DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Mar 11, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #3,661 of 3,909
I wasnt asking you. I was asking Alvin who is the Denafrips global leader. Anyone who has seen the measurements of the Denafrips in "NOS" mode that is clearly oversampling will understand the question.
Until GoldenSound is able to analyse it, it's just words.

Mar 11, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #3,662 of 3,909
I wasnt asking you. I was asking Alvin who is the Denafrips global leader. Anyone who has seen the measurements of the Denafrips in "NOS" mode that is clearly oversampling will understand the question.
Then be more precise in your question next time. Sounded like you doesn't even know what NOS means.

Mar 11, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #3,663 of 3,909
Then be more precise in your question next time. Sounded like you doesn't even know what NOS means.
I think it was just a language and syntax issue. Sounds like he was trying to be sarcastic and questioning that the dac is actually NOS, but came across as asking “What does NOS mean?”

Mar 11, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #3,664 of 3,909
I did the firmware update on my Ares II which I purchased in June of 2020. Vinshine was nice enough to send me the files. Turned out the configuration driver was the same as the previous firmware upgrade driver so when I went to install it said already installed. That was easy. Then I unpacked the firmware and hit install. Started then stopped with error 044 and just quit. I tried several times while the dac was in standby and ready in the flash mode. No luck. Gave up and turned everything off. Came back later just to listen to some music. Turned on the computer and opened the dac. It updated the firmware automatically (I swear I didn't touch a key) it took 10 seconds. I'm on a Windows 11 computer with some reasonably good hardware. I couldn't believe it so I check the driver and sure enough it updated the firmware basically by itself after boot. I have no idea why but it is all working and does sound better. The most obvious change is the deeper sound stage.

Mar 11, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #3,665 of 3,909
Why is still phase difference between channels?
*bump* on this really good question!
(why is there a phase difference at all?)

Though I no longer own an Ares II, the prospect of such firmware upgrades is enticing. I wonder if going forward, this will set Denafrips apart from their clones. Meaning that their clones will not be getting that service. That would be good value for Denafrips.

Mar 11, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #3,666 of 3,909
*bump* on this really good question!
(why is there a phase difference at all?)

Though I no longer own an Ares II, the prospect of such firmware upgrades is enticing. I wonder if going forward, this will set Denafrips apart from their clones. Meaning that their clones will not be getting that service. That would be good value for Denafrips.
Yes the service from Denafrips is outstanding. I have a 2 year old Ares II and they keep offering firmware updates to make it better. This latest update to my Ares II give me the sound advantages of the newer version without the additional inputs (that I don't really need). I call that remarkable service. A company that really cares about their customers. I am their customer for life.

Mar 11, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #3,667 of 3,909
1678406384800.jpeg

Hey guys,

Greetings!
We will be rolling out the FPGA firmware update by stages. Ares II / Enyo will be the first, follows by Pontus II and so on.

Notes:
1. The FPGA firmware update is for all DENAFRIPS DACs with the latest FPGA BGA chip.
2. It does not apply to the older DSP (Amanero, released in 2017-2019). If you have a DENAFRIPS DAC purchased after 2020, in general, it is upgradable.
3. The firmware update fixes some bugs, and enhance the sound quality for all digital inputs
4. The firmware update changes the NOS response to what Vinshine Audio believes it's NOS (Raw, Staircase Waveform output for 44.1kHz / 48kHz)

Areas of Improvement:
  • Improved Adaptive FIFO Buffer & Reclocking Architecture
  • Reduced the effect of Buffer overrun/underrun due to the Source's Clock and the DAC's Clock differences
  • Reduced Audio Latency
  • *Eliminate Phase Difference between L/R Channels
  • Optimised DSP to improve the sonic performance

Steps:
1. Identify the FPGA chip used in the DAC
2. Submit a FPGA Firmware Request via the webform found in the link below
3. Vinshine Audio shall provide a Firmware Update Tool (FUT) specifically made for the particular FPGA chip and DAC model
4. Use a Mac or Windows computer to update the firmware as detailed in the link below

Readmore:
https://www.vinshineaudio.com/post/denafrips-12th-fpga-firmware-update

Many thanks,
Alvin Chee
www.vinshineaudio.com
Submitted!

Mar 12, 2023 at 3:39 AM Post #3,668 of 3,909
Completed the F/w update, did some serious listening this Sunday morning with a couple of espresso shots :). It’s for real, I can confirm this upgrade is nothing short of Fantastic, it’s as if I’ve just upgraded to a new (better) dac. Stuff which was immediately noticeable was the 3d imaging, no more skipping of certain albums, butter smooth rendition. I listened to most of my reference music, albums which I’ve heard numerous times. Guys, I’m well aware of a “placebo effect”, but this upgrade is for real.
It would be amiss to not mention the World class service given by Alvin & Team Vinshine w.r.t. to Denafrips products. Denafrips has really stepped up their game looks like & it’s quite impressive how this upgrade was offered to existing customers. It’s hard to come across vendors who are honest & ethical in today’s cut throat business environment, I have no hesitation to wholeheartedly recommend this highly Ethical team of Denafrips & Vinshine Audio. Please keep it up, my two 👍 👍!

