DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Dec 19, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #1,818 of 3,927
May I know does it happens when you hit standby button to turn on the Ares II, or it happens when you hit standby button to put the Ares II in standby mode?

When I take the Ares II out of standby mode, and the USB bus recognizes the device (whether I'm plugged directly or through a USB hub), my Mac freezes immediately, almost without exception. It's working now, but I don't want to ever turn it off or put it on standby now.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #1,819 of 3,927
When I take the Ares II out of standby mode, and the USB bus recognizes the device (whether I'm plugged directly or through a USB hub), my Mac freezes immediately, almost without exception. It's working now, but I don't want to ever turn it off or put it on standby now.
Funny. I own a DDC which the Ares II licenses the transport from (company called Xing) and I have the same thing!!
This one https://www.head-fi.org/threads/singxer-su-6.902272/post-15997150

Dec 19, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #1,820 of 3,927
have you tried switching to another input before putting it in standby? The usb only comes on when you select it. When switching while on it could avoid a surge you might get from powering the usb on from a cold boot. So after turning it on, switch to usb.

Same principle i learned for powering off an amp or switching inputs; first turn the volume down to avoid loud thumps.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #1,821 of 3,927
have you tried switching to another input before putting it in standby? The usb only comes on when you select it. When switching while on it could avoid a surge you might get from powering the usb on from a cold boot. So after turning it on, switch to usb.

Same principle i learned for powering off an amp or switching inputs; first turn the volume down to avoid loud thumps.
Unfortunately that doesn’t work either. If i go from USB to coax and then back the same freeze happens.

Best solution so far has been adding the Iris... no more freezes in standby😑

Dec 31, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #1,823 of 3,927
probably. I found r2r a good match for SE tubes and ribbon/Amt tweeters.

Jan 3, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #1,825 of 3,927
Sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread, but has anyone tried inverting the phase? I’m running Over Sampling mode with slow filter, with the phase LED lit, and I like it better. It has a deeper soundstage, and sounds more natural.
-XLR out of ARES II into Denefrips Hestia preamp into Crown XLS 1502 into speakers/headphones (Schiit Asgard 3)
Thoughts?

Jan 7, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #1,826 of 3,927
What's the verdict on NOS vs OS mode? I just received my ARES 2 and so far I am loving the OS mode. With nos, the vocals sound magnificent with wife sojndtage but the low end sounds muddy and veiled. Is this right? Or am I missing something? This is my first foray into the world of R2R dacs so I could use some suggestion as to how to optimally set it up

Jan 7, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #1,827 of 3,927
What's the verdict on NOS vs OS mode? I just received my ARES 2 and so far I am loving the OS mode. With nos, the vocals sound magnificent with wife sojndtage but the low end sounds muddy and veiled. Is this right? Or am I missing something? This is my first foray into the world of R2R dacs so I could use some suggestion as to how to optimally set it up
NOS tends to be an acquired taste, most people would prefer regular oversampling which is sharper with better refined edges. NOS sounds softer/fuzzier but also different.

Jan 7, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #1,828 of 3,927
Amplification matters.... Bass shows a weaknes. It should be fast and accurate, but soft, not edgy. 60Hz leak will most affect bass silky presentation and low mids. Perhaps Ares should have I2S.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #1,829 of 3,927
Depends on the music, use your finger when needed. 💡

Users who are viewing this thread

Back