DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
May 14, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #946 of 3,907
What player do you use? I have no issues with Win7
So I can only say ......
It does not matter which player I use(Foobar, Roon, HQP). After I upgraded my Win10 to 1703 the drivers don't work. I tried uninstalling, reboot and do a clean install. Found that the driver does not install correctly in Ver 1703. Tried the same drivers in Win10 ver 1607 on my laptop everything works fine. I have also sent an email to Alvin and the manufacturer.

May 15, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #948 of 3,907
let us know how that goes and whether the UK customs get their grubby hands on import tax.

I am sure Alvin could help you with that, drop him an email

May 15, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #949 of 3,907
Ok guys, the Ares was delivered to me today. First of all, I wish to thank Alvin of Vinshine Audio for his outstanding customer service! A great man and a great company to deal with!

I had some 2 hours today to do a quick A/B comparison between the Ares and the Chord Mojo. That was until the Mojo was handed over to the new owner. Disclaimer: the Ares was tested cold, I couldn't give it a proper initial burning in because I had to leave home and meet the buyer of my Mojo. According to reports on this forum, Ares needs some 150-300h to be fully burned in, so this short review is just for the purpose of expressing my initial impressions.

The setup: iMac (Roon core) - SOTM sMS-200 streamer (Roon endpoint) powered by 12v Sbooster BOTW P&P Eco linear PSU - Chord C-USB cable - DAC (Ares and Mojo) - Tellurium Q Ultra Black RCA interconnect - Naim Supernait powered by Naim HiCap DR - Tellurium Q Ultra Black speaker cables - Dynaudio Focus 260 speakers.

My SMS-200 streamer recognized the Ares immediately, no problems whatsoever with drivers. From the first second of turning on the Ares it is evident that bass is superior on the Ares when compared to Mojo. It is very deep and very well controlled, thumbs up to Denafrips for this. The soundstage is slightly deeper on the Ares, however Mojo exhibits a taller and perhaps a tiny bit wider soundstage. With the Ares the vocals appear to be lower in space and very upfront, sort of "in your face", quite different to what the Mojo does with vocals. On the other hand, the occasional harshness I could here with the Mojo is now all gone. The Ares also appears to have a blacker background than the Mojo, and individual instruments are easier to pinpoint in space. The layering is very very good. The magic of the Ares evidently lies in the midrange, it is very rich, fluid and seductive if I may say. Due to being cold and not burned in, the Ares exhibited a level of "graininess", but I expect this to disappear fully in a few days.

So these are my initial impressions, and could be very much irrelevant since the Ares was cold, and being a R2R DAC, it needs a week or two to really start singing. But judging from the first 2 hours, it a damn fine device for the money, and I am a very happy owner.

Last edited:
May 18, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #951 of 3,907
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
DENAFRIPS Trilogy.....

May 18, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #952 of 3,907
WOW! How much better are the higher lines compared to the Ares?

May 18, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #954 of 3,907
My black Terminator arrived safely two days ago. Thanks to Alvin at Vinshine Audio for the smooth passage and excellent service. It's too early for me to make detailed impressions here but suffice to say after only 20 hours burn in this is one truly amazing DAC. All I will say for now at this early stage is I'm very impressed at the musicality and analog-like presentation of Terminator, (I'm coming from Lampi Big7 > MSB Analog > Phasure NOS1a) - more to come!

May 18, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #955 of 3,907
Such a bold statement from where you're coming (DACs) from..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back