DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Mar 14, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #3,691 of 3,909
Mar 14, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #3,693 of 3,909
Mar 14, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #3,694 of 3,909
Did the reflash on my Ares II.
It’s a significant and apparent improvement with respect to the stereo image. It’s wider L to R now and taller. Music presents more detailed and vivid than before. Still deeply engaging and natural . Definitely worth it.
I’ve also had no skips since doing the update yesterday morning…. Which is something I have had to deal with previously.
System is an Ifi Zen Stream > USB > Denafrips Iris > Coax > Denafrips Ares 2.

Mar 14, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #3,695 of 3,909
Did the reflash on my Ares II.
It’s a significant and apparent improvement with respect to the stereo image. It’s wider L to R now and taller. Music presents more detailed and vivid than before. Still deeply engaging and natural . Definitely worth it.
I’ve also had no skips since doing the update yesterday morning…. Which is something I have had to deal with previously.
System is an Ifi Zen Stream > USB > Denafrips Iris > Coax > Denafrips Ares 2.
What do you think about clarity and resolution? I'm hearing that in spades now... I think this update gives the Ares2 a much needed dose of clarity and resolution. Building on the original quality and with that improved sound stage, it really is a significant improvement. :)

Mar 14, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #3,696 of 3,909
What do you think about clarity and resolution? I'm hearing that in spades now... I think this update gives the Ares2 a much needed dose of clarity and resolution. Building on the original quality and with that improved sound stage, it really is a significant improvement. :)
I think you're right. It's hard for me to talk about resolution in general. I'm not really a detail freak and I listen mostly via amp and speakers. That said I do think there is an increase in resolution with this update...it's like there is more to perceive when looking into the music. More reverb, more air and sense of space or studio...and an increase in micro dynamics.

Mar 14, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #3,697 of 3,909
Firmware update was simple thanks to the provided instructions. DAC sounds great, though I also turned on OS and fast filter which I’m sure would affect the sound as much if not more than improvements packaged in the update.

On an email thread with Vinshine I was informed the audio latency has been reduced to ~25ms, with proprietary adaptive logic. Still might not be ideal for gamers, but is certainly an improvement from the previous worst case scenarios

Mar 14, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #3,699 of 3,909
Now with the latest update: How does the ARES II stacks against something like the PS Audio NuWave DAC? I'm tempted to order an ARES II but a local dealer has a NuWave DAC at a good price, and I don't have to do all the hassle of getting the ARES II imported into my country, which it translates in additional costs and longer times to the device to arrive to my doorstep.
I'm planning to use it my STAX combo, but also with my Edifier 2.1 PC speakers. I owned an ARES II for a while and I now that it outputs with more amplification than my onboard PC soundcard. It's sounds louder and slightly better overall.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #3,700 of 3,909
which is the default phase mode??? it is not supposed to be phase LED off???

I also upgraded mine a few months back, via Mac. Very happy to check it was possible to be done via Mac, as it was not possible early on. Can someone indicate when was the last firmware update released? Maybe I have to update it again. It really silv d a lot of huge issues i was having with the dac and the iMac. Not anymore.

I only see now an error when using audirvana, playing dsd, touch the volume, which changes nothing when playing dsd, but cuts the audio or volume level in the following track if such track is pcm but not another dsd...
My understanding is this new firmware was released within the last week. On phase the default setting is phase light off negative phase. Turning on phase light puts it positive phase.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #3,702 of 3,909
Guys I have a dumb question, I bought my Ares II off someone else locally. The firmware request form asks about order number.

Is the order number really necessary? Thanks!
They require the date of original purchase or the complete information on the face of the Altera fpga chip. The reason is to give you the correct firmware so you don't brick the Ares. I believe those produced between 2017-2019 are not upgradable but you can verify that with Alvin. The Vinshine support is excellent.

Mar 14, 2023 at 11:53 PM Post #3,703 of 3,909
Guys I have a dumb question, I bought my Ares II off someone else locally. The firmware request form asks about order number.

Is the order number really necessary? Thanks!
No, Just type “Used” in the “order” box. Nevertheless, you’ll need to take a clear picture of the FPGA chip to ascertain it’s the “Altera Cyclone IV” chip and not the earlier one.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #3,704 of 3,909
They require the date of original purchase or the complete information on the face of the Altera fpga chip. The reason is to give you the correct firmware so you don't brick the Ares. I believe those produced between 2017-2019 are not upgradable but you can verify that with Alvin. The Vinshine support is excellent.
No, Just type “Used” in the “order” box. Nevertheless, you’ll need to take a clear picture of the FPGA chip to ascertain it’s the “Altera Cyclone IV” chip and not the earlier one.
Cool thanks guys, I'll pop it open tomorrow and take a picture then send it to Alvin.

Will update you guys after I find out if it's upgradable, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back