with phase light on = Positive phase.
Talk about delays, I did notice the timer after you press Mute then Opt1 or Opt 2 to go into NOS/OS and Slow/Fast filter setting now last longer.

Before it would reset after 2-3 seconds, now it feels more like 5 seconds. Not the end of the world but I do find short setting allow me to jump back and forth a bit quicker. But this is like nitpicking.
I also noticed that was a bit too fast before and like having the few extra seconds.

Mar 23, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #3,752 of 3,907
I’m using NOS with phase light on = Positive phase.
I keep hearing light on = positive phase on this thread. Where is this coming from? In the Ares manual is reads:
1679599169971.png

Mar 23, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #3,754 of 3,907
Interesting in my manual is just the opposite
Screenshot 2023-03-24 030458.jpg

That certainly leaves room for some discussion.
The manual PDF download from the denefrips website says " LED on negative phase, LED off, positive phase."

Screenshot 2023-03-23 162243.png

Mar 23, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #3,757 of 3,907
Interesting... i have 2 PDF manuals.

Manual dated May 16th, 2021 says LED ON NEGATIVE
Manual dated Jan 4th, 2022 says LED ON POSITIVE

uncommunicated update or misprint. Place your bets.
Alvin should comment on this. In the meantime. Out of phase will case a reduction in bass and some smearing of the image in the midrange. Not all recordings will make this easy to detect. If you go through your collection and look for a good well recorded sample perhaps with a voice in the mids. The difference should be obvious. On something like chamber music it becomes more of a challenge because there is not a lot of bass line to follow (Yes I know there is always something like Biber if you want bass). Usually more bass equals correct phase. Why the manuals for the same dac describe this setting differently only Alvin can explain.

Mar 23, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #3,758 of 3,907
I keep hearing light on = positive phase on this thread. Where is this coming from? In the Ares manual is reads:

When I go to manual it states
8) Phase Button
Press the button to toggle Phase Output. Phase LED On: Positive Phase, Phase LED Off:
Negative Phase
I also asked Alvin about it and this was his response.
The phase button changes the output phase 0/180 degree. I leave mine on (LED on - positive). Some amplifiers invert the output phase. You may trial and error to check which setting sounds best in your system.
Plus I feel mine sounds the best with phase light lit. Anyways this is what I based my response on hope it helps answer where I was getting my information from.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #3,759 of 3,907
8) Phase Button
Press the button to toggle Phase Output. Phase LED On: Positive Phase, Phase LED Off:
Negative Phase

Plus I feel mine sounds the best with phase light lit. Anyways this is what I based my response on hope it helps answer where I was getting my information from.
I like it lit as well. Very interested to hear the official word. :)

Mar 24, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #3,760 of 3,907
8) Phase Button
Negative Phase

Hi,

I'm really confused. Before the update my phase light was OFF (positive following my manual), after update is ON.

I asked Alvin too and he said: "The phase button changes the output phase 0/180 degree. I leave mine off. You may trial and error to check which setting sounds best in your system. There is no hard rule here as this setting is merely meant to correct the output phase of the match with the individual system"

So, you asked and he said he leaves his ON, but to me he said OFF :unamused:

I used to have mine OFF because my user's manual says OFF was positive.

Please, some Official clarification would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Mar 24, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #3,761 of 3,907
Talk about delays, I did notice the timer after you press Mute then Opt1 or Opt 2 to go into NOS/OS and Slow/Fast filter setting now last longer.

Before it would reset after 2-3 seconds, now it feels more like 5 seconds. Not the end of the world but I do find short setting allow me to jump back and forth a bit quicker. But this is like nitpicking.
Mine is just the opposite, it used to last 5 seconds and now feels like 2. I liked it better before, now is way too fast.

Mar 24, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #3,764 of 3,907
Just did a quick measurement to test phase
Red graph is with Phase light OFF and is POSITIVE
Green graph is with Phase light ON and is NEGATIVE

1679688595323.png
Glad to see someone has the equipment needed to test this. Not sure why manual changed and we received different responses on question from Alvin. Hopefully he can chime in on this.

Only possible explanation I can think of is since we need different firmware based on chip something was changed durning production batches with the phase setting.

Thanks you @Azookey for testing this for us. Just to confirm test was done with the new firmware installed?

Mar 24, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #3,765 of 3,907
Just did a quick measurement to test phase
Red graph is with Phase light OFF and is POSITIVE
Green graph is with Phase light ON and is NEGATIVE

Well, that graph doesn't lie. I think the issue is settled unless they literally change phase in production (highly unlikely). So light off equals positive phase. This explains why that was the default condition when the dac was delivered. It would make no sense for the default to be out of phase. That does not mean that some may not like the phase reversed as associated equipment may be flipping phase Even the occasional recording reverses phase. Or just personal preference. This is only a real issue if the two channels are out of phase with each other (which they are not). The manual difference is probably no more than a misprint.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back