DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Mar 18, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #3,736 of 3,927
I'm using the Ifi spdif Ipurifier 2 for Coax with great results. I found the coax input on the Ares2 to be a little more refined over USB.
I too find Coax and Optical to be more detailed than USB for some reason. Something like Coax > Optical > USB. But it could be my system too so don't mark my word for it lol.

Mar 19, 2023 at 12:34 AM Post #3,737 of 3,927
I too find Coax and Optical to be more detailed than USB for some reason. Something like Coax > Optical > USB. But it could be my system too so don't mark my word for it lol.
In like fashion, I have found coaxial input to be more detailed than optical input on the Mojo Audio EVO Mystique. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Mar 20, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #3,739 of 3,927
The FW update was recently completed.(v3.12 | E1.2

I'd like to ask those who have already updated, what filters have you selected?
I have selected NOS since before the update. I like the vocals.
I find tonality and resolution to each input is about the same increase in scale. As in if you previously liked NOS then chances are you'll still like NOS. Same with if you previously liked Coax then chances are you'll still like Coax lol.

NOS to me had more depth and texture, though OS vocal is a bit more forward. So it was different pros and cons for me. :sweat_smile:

But whatever you liked before, I'd think it's safe to stick to it.

Mar 20, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #3,740 of 3,927
OK, I love the sound but something about all of this leaves me with a question. Obviously this update means that Vinshine and ALvin are incredible and dedicated to providing ongoing value to their customers. My question/discomfort is with the idea that a firmware update can create a significant difference. It can, I can hear it. But if so, then that means that the software/firmware has a MASSIVE influence on the sound. R2R, multibit, DS --- all those things are great. But could it be that actually just changing the firmware/software makes just as a big a difference as the hardware? ANd if so, why are we all into the idea that the pure way to modify sound is with hardware such as dacs and AMPS, or tube-rolling? Turns out that the DACS' sound not only CAN be changed massively by software, all of us are using a DAC which is doing just that, changing the sound significantly with software.....
ANother way to phrase this: Lets say they had a function that you could put an app on your computer which, at a touch of a button, would switch the DAC betwee two modes: OLD firmware sound, NEW firmware sound. But they just called it profile 1, profile 2. Wouldn't we all say that this was artifically changing the sound based on software, all of us who insist on bit perfect output to the dac to minimize the effects of software??
I'm NOT complaining about this, I LOVE the DAC and Vinshine. I'm just seeking clarification because I'm pretty new to the hobby and I've been so 'proud of myself' for being a pseudo-purist and using bit perfect output... and now I'm like "Wait, even with this device, the software in it has a MASSIVE impact on the sound. Whether or not it has all those fancy matched components, what I actually here depends on a software engineer..... "
That's kind of a jarring thought. Please help me understand.

PS another way to think about it ---- you can tube roll with your amp and still feel like a purist. I feel like we are software rolling and in general that isn't considered an OK purist thing to do.... So why are all of us purists OK with a software/firmeare update changing the sound so much (Much like in the guitar amp business, where amps which digitally mimic other amps are looked down upon as software rather than hardware based).

(AND AGAIN, of course I'm OK with improvments in sound, in fact, I love it. It's recognizing that ultimately the software implementation is massively affecting the sound.....)

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #3,741 of 3,927
OK, I love the sound but something about all of this leaves me with a queation. Obviously this update means that Vinshine and ALvin are incredible and dedicated to providing ongoing value to their customers. My question/discomfort is with the idea that a firmware update can create a significant difference. It can, I can hear it. But if so, then that means that the software/firmware has a MASSIVE influence on the sound. R2R, multibit, DS --- all those things are great. But could it be that actually just changing the firmware/software makes just as a big a difference as the hardware? ANd if so, why are we all into the idea that the pure way to modify sound is with hardware such as dacs and AMPS, or tube-rolling? Turns out that the DACS' sound not only CAN be changed massively by software, all of us are using a DAC which is doing just that, changing the sound significantly with software.....
ANother way to phrase this: Lets say they had a function that you could put an app on your computer which, at a touch of a button, would switch the DAC betwee two modes: OLD firmware sound, NEW firmware sound. But they just called it profile 1, profile 2. Wouldn't we all say that this was artifically changing the sound based on software, all of us who insist on bit perfect output to the dac to minimize the effects of software??
I'm NOT complaining about this, I LOVE the DAC and Vinshine. I'm just seeking clarification because I'm pretty new to the hobby and I've been so 'proud of myself' for being a pseudo-purist and using bit perfect output... and now I'm like "Wait, even with this device, the software in it has a MASSIVE impact on the sound. Whether or not it has all those fancy matched components, what I actually here depends on a software engineer..... "
That's kind of a jarring thought. Please help me understand.

PS another way to think about it ---- you can tube roll with your amp and still feel like a purist. I feel like we are software rolling and in general that isn't considered an OK purist thing to do.... So why are all of us purists OK with a software/firmeare update changing the sound so much (Much like in the guitar amp business, where amps which digitally mimic other amps are looked down upon as software rather than hardware based).

(AND AGAIN, of course I'm OK with improvments in sound, in fact, I love it. It's recognizing that ultimately the software implementation is massively affecting the sound.....)
Doesn't virtually every DAC do DSP? There's always some software or calculations involved, such as upsampling. And people do play around with this to get around the DAC's implementation of it, e.g., via HQPlayer.

