DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Mar 10, 2023 at 3:38 AM Post #3,646 of 3,907
The email I received stated the ares 2 would be the first to get the update.
I sent them an email request with a picture of the chip in my Ares II along with the purchase date which was June of 2020. For the life of me I could not find a serial number. On the PCB it says Ares II V05 which I guess means the board is version 5. I looked everywhere and cannot find the serial number. Perhaps it was on the box that I can't find? Anyone know where the serial number appears on the Ares II?

Mar 10, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #3,647 of 3,907
I sent them an email request with a picture of the chip in my Ares II along with the purchase date which was June of 2020. For the life of me I could not find a serial number. On the PCB it says Ares II V05 which I guess means the board is version 5. I looked everywhere and cannot find the serial number. Perhaps it was on the box that I can't find? Anyone know where the serial number appears on the Ares II?
Bought mine in December 2019 direct from Vinshine. Alvin handled the sale himself. Mine doesn't have a serial number either. Early units didn't come with serial numbers on bottom as newer units do. I recall there being a post about this somewhere.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #3,651 of 3,907
Done the ARES II FPGA "12th gen update". It was easy thing to do when you follow the instructions as indented.
Sound did improve and no hicups.
The resolution is bit better and overall "analog feeling". Soundstage is now deeper too.
Tested on sennheiser HD800 and SMSL SP400 AMP, Also on Genelecs G3 set.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-10 135221.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-10 135221.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 0
Mar 10, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #3,652 of 3,907
Done the ARES II FPGA "12th gen update". It was easy thing to do when you follow the instructions as indented.
Sound did improve and no hicups.
The resolution is bit better and overall "analog feeling". Soundstage is now deeper too.
Tested on sennheiser HD800 and SMSL SP400 AMP, Also on Genelecs G3 set.
Good. Resolution was definitely missing from Ares, but the musicality it has is just incredible.

Mar 10, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #3,653 of 3,907
I upgraded my Ares II this morning. I was having issues (described in my previous post in this thread) with pops/click when feeding the Ares II from the Iris DDC. So far... not a single noticeable pop/click with the new firmware. I'd call that a win so far!

Mar 10, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #3,654 of 3,907
The serial number on my Ares II is located on a sticker on the underside of the case.

Mar 10, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #3,656 of 3,907
Warranty card maybe?

Mar 10, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #3,658 of 3,907
Warranty card maybe?
It would be in the box I have not located. That was a most unusual box as I recall. Probably not even practical to keep after disassembly. As the earlier poster commented only very recent Ares II have serial numbers on the bottom. Seems my June 2020 purchase may have missed the start of that process. Anyway, I sent them a picture of the fpga chip which is really the only issue. The chip is marked Altera Cyclone IV. That is probably all they need too know to provide the correct software, I am guessing they used different suppliers for fpga chips over time. If they need more specific information from that chip, I'm afraid my phone camera and my hands are not able to focus on the small print on the chip. Probably have a macro photo setting on a Samsung Galaxy 8 but I don't know it.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #3,659 of 3,907
Well I just spent a couple hours on my Ares 2 after the new firmware update and I can say I'm very pleased in the sound improvement over coax. Kudos to Alvin and Denafrips. I'm pretty sure if you send the required picture and a little info when you bought it you'll be fine. Well worth it in my book sounds beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back