DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
May 12, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #932 of 3,907
i'd be interested to know as well. Do these ladder dacs actually sound distinctly different to chip dacs like those mentioned above? Does anyone even know what type of analog ouptut stage is used as this would have a big effect on sound as well.

You are absolutely right, analog output stage makes a huge part of a dac´s sound. But sadly it seems a secret in Denafrips. Maybe Alvin1118 can shed some light on this?:angel:
I can`t comment on Shiit, Teac or Aune, but I highly doubt that Ares or Ponutus will be inferior. If you take the time to read the thread, there were some comments or comparisons with some Shiit dac, if I remember correctly. You can also find the Ares R2R sonic description in my + many other reviews here. I`m not much a USB/PC music fan, but feeding Ares with a decent spinner via coax or opt you can`t go wrong, especially considering it`s price.
At least no buyer has been disappointed so far, in fact contrary. :L3000:

:wave:

May 12, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #933 of 3,907
Denafrips Ares in chinese restaurant :)

253bb70c6abd232d1e321582872cc893299b9661_1_666x500.jpg

32e44aae4b4151067eaff347b6e9ca8b79481118_1_666x500.jpg

More photos

:cocktail::cocktail::cocktail::cocktail::cocktail:Instead of drinking in Chinese restaurants, could write a few lines about how your new Terminator sounds?
Based on spec I believe that another real step up from Ares may come with Venus or Terminator.....:beers:

May 12, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #934 of 3,907
You could use a ddc with good clocks and power like the singxer f1u on a Schiit wyrd and the PONTUS and probably have similar results to the Venus.

One has to ask yourself at which point does resistor .02 or .01% tolerance become audible in difference. The Terminator has that 0.005% right?

Last edited:
May 13, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #935 of 3,907
I have had the opportunity to compare the Ares to my reference Ayon CD-5 CD Player/DAC, amongst others.
Take what I say with a grain of salt though; I don't speak 'audiophile'.
Ares sound is very balanced, no frequencies seem unduly emphasised.
I found it liquid, smooth and easy to listen to for long periods.
Ares has more detail but not quite as smooth as the Ayon, but that unit has 4xPCM1704K R2R DACs with 6H30 valve output stage, and was MUCH more expensive. I still prefer the Ayon overall, but then I like some valves in all my equipment to take the edge off - I mean this in general; not saying the Ares is edgy. (My amp is a 6922/Mosfet hybrid.)
Ares is smoother again than vintage R2R PCM63-powered EAD DSP-7000 MkII.
(I enjoy the MkII but would still love a MkIII one day. BTW - These old EAD DACs are excellent used bargains imho - lovely sound and super build.)
Ares is also imho better than modern AKM or TI/BB-powered delta-sigma budget DACs I've heard like NuPrime DAC-9 and Arcam irDAC. Would still really love to hear a top-end AK4495/AK4497 setup like Esoteric Grandioso though. Haven't heard a Sabre DAC I liked yet.
To sum up I feel the Ares is a bargain. Similar in some ways to older R2R DAC chips (smooth, coherent, 'balanced') but also different, in a way that is hard to put your finger on. Discrete R2R designs are (fairly) new; I think more and more manufacturers are going this route. I have a suspicion the new Auralic Vega 2 might be one of them. Munich will reveal all.

May 13, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #939 of 3,907
I have had the opportunity to compare the Ares to my reference Ayon CD-5 CD Player/DAC, amongst others.
Take what I say with a grain of salt though; I don't speak 'audiophile'.
Ares sound is very balanced, no frequencies seem unduly emphasised.
I found it liquid, smooth and easy to listen to for long periods.
Ares has more detail but not quite as smooth as the Ayon, but that unit has 4xPCM1704K R2R DACs with 6H30 valve output stage, and was MUCH more expensive. I still prefer the Ayon overall, but then I like some valves in all my equipment to take the edge off - I mean this in general; not saying the Ares is edgy. (My amp is a 6922/Mosfet hybrid.)
Ares is smoother again than vintage R2R PCM63-powered EAD DSP-7000 MkII.
(I enjoy the MkII but would still love a MkIII one day. BTW - These old EAD DACs are excellent used bargains imho - lovely sound and super build.)
Ares is also imho better than modern AKM or TI/BB-powered delta-sigma budget DACs I've heard like NuPrime DAC-9 and Arcam irDAC. Would still really love to hear a top-end AK4495/AK4497 setup like Esoteric Grandioso though. Haven't heard a Sabre DAC I liked yet.
To sum up I feel the Ares is a bargain. Similar in some ways to older R2R DAC chips (smooth, coherent, 'balanced') but also different, in a way that is hard to put your finger on. Discrete R2R designs are (fairly) new; I think more and more manufacturers are going this route. I have a suspicion the new Auralic Vega 2 might be one of them. Munich will reveal all.

Super well said! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I agree with everything, despite (in my system) I`d call the tonality more velvety than "liquid". :ksc75smile:

May 14, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #945 of 3,907
krell1967 - is it difficult? That's for the USB input correct?

My Terminator just landed in UK customs for hopeful delivery Wednesday at latest!
Just a little, you must short the Pin 43 and 3.3VCC on dsp card, so Amanero firmware will be erased.
Then you update the new firmware from Amanero website through a tool called oemtool117.
Version firmware is 1099c. In this way your dac well be capable to play DSD256 on Linux systems

Users who are viewing this thread

Back