DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
May 9, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #902 of 3,907
Hi everybody, I’m having some issues with the USB connection of my Ares. I have connected the Ares via USB to my Mac Mini (late 2014) with OS Sierra and I’m using Jriver 22 as player. The problem is that the USB connection to the Ares crashes randomly and Jriver hangs. It’s necessary to push the stop button in Jriver and then, after a few seconds, the player starts again. I have tried also with the Spotify app and with Audirvana 3+ but the problem is still the same. Spotify needs a restart of the app. Sometimes the connection can be ok for hours, sometimes it crashes many times in 5 minutes. I have tried to replace the USB cable (Wireworld Starlight) but the problem is still the same. I have tried to downgrade the Mac OS from Sierra to Yosemite but the problem is still the same. I have tried to change the OS energy saving settings but the problem is still the same. I have tried to boot the Mac Mini with Daphile and the connection crash is the same but Daphile after a second of stop starts to play again. The only solution I have found is to connect the Ares to the Mac mini through a usb2 hub, but audio quality is getting worse. I have tried the Ares with an old laptop with Windows 7 and it works perfectly, so the problems seems to be on the Mac mini USB bus even if I had recently two dacs: Rega-R Dac and Matrix Xsabre and I didn’t have any issues. I'm wondering if any of you are using the Ares with a Mac Mini and what model and OSX version. I have found a used Mini late 2012 and I’m thinking to buy it but I’m not sure if I can solve my problem. I think the USB hardware should be different in the Late 2012 but I’m not sure.

Thanks Max

May 9, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #903 of 3,907
Hi everybody, I’m having some issues with the USB connection of my Ares. I have connected the Ares via USB to my Mac Mini (late 2014) with OS Sierra and I’m using Jriver 22 as player. The problem is that the USB connection to the Ares crashes randomly and Jriver hangs. It’s necessary to push the stop button in Jriver and then, after a few seconds, the player starts again. I have tried also with the Spotify app and with Audirvana 3+ but the problem is still the same. Spotify needs a restart of the app. Sometimes the connection can be ok for hours, sometimes it crashes many times in 5 minutes. I have tried to replace the USB cable (Wireworld Starlight) but the problem is still the same. I have tried to downgrade the Mac OS from Sierra to Yosemite but the problem is still the same. I have tried to change the OS energy saving settings but the problem is still the same. I have tried to boot the Mac Mini with Daphile and the connection crash is the same but Daphile after a second of stop starts to play again. The only solution I have found is to connect the Ares to the Mac mini through a usb2 hub, but audio quality is getting worse. I have tried the Ares with an old laptop with Windows 7 and it works perfectly, so the problems seems to be on the Mac mini USB bus even if I had recently two dacs: Rega-R Dac and Matrix Xsabre and I didn’t have any issues. I'm wondering if any of you are using the Ares with a Mac Mini and what model and OSX version. I have found a used Mini late 2012 and I’m thinking to buy it but I’m not sure if I can solve my problem. I think the USB hardware should be different in the Late 2012 but I’m not sure.

Thanks Max
Hi Max, I use a MacBook pro with a Gustard 20 playing mostly 256 DSD and up sample PCM to DSD 256 using JRiver. I had a lot of problems with my USB output on the Mac. With me they just didn't cut it. I solved the problem by buying a OWC Thunderbolt Dock. Thunderbolt out of the MAC and then usb from the dock onwards. Haven't had any problems since. Those older Mac USB ports suck, which is why they developed Thunderbolt and now USD C.

May 9, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #904 of 3,907
Hi Max, I use a MacBook pro with a Gustard 20 playing mostly 256 DSD and up sample PCM to DSD 256 using JRiver. I had a lot of problems with my USB output on the Mac. With me they just didn't cut it. I solved the problem by buying a OWC Thunderbolt Dock. Thunderbolt out of the MAC and then usb from the dock onwards. Haven't had any problems since. Those older Mac USB ports suck, which is why they developed Thunderbolt and now USD C.

May 9, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #906 of 3,907
FWIW I use a Supra $50 USB cable which I love. I was turned on to Supra by the talented folks are Botlehead, who think its good stuff.

May 10, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #907 of 3,907
Interesting. I use 2009 macbook, use tidal via audirvana 3, straight into Ares via usb.
Works just fine.
Maybe my computer is a lemon

May 10, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #908 of 3,907
Interesting. I use 2009 macbook, use tidal via audirvana 3, straight into Ares via usb.
Works just fine.

I recall i teamviewer a Windows PC previously ? Was it a apple with windows OS ? :o2smile:

May 10, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #909 of 3,907

Thanks Max

If it`s some strolling fault with random hangs and crashes it is probably related to the computer. Maybe some updates or other automatic scheduled priority processes are causing the trouble. Maybe firewall etc.
I have no experience with Mac but Foobar2000 on my Win7 laptop was working stable via Ares USB.

