DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Mar 28, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #646 of 3,907
  Is anyone else finding this DAC benefits from some burn-in?  I was seriously impressed with the Ares when it first arrived, but after a couple of weeks it seems to be even better.  Maybe I'm imagining it, I don't know!  I don't fully understand the technology being used and whether burn-in would even slightly affect the sound....

No, no you aren`t imagining it. I´m not a blind believer in burn-in also. I just feel that there is not much real science behind it (aside from the normal cap recharge and warmup). ........... But in my experience Ares has transformed 180°. I`ve heard such big burn-in effect probably on speakers only. First few hours were absolutely critical. Highs were shrill and confused and I thought that it isn`t the right DAC for my TV and Computer use. Now It`s actually playing and even all the crap from TV-s music channels is absolutely listenable without a loss in details.
The voicing balance of the DAC has absolutely changed no doubt.
gs1000.gif

Mine still needs more burn-in for both SPDIF and XMOS circuits so I will post my feelings and report my shootout results sometimes later.
dt880smile.png

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #648 of 3,907
Somewhere between the fith and sixth day of total playing time it will be optimal, like all audio equipment.
Some caps do need extreme long burn-in time, but, as said, most electronic components and such do perform very well between 5th and 6th day.
That includes cabling AND solderjoints....

Many disagree, because they don't hear the difference, which on it's own is a sad thing (bad link within the audio chain, or even worse, bad ears.....)

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #649 of 3,907
My experience coincides with Abartels. I also thought that 150h for SPDIF + 150h XMOS will be sufficient. I haven't seen equipment that changes much after 150h. But regarding to Alvin it needs 300h burn-in. That translates into 600h total. Who knows?
Maybe PitBul34 can share his experiences?

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #650 of 3,907
  Is anyone else finding this DAC benefits from some burn-in?  I was seriously impressed with the Ares when it first arrived, but after a couple of weeks it seems to be even better.  Maybe I'm imagining it, I don't know!  I don't fully understand the technology being used and whether burn-in would even slightly affect the sound....

I heard a significant difference after 150 hours, the Ares when new was forward, digital and bright , now has more of an analogue sound. I'm especially impressed right now with its deep, powerful and clear bass.

Mar 29, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #652 of 3,907
Finally I get to read all the posts :fearful:
If I am not get wrong, Ares is not a NOS dac. Right ?
Anybody listen to a NOS dac like Metrum Musette and compare it to Ares or Holo ?
Thks

I could compare the Ares to a Musette, possibly this weekend. I was able to compare the Holo V3 and the Musette already. It was no contest. A fairer comparison would be the Menuet and the Holo. I have a feeling I'll prefer the Ares to the Musette, at least through speakers. I found that I preferred the MHDT Pagoda to the Musette when using speakers, which was primarily because the Musette displayed a loss of control in the bass that I had not noticed when using it for headphones. 

In a fast comparison of a very fresh (<15 hours burn in) Ares and the MHDT Stockholm V2, using an MZ2-S and HD800 headphones, I felt that the MHDT was more pleasant and less harsh, but the Ares showed immediately a better bass presence (like the Border Patrol DAC) and had enough to make me confident that after burn-in this would be a DAC that would surpass the MHDT Stockholm. I have not yet done another test, though. 

Mar 29, 2017 at 2:35 AM Post #653 of 3,907
  My experience coincides with Abartels. I also thought that 150h for SPDIF + 150h XMOS will be sufficient. I haven't seen equipment that changes much after 150h. But regarding to Alvin it needs 300h burn-in. That translates into 600h total. Who knows?
Maybe PitBul34 can share his experiences?

Thanks Mr Pluto for backing me up!

Also, dont forget, every input or output needs burn-in. When used COAX1 input 150 hours, compare it with COAX2 input, there will be a difference, not huge, but there will be difference.
This also counts for AES and RCA, they both need seperate burn-in. And, as Mr Pluto said, USB input also needs 150 hours.

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #654 of 3,907
You`re welcome Abartels!
smile.gif

Agree, and in case of USB it`s even more than just a input. If you push some other input button on Ares then all the USB/XMOS circuit will be shut down.
I also had all cables brand new therefore my burn-in impressions may be slightly bigger than with used cables.
Just complemented Ares with nice LessLoss type solid core power cord made of Neotech UPOCC hookup wire.
L3000.gif

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #655 of 3,907
  You`re welcome Abartels!
smile.gif

Agree, and in case of USB it`s even more than just a input. If you push some other input button on Ares then all the USB/XMOS circuit will be shut down.
I also had all cables brand new therefore my burn-in impressions may be slightly bigger than with used cables.
Just complemented Ares with nice LessLoss type solid core power cord made of Neotech UPOCC hookup wire.
L3000.gif

Yeah, didn't realize the switch options!

NeoTech has very good cabling designs, lots of know how in the house, very good manufacturer which also provides to many A-brand cable manufacturers which produce under their own name.

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #656 of 3,907
I could compare the Ares to a Musette, possibly this weekend. I was able to compare the Holo V3 and the Musette already. It was no contest. A fairer comparison would be the Menuet and the Holo. I have a feeling I'll prefer the Ares to the Musette, at least through speakers. I found that I preferred the MHDT Pagoda to the Musette when using speakers, which was primarily because the Musette displayed a loss of control in the bass that I had not noticed when using it for headphones. 

In a fast comparison of a very fresh (<15 hours burn in) Ares and the MHDT Stockholm V2, using an MZ2-S and HD800 headphones, I felt that the MHDT was more pleasant and less harsh, but the Ares showed immediately a better bass presence (like the Border Patrol DAC) and had enough to make me confident that after burn-in this would be a DAC that would surpass the MHDT Stockholm. I have not yet done another test, though. 

Would you happen to know how the Metrum Adagio or Pavane Level 3 compares to the Holo Spring Level 3?

Mar 29, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #660 of 3,907
Not apparent in your writing which was better.

I meant to imply that since the Menuet, a level above the Musette, would be a fairer comparison that the Musette was not as good as the Holo Level 3. I think the difference is primarily in power supply and quality of components, and that Metrum's DAC portion scales up very well. 

Would you happen to know how the Metrum Adagio or Pavane Level 3 compares to the Holo Spring Level 3?

I only heard the Pavane for a short time a while ago, so I could not comment on it or the Adagio. The Pavane was very impressive, however, and rivaled the high-end analog setup in the same room. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back