Not to say that's all the new firmware does, but "software" or "digital signal processing" at some stage or another is kind of inescapable, from my limited understanding.

Mar 20, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #3,742 of 3,927
Doesn't virtually every DAC do DSP? There's always some software or calculations involved, such as upsampling. And people do play around with this to get around the DAC's implementation of it, e.g., via HQPlayer.

Not to say that's all the new firmware does, but "software" or "digital signal processing" at some stage or another is kind of inescapable, from my limited understanding.
But the question is, if that DSP has such a major impact then it appears that you could also use DSP to get an R2R sound, a DeltaSIgma sound, a multibit sound, etc. For xample, say there was a reviewer (I believe there was) who said somethjing like "you can hear that the greater spaciousness of true multibit architecture when comaparing Dac X (Iinsert name here) vs Aries". It's jarring that differences in auditory spaciousness caused by firmwre may actually be greater be than the differences caused by the hardware architecture, by the chips, etc

Mar 20, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #3,743 of 3,927
Anyone using Hqplayer is already familiar with the concept of digital filtering's effect on sound. To push that concept one step further, Audiophile Optimizer & Fidelizer have settings that adjust computer timings/priorities that allow you to change the sound signature of your pc's digital output, while remaining bit perfect. Antipodes also have a similar approach, where they advocate for all noise shaping and oversampling to be done before the dac, so all the dac has to worry about is the actual conversion.

Every part of the digital chain matters, not just the chip/r2r and its specific implementation. In some communities, the concept of anything other than "bits are bits" is blasphemy and pseudoscience, but it's becoming more integrated and accepted as digital formats age. There's not such a huge hifi market for sources for no reason.

Mar 20, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #3,744 of 3,927
But the question is, if that DSP has such a major impact then it appears that you could also use DSP to get an R2R sound, a DeltaSIgma sound, a multibit sound, etc. For xample, say there was a reviewer (I believe there was) who said somethjing like "you can hear that the greater spaciousness of true multibit architecture when comaparing Dac X (Iinsert name here) vs Aries". It's jarring that differences in auditory spaciousness caused by firmwre may actually be greater be than the differences caused by the hardware architecture, by the chips, etc
I think maybe you can. I've had some varying but interesting results playing around with stuff like DSD conversion. Don't really know how far you can take it aside from upsampling and that kind of stuff, though.

Mar 21, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #3,745 of 3,927
Hi everybody, I've just updated my Ares II and it is really improving almost all aspects of sound. Resolution, clarity and very enjoyable holographic soundstage are most noticeable. I just can't stop listening my favorite music. I was waiting a few days and in my case it's stated V3.12 | A22E 1.6 in the Control Panel.
I use USB output of my MSI laptop and cannot complain in anyway with sound quality, but I have option to purchase used SOtM dX-USB HD DDC at the very good price. Could you advise please, is it really worth to bother with this DDC and coaxial or optical outputs?

Mar 21, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #3,746 of 3,927
Hi everybody, I've just updated my Ares II and it is really improving almost all aspects of sound. Resolution, clarity and very enjoyable holographic soundstage are most noticeable. I just can't stop listening my favorite music. I was waiting a few days and in my case it's stated V3.12 | A22E 1.6 in the Control Panel.
I use USB output of my MSI laptop and cannot complain in anyway with sound quality, but I have option to purchase used SOtM dX-USB HD DDC at the very good price. Could you advise please, is it really worth to bother with this DDC and coaxial or optical outputs?
The Denafrips Iris is cheap as chips and a perfect match for Ares II. USB in > I2S out to your DAC. I went for that and didn't regret it at all. I often wonder whether the Hermes would be a better choice, but the Iris does an excellent job if you have a USB source. There's really no need to go for anything else.

Mar 21, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #3,747 of 3,927
The Denafrips Iris is cheap as chips and a perfect match for Ares II. USB in > I2S out to your DAC. I went for that and didn't regret it at all. I often wonder whether the Hermes would be a better choice, but the Iris does an excellent job if you have a USB source. There's really no need to go for anything else.
May I ask, which ddc are you planning to upgrade, since your Iris is listed for sale at head Fi?

Mar 21, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #3,748 of 3,927
May I ask, which ddc are you planning to upgrade, since your Iris is listed for sale at head Fi?
Hermes. So I can also route my CDT through the DDC and take the feed out through I2S to the DAC.

Mar 22, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #3,749 of 3,927
question for the thread. So we know this update shortened the delay on the DAC but does anyone know if this update also changed the behavior where the amount of delay would change arbitrarily?

Love this DAC, but my biggest issue is that the delay changes if you power it down and back up, so you can’t do any sort of pre-processing before the DAC with time alignment to subwoofers.

Would love to know if this changed.

Mar 22, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #3,750 of 3,927
Talk about delays, I did notice the timer after you press Mute then Opt1 or Opt 2 to go into NOS/OS and Slow/Fast filter setting now last longer.

Before it would reset after 2-3 seconds, now it feels more like 5 seconds. Not the end of the world but I do find short setting allow me to jump back and forth a bit quicker. But this is like nitpicking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back