The fancy USB cables won`t help here. Instead spending money on USB cable I´d put it on a dedicated digital transport first.:moneybag:

May 10, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #910 of 3,907
I recall i teamviewer a Windows PC previously ? Was it a apple with windows OS ? :o2smile:

Hi Alvin,

I have since purchased a second hand MacBook so that I could run Audirvana 3, which couldn't work on my windows based laptop. I think I may have already mentioned it, but the USB implementation of the Ares was so good that the USB Regen and LPS I put in the chain provided no improvements. So I sold them. :)

May 10, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #912 of 3,907
Received the ares dac this past Monday and hooked it up right away to my Alo Pan Am amp with GE Jan 5654 w tubes and vokshod Russian rocket branded tubes. I have paired it with zmf Omni headphones monolith m1060 headphones hd6xx headphones audiofly AF 1120 iems.

Honestly Straight Out of the Box I was impressed I was told from several sources and members I trust that to let it burn in for a good amount of time. And at this current moment I would say I have about 35 hours on it comparing it two 2013 version of the audio GD nfb 28 which implements Sabre 9018 DAC chips and which I have enjoyed it's detailed, wide, and smooth playback for the past 3 years. I'll be honest I was surprised that I enjoyed all the music I listen to, which stems from anything from genres such as classical to Progressive instrumental /prog rock to Indie /alternative to Hip Hop to folk and Blues, more with the denafrips Ares DAC. As far as I can tell The width of the staging is about the same but with noticeably more depth and height giving it all round more 3D atmosphere which pairing with an open headphone that has good resolution and separation makes for a very enjoyable and realistic listening environment. I don't feel like this is an overly colored source which suits me just fine preferring closer to neutral but with good body, separation in detail, and without sounding harsh or too dry is usually what I prefer for my sources. With any coloration coming from either the headphone depending on my mood or a specific amplifier. There is very good retrieval of detail and also what seems to be very good total balance throughout the frequencies as far as I can tell. I am truly looking forward to listening further and getting ample hours of enjoyment from going through my favorite collections of Flac files and CDs, and if any Audible differences are heard from further burn in of the dac I will definitely post about it.

When I get some XLR cables I will pair Ares DAC with the balanced class a amplifier from the nfb 28 which is very powerful and a very good discrete amplifier. I am sorry if this was overly long I am at a 12 hour shift at work and it's been very slow giving me time to write this out here and there, and later on this week when I get you really test out the headphones I own I compare them from each other the difference is that I hear from the two dacs into the same amplifier if worth noting I will post about it

May 10, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #913 of 3,907
Very interested in hearing about Pontus if/when someone has heard it.

A comparison of Pontus vs Holo Spring would be divine as those are the two DACs i'm trying to decide between.

Has anyone dealt with Denafrips support at all yet? I'm curious what their warranty/support is like, and if anyone has inquired if they have a way to safely/easily replace parts on devices when they fail considering how tightly packet they are on the board.

May 11, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #915 of 3,907
Received the ares dac this past Monday and hooked it up right away to my Alo Pan Am amp with GE Jan 5654 w tubes and vokshod Russian rocket branded tubes. I have paired it with zmf Omni headphones monolith m1060 headphones hd6xx headphones audiofly AF 1120 iems.

Honestly Straight Out of the Box I was impressed I was told from several sources and members I trust that to let it burn in for a good amount of time. And at this current moment I would say I have about 35 hours on it comparing it two 2013 version of the audio GD nfb 28 which implements Sabre 9018 DAC chips and which I have enjoyed it's detailed, wide, and smooth playback for the past 3 years. I'll be honest I was surprised that I enjoyed all the music I listen to, which stems from anything from genres such as classical to Progressive instrumental /prog rock to Indie /alternative to Hip Hop to folk and Blues, more with the denafrips Ares DAC. As far as I can tell The width of the staging is about the same but with noticeably more depth and height giving it all round more 3D atmosphere which pairing with an open headphone that has good resolution and separation makes for a very enjoyable and realistic listening environment. I don't feel like this is an overly colored source which suits me just fine preferring closer to neutral but with good body, separation in detail, and without sounding harsh or too dry is usually what I prefer for my sources. With any coloration coming from either the headphone depending on my mood or a specific amplifier. There is very good retrieval of detail and also what seems to be very good total balance throughout the frequencies as far as I can tell. I am truly looking forward to listening further and getting ample hours of enjoyment from going through my favorite collections of Flac files and CDs, and if any Audible differences are heard from further burn in of the dac I will definitely post about it.

When I get some XLR cables I will pair Ares DAC with the balanced class a amplifier from the nfb 28 which is very powerful and a very good discrete amplifier. I am sorry if this was overly long I am at a 12 hour shift at work and it's been very slow giving me time to write this out here and there, and later on this week when I get you really test out the headphones I own I compare them from each other the difference is that I hear from the two dacs into the same amplifier if worth noting I will post about it

Glad you are enjoying the Ares. Would hope you might comment again after burn in. I occasionally direct connect my Ares to my Bakoon Headphone Amp and also use ZMF Omni closed headphones.
A superb matching. I love the Omni cans and of course the Ares.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back