Disclaimer; I have No business affiliation with Denafrips or Vinshine, just a very satisfied customer.

Mar 12, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #3,669 of 3,909
Completed the F/w update, did some serious listening this Sunday morning with a couple of espresso shots :). It’s for real, I can confirm this upgrade is nothing short of Fantastic, it’s as if I’ve just upgraded to a new (better) dac. Stuff which was immediately noticeable was the 3d imaging, no more skipping of certain albums, butter smooth rendition. I listened to most of my reference music, albums which I’ve heard numerous times. Guys, I’m well aware of a “placebo effect”, but this upgrade is for real.
It would be amiss to not mention the World class service given by Alvin & Team Vinshine w.r.t. to Denafrips products. Denafrips has really stepped up their game looks like & it’s quite impressive how this upgrade was offered to existing customers. It’s hard to come across vendors who are honest & ethical in today’s cut throat business environment, I have no hesitation to wholeheartedly recommend this highly Ethical team of Denafrips & Vinshine Audio. Please keep it up, my two 👍 👍!

Disclaimer; I have No business affiliation with Denafrips or Vinshine, just a very satisfied customer.
I use the Ares II with the new firmware since yesterday with HQPlayer. The upgrade is obvious and like having a new dac. I am shocked at the improvement this firmware upgrade makes. The soundstage is positively 3D. It was good before now it's beyond good. Also had a positive effect on the tonal quality of instruments. What a fabulous company to offer such an improvement to existing users.

Mar 12, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #3,670 of 3,909
4. The firmware update changes the NOS response to what Vinshine Audio believes it's NOS (Raw, Staircase Waveform output for 44.1kHz / 48kHz)

Hi Alvin. What do you mean by "Vinshine Audio believes it's NOS". Is this non-oversampled or not? Yes or No please?

Please dont obscure truth talking about staircase. NOS is not oversampled period. Is it NOS?

If its not oversampled and true NOS this is brilliant and a breakthrough for those of us with Denafrips DACs who also like true NOS.

With a firmware change, it should be very easy to make it true NOS and fix the crazy linearity defect. So Ive got very high expectation this long-running repeated NOS debacle has finally been resolved once and for all.

Until GoldenSound is able to analyse it, it's just words.

Surely Alvin can clarify what the new firmware NOS actually is? It shouldn't depend on an independent expert like @GoldenOne to analyse it.

Are you saying you just don't trust Alvin's words to be truthful?

Then be more precise in your question next time.
Sorry you missed the context of that old message. The context was very specific given the quote.

Mar 12, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #3,671 of 3,909

Incredible really. The Ares II is probably the DAC that has surprised me most so far. Such an incredible performance for no money at all really.

I have a Weiss 501 MkII at home at the moment, it's not impressing my anything like Ares II did, and it's 11 times more expensive.

Mar 12, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #3,672 of 3,909
Hi Alvin. What do you mean by "Vinshine Audio believes it's NOS". Is this non-oversampled or not? Yes or No please?

Please dont obscure truth talking about staircase. NOS is not oversampled period. Is it NOS?

If its not oversampled and true NOS this is brilliant and a breakthrough for those of us with Denafrips DACs who also like true NOS.

With a firmware change, it should be very easy to make it true NOS and fix the crazy linearity defect. So Ive got very high expectation this long-running repeated NOS debacle has finally been resolved once and for all.

Surely Alvin can clarify what the new firmware NOS actually is? It shouldn't depend on an independent expert like @GoldenOne to analyse it.

Sorry you missed the context of that old message. The context was very specific given the quote.

Sadly previous claims by Alvin have been found to be wrong. I don't think Alvin is lying, he is simply repeating what the Denafrips factory have told him.

Better to be sure.

Mar 12, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #3,673 of 3,909

I use the Ares II with the new firmware since yesterday with HQPlayer. The upgrade is obvious and like having a new dac. I am shocked at the improvement this firmware upgrade makes. The soundstage is positively 3D. It was good before now it's beyond good. Also had a positive effect on the tonal quality of instruments. What a fabulous company to offer such an improvement to existing users.

I'll be damned. Now I really regret selling my ARES II. Maybe I should order a new one. Can't really decide whether going for the ENYO or the 12th Anniversary ARES. I reckon that the only difference between those two, besides price, is that the 12th Anniversary ARES has I2S input and only one OPTICAL in, instead of two OPTICAL ins.
Is the I2S really worth the extra price (I also need to get a good HDMI cable for it).
I still have my Class A Oyaide Neo USB cable.

Mar 12, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #3,674 of 3,909

You could always hook it up to a measuring rig and see if you can peep some NOS. LOL

Mar 12, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #3,675 of 3,909
Just did the update, relativley pain free process. I hear better resolution and imaging and smooth rendering. Nice upgrade!!! Edit: Plus the bass has more body and texture, and there is improvement to the soundstage.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back