DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Jan 10, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #2,986 of 3,927
After reading the last page of posts, I think you are all right. Each from their perspective. I believe there can be only one absolute truth, but that doesn't mean it's simple. Environment or tiny variations can make experiments unrepeatable. Just be aware when they're unfalsifiable (once you twisted the screw and 'released the tension' you can't undo it by twisting it again). You might be fooling yourself or others.

Some people sell snake oil, but you don't get into a generally improfitable business if you don't like it. So most often it's not malintent. I do find sometimes some people have turned cynical or callous from not being successful for the longest time and feel exploited for their enthusiasm. They're just like people.

---

I can imagine how you can be blown away by something far more than expected. I just started playing mono vinyl with a real mono top of the line cartridge (until recently, Miyajima Zero). I have so many old mono recordings to warrant that. You would think it's the wrong way forward. I expected less campfire noise at the cost of soundstage and a bit stale sound. Boy was I wrong. Sound is big and bold, fast, dynamic and with an unbelievable naturalness. And such a quiet background on all but >70 y/o or beat up disc's. It's like stepping into a time machine. So real.

We made so much progress over the last 70 years. But has it really gotten better? Yes we have pulled the sound into 2 dimensions, or even 3, but has it really improved the feeling of 'being there'?

If I listen to the same records on YouTube, over the Ares (no blame, I mean not the weak link), sometimes even the same cartridge, it sounds whimpy, different, not as engaging. So yes, there's still ground to be gained.

Jan 11, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #2,987 of 3,927
I run my Android phone (Pixel 4 XL) straight into my Ares II with a USB-C to USB-B cable, and play music from Qobuz (through the USB Audio Player PRO app).

My question is this - would using a different digital source (my desktop PC for example) make any difference to the sound?

I assume not - as we're only talking the transfer of digital binary code to the DAC, but I may well be wrong (I haven't tried it as it would mean moving my whole setup to another room).

I understand also that PC USB outputs can be noisy. Is this also the case with phone USB-C outputs? Or are they considered a clean source?

Jan 11, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #2,988 of 3,927
I run my Android phone (Pixel 4 XL) straight into my Ares II with a USB-C to USB-B cable, and play music from Qobuz (through the USB Audio Player PRO app).

My question is this - would using a different digital source (my desktop PC for example) make any difference to the sound?

I assume not - as we're only talking the transfer of digital binary code to the DAC, but I may well be wrong (I haven't tried it as it would mean moving my whole setup to another room).

I understand also that PC USB outputs can be noisy. Is this also the case with phone USB-C outputs? Or are they considered a clean source?
USB will be noisy regardless if its A, B, or C. It carries data as well as power in the same cable, its inevitable that there will be interference.

You could try and ifi isilencer or idefender to reduce noise, I have both and I think they'll yield significant improvements in your setup.

They have a deal on Amazon for $90 for the combo, or ipurifier + isilencer combo, if it doesn't work for you, return it. No risk, but I don't think you'll return it.

Jan 12, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #2,989 of 3,927
It can be a different opinion on that, but I would just use iDefender instead.

Jan 12, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #2,990 of 3,927
The other option is to replace your streamer by an Ifi Zen Stream. It has iFi filters embedded in the SPDIF and USB output. The software is not the best in the market though

Jan 12, 2022 at 5:50 AM Post #2,991 of 3,927
Of course, there's a difference between devices. There's a difference even in digital cables.
At the moment I can't find an article which in-depth describes digital output. But there's not just 0/1 going through.
It's a signal after all and your DAC doesn't verify every bit of information.

UPD: here is another helpful article https://www.nordost.com/downloads/Digital Audio Cables - How Can They Make A Difference.pdf

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2022 at 6:04 AM Post #2,992 of 3,927
I have compared PC and MacBook with Ares II. PC output is very noisy/crapy and you have to add something like IFI iUSB 3.0, iGalvanic, iPurifier to clean the sound. With MacBook there's no difference with or without IFI's products.

Jan 12, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #2,993 of 3,927

A phone is a much cleaner source than a pc, simply because a phone runs on DC. A pc runs on AC, with unshielded cables inside broadcasting all the noise from the ac power lines. This noise effects your soundcard etc.

I have used pc for decades, upgrading it all the time. Now I use an android phone or dap, with the right app that sends direct out to USB, the sound is better. The only thing with a dap is, compared to a phone or pc, is that it has less processing power so I get a hickup changing songs with highres flac or dsd/dsf, when the file is reading+decoding. And amount of storage. But that last point is getting less important every year.

