DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Mar 31, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #677 of 3,907
Official Ares shots on Denafrips website shows 'Armature' branding on the transformer.

http://www.denafrips.com/ares.html

So maybe some kind of co-operation between them?

P.S. Expecting my Ares in a week or so. Will compare with Ayon CD-5 CD/DAC.

Mar 31, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #678 of 3,907
Hi,
ok, first post for me, after a long time silently watching, how do i say it kindly? Pitbull, how dare you to be so good informed, i was in contact with audiophonics, about them to brining the Ares to europe, and they always said in X weeks it will come, i watched their site every day, but coming to headfi first i read this from you :frowning2: :wink:

there seem to be some differences to the original Ares:
DC filterboard is missing
caps are otheres
black pcb

i wonder if this is for better or worse

Mar 31, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #679 of 3,907
Official Ares shots on Denafrips website shows 'Armature' branding on the transformer.

http://www.denafrips.com/ares.html

So maybe some kind of co-operation between them?

P.S. Expecting my Ares in a week or so. Will compare with Ayon CD-5 CD/DAC.

LOL:)) The "official shots" are taken by PitBul34. So PitBul34 has a half Ares half Armature.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
I haven`t checked mine so maybe me too.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Shootout with Ayon CD-5 will be most interesting. Please keep us posted!

Mar 31, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #680 of 3,907
  Hi,
ok, first post for me, after a long time silently watching, how do i say it kindly? Pitbull, how dare you to be so good informed, i was in contact with audiophonics, about them to brining the Ares to europe, and they always said in X weeks it will come, i watched their site every day, but coming to headfi first i read this from you :frowning2: :wink:

there seem to be some differences to the original Ares:
DC filterboard is missing
caps are otheres
black pcb

i wonder if this is for better or worse

Welcome Hifly!
beerchug.gif

It seems that the pictures in Audiophonics page were taken from not fully assembled DAC.You can see that even transformer leads are not connected to the PCB. Caps and everything else seem same to me. 

As mentioned before the black PCB is probably for blacker backround.......
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #681 of 3,907
  I think this one is 24 bit instead of ARES's 20 bit. Probably, it used the same PCM decoding as PONTUS. Please correct me if I am wrong.

It seems that the 24 bit info is a typo or something in the Audiophonics page. Resistor ladders etc. look absolutely identical to Ares. For Chineese manufacturers it`s quite common that something will be sold under different brand names in different countries.

Mar 31, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #682 of 3,907
Mar 31, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #683 of 3,907
thank you mr Pluto for clearing things up for me.

*ordered* :)

PS:
ive asked audiophonics too, heres their answer:

Hello,
Yes, the Cronos is the EU version of the Ares.
The filter board has been removed because not really useful, at the same time the transformer has been upgraded.
Baptiste ROBINO​

Mar 31, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #685 of 3,907
  thank you mr Pluto for clearing things up for me.

*ordered* :)

PS:
ive asked audiophonics too, heres their answer:

Hello,
The filter board has been removed because not really useful, at the same time the transformer has been upgraded.
Baptiste ROBINO​

Congrats on the purchase of Cronos!
beerchug.gif

I`m sure you will like it.
L3000.gif

Mar 31, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #686 of 3,907

Hello,
Baptiste ROBINO​

when it's said that the filter board has been removed - how is this going to affect sound? and has the filter board only been removed in Cronos or in Ares from now on, as well?
Mike

Mar 31, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #689 of 3,907
  when it's said that the filter board has been removed - how is this going to affect sound? and has the filter board only been removed in Cronos or in Ares from now on, as well?
Mike

the filter is only usefull if your ac power, is polluted with the noise wich is suitable for the filter. so i think it will depend on your ac power what change it will bring or if you can hear it.
im using an belkin pureav pf50 already, so for me i think i can life without extra filters, to much filtering can decrease se sound dynamics.

Mar 31, 2017 at 6:30 AM Post #690 of 3,907
the filter is only usefull if your ac power, is polluted with the noise wich is suitable for the filter. so i think it will depend on your ac power what change it will bring or if you can hear it.
im using an belkin pureav pf50 already, so for me i think i can life without extra filters, to much filtering can decrease se sound dynamics.

Has this been done to Cronos only or to Ares as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back