DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Jan 5, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #2,957 of 3,927
What effect does a power chord have?
I have a JPS Labs digital ac-x, Furutech FP 314AG, Furutech FP-S55N, and BMI Whale Elite power cables. I swapped them around quite a lot to see how it sounds with each component.

Unfortunately, since I don't have more than one of each, its hard to say specifically what one does since I have to swap it with another component. But I will say they all sound significantly different and drastically better than the cheap $5 stock power cables.

The FP-S55n enhances soundstage, warmth, bass and body, sounds very open. The FP314ag is similar to the FP-S55n but to a far lesser degree. The digital ac-x works best with the Ares as it is the most powerful noise reducing cable in my collection, the Furutech cables work well also but they're not as resolving. The FP-S55n really synergizes well with my audio-gd m19. The m19 is an analytical, neutral signature and for me the added warmth and bass is a nice addition to its signature.

There is the reduction of noise in the system as well that these cables provide in addition to the sound characteristics.

What I have discovered in my journey is that if there is noise in the sound, its impossible to isolate by listening. You will recognize the noise reduction if it happens because microdetails shine through clearer and more defined, imaging and separation is improved.

That hiss that you hear when there are silent pauses in the music, that is noise. Some people are not as sensitive to it as others. Perhaps its easier to understand if I put it this way, if white, pink, brown, etc noise were to play in your headphones at the same time as the music at a low volume, would you be able to isolate it by listening?

Jan 6, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #2,959 of 3,927
Hi I just received my ares. I want it to burn it it in for 10 days straight before listening. I was wondering if this is enough (see picture) or do I need to play music via x?

Attachments

• 16414816073973023560164043213708.jpg
    16414816073973023560164043213708.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Jan 6, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #2,961 of 3,927
Just live it ON 24/7 for 10 days.
Agreed, and play your music as normal. 10 days will pass before you know it. It’s interesting to hear it change. As for power on vs standby, I leave mine powered up 24/7, the energy consumed is minimal. I do go to standby when I leave for long periods of days.

Jan 6, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #2,962 of 3,927
What effect does a power chord have?
I found out that the biggest difference is when you plug it in. :p

Sorry. I couldn't resist. You have no idea how often it happens to me in the workshop that either the dust collector or my sander or w/e isn't plugged in after moving workstation.

I do use power filtering and use audiophile grade powerchords (not expensive though) but frankly, I don't hear a lot of difference. Maybe I forgot what it sounds like with zip chords. Or I don't have much pollution on my electrical system (just the fridge mostly). I did take proper care of grounding. That is very important. Especially with phono-amplification.
Routing the wires properly and keeping them seperate is also important. So the thick shielded chords do make life easier. It's also something I do automatically.

I think it's a difficult subject. I know it makes a difference but I refuse to try out cables costing hundreds of dollars. That money is much better spent elsewhere.

Also, I leave my Ares on always. It hardly uses any power. It's keeps everything in a steady state. Only I don't see any reason not to listen to it the first days. It won't sound horrible, just gives you the chance to learn something. A sort of personal calibration. Am I imagining things or is there a difference. I heard a difference that I don't hear with power cables.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #2,963 of 3,927
Hi I just received my ares. I want it to burn it it in for 10 days straight before listening. I was wondering if this is enough (see picture) or do I need to play music via x?
Turn it on and listen to music. Done.

Jan 6, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #2,964 of 3,927
I think I read somewhere that R2R dacs require music to be played for it to break in. Something to do with giving the resistors some activity.

Jan 7, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #2,965 of 3,927
I think I read somewhere that R2R dacs require music to be played for it to break in. Something to do with giving the resistors some activity.
As only for my experience i could say, the Ares 2 sounds good for me right out of the box.

I'm not sure at all, if i should believe in it at all or if i am another victim of psychoacoustics.

But what i recognized is, that the circuit benenfits from permanent juice or even needs a bit warming up time before offering the full potential when power switch was turned off some time.

Yeah, capacitors and their construction...Break in...physics...

If you actually have to do such a science to break in your gear that it sounds good...
Then the developers should sit down at their drawing board again.

But everybody on his own. Only my modest opinion.

I still recommend to use the gear, make own experiences and enjoying the music.

That's the most important thing! More important as to seek the holy grail and burn our money.

We should stop to compare and analyze the gear too much. And also don't believe in the most reviewers. They follow a trend that i personally don't like.
Another time only my modest opinion.

How does the gear work at all? Do i need it? Do i like it? Is it affordable for me? Let's go.

It's all about the music.

Cheers

*Aunt Edit(h):
If your power is crappy right out of the wall, no hundreds or thousands of dollar powercable will change it.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #2,966 of 3,927
I agree with @JaquesGelee. DACs (R2R specifically) need to be powered on for a week or two before it can reach full potential. There are number of things, like relaxing physical stress of components that had been heated up to 200+ degrees (C) during soldering. Science support this view providing statistics that during the first few months a failure rate is the highest. After an initial burnin, if used regularly it only needs a half an hour before reaching the operational temperature.

With Ares is as above. More expensive devices require longer period of burning, the main cause are low jitter clock oscilators. When a level of transparency increases, our brain becomes more sensitive to distortions, very subtle changes can be heard. On the first turn you will take your attention on power cables, then conditioners, interconnect cables.

One important comment was made. If after an initial burnin you like a sound, enjoy music. A key measure is not sound properties, but how long you can listen before getting tired. Make a note of a duration of each session. Do it increase? How your music library has increased during the time? These are indicators that you can work on improving a sound. If negative, then give up and find a different brand, but don't trust reviews, most of them are paid, well known products are overhyped. You can always get better value in non-advertised products, end users pay for cost of gifts and advertising.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #2,967 of 3,927
As only for my experience i could say, the Ares 2 sounds good for me right out of the box.

I'm not sure at all, if i should believe in it at all or if i am another victim of psychoacoustics.

But what i recognized is, that the circuit benenfits from permanent juice or even needs a bit warming up time before offering the full potential when power switch was turned off some time.

Yeah, capacitors and their construction...Break in...physics...

was i comparing? over analyzing?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #2,969 of 3,927
Don't forget to also tune the Ares II...

Really? That's already the 3rd or 4th time this gets linked. Controversial too. People who are close minded take contributions like that as an opportunity to ridicule what their mind chooses to ignore. Like the villagers mocking the Wright brothers.

I don't believe in it, but I see why this might do something.

Jan 7, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #2,970 of 3,927
Really? That's already the 3rd or 4th time this gets linked. Controversial too. People who are close minded take contributions like that as an opportunity to ridicule what their mind chooses to ignore. Like the villagers mocking the Wright brothers.

I don't believe in it, but I see why this might do something.
you should buy one and try it out. it'll be a hoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back