A usb-c output or any digital or analog output is never truly a clean source. Maybe i²s could be better, depending on the length of the cable, because it's not a multiplexed signal. But it's more meant to transport signal from ic to ic, hence IIS or i²s. USB sends the file to be decoded close to the dac chip. IIS sends the raw unprotected data so decoding and dac are a long distance apart. Only the decoding can be done with a lot more processing power for any post-processing you like (like upsampling or room correction etc). If you think that increases the amount of information of the file. I like mine unadulterated.

Jan 12, 2022 at 6:15 AM Post #2,994 of 3,927
I have compared PC and MacBook with Ares II. PC output is very noisy/crapy and you have to add something like IFI iUSB 3.0, iGalvanic, iPurifier to clean the sound. With MacBook there's no difference with or without IFI's products.
You are comparing Apples and other kinds of fruit. Not every computer is closed source. You can build your computer any way you like it, chose any operating system, processor or soundcard you like. Plus that it answers no question asked here.

I'm sure apples are the only fruit worth mentioning...

Jan 12, 2022 at 6:25 AM Post #2,995 of 3,927
You are comparing Apples and other kinds of fruit. Not every computer is closed source. You can build your computer any way you like it, chose any operating system, processor or soundcard you like. Plus that it answers no question asked here.

I'm sure apples are the only fruit worth mentioning...
Yes, but it would be much better to switch from PC to Apple for example instead of collecting a lot of IFI stuff which would cost you even more.

Jan 12, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #2,996 of 3,927
Yes, but it would be much better to switch from PC to Apple for example instead of collecting a lot of IFI stuff which would cost you even more.
Nah, I was using a MAC laptop for couple months, it is not cleaner, even working on batteries.

Jan 12, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #2,998 of 3,927
To be fair - I haven't noticed any noise or interference whatsoever using my Android phone. It's as clear as a bell. I just wondered if other sources changed the sound. For example - could my PC give a bassier sounds, or more spacious soundstage?
As I mentioned before, you can't hear noise mixed in with the music, you're not going to be able to isolate it by ear. The only way to know if its been reduced is after its gone. When noise is removed, microdetails will be become more audible and clear, there will be increased soundstage, imaging and separation.

Try the ifi devices and you'll see what I mean.

Jan 12, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #2,999 of 3,927
As I mentioned before, you can't hear noise mixed in with the music, you're not going to be able to isolate it by ear. The only way to know if its been reduced is after its gone. When noise is removed, microdetails will be become more audible and clear, there will be increased soundstage, imaging and separation.

Try the ifi devices and you'll see what I mean.
I'm trying to understand this. It doesn't make any sense. If noise is mixed in with the music, you can and will hear it the more revealing your system is. If can't get rid of it without penalties. It won't be the only thing you lose.

What i also don't understand is why you bring up the ifi devices for computer when he just said he uses an android phone that sounds clear as a bell. With the right app (that produces USB direct output) it's a really, really, really good source. It works off a DC battery. Any pc is to producing EMI noise to a datastream of music as a tiled swimmingpool is to echoing noise for a dolphinarium. Thanks to the AC pollution radiating unshielded power supply and cables.

I get it, you can try it out for free etc. But it's very unlikely to better android on DC. And believe; me nothing is free. Either Ben or ifi will be paying in time and money, no guarantee to the result.

If jitter is your concern, I doubt the ifi +PC will improve anything.

If you just mean noise in general, it might not be the source. Many amps are not dead silent, changing the source won't help one bit. Many speakers have convoluted filters with cheap parts. Changing the source won't help one iota. Micro details can get stuck anywhere. I use android as source and I have amazing silence and micro detail and space.

Jan 12, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #3,000 of 3,927
I am trying out my new Denefrips Ares 2. Asgaard3 amp. I have my music (mostly classical, almost all of it CD quality flags ie 44.1k) on a microsd in an android tablet (fire HD +). I have a few questions:
(1) what software and settings are the best to get bit perfect quality, no different than if I was connecting my CD player with optical cable? (I have power amp and foobar2000, but an having trouble figuring out which audio output to use, what volume settings, etc)
(2) I can't figure out why no matter what I do the dac lights say 48k and 2x, even though the files are 44.1k.

I should add I'm a relative newbie at this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back