DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Jun 15, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #2,386 of 3,927
Hey hey hey, @Lolito just because you have one of the coolest avatar pics around, doesn't mean you get to go negative on us! 😜

Given this is an Ares thread, I still stand by the F-1 being a good match for the Ares spec-wise - ie, I2S/AES connections are pointless.

As for the power, the F-1 has galvanic isolation, and I already bought a linear power supply plus power injector cable (that cuts power from USB connection and injects power from psu).

The F-1 is a simplified version of the S1, which seems to have gotten unequivocally good feedback. I will report back if the F-1's performance meets its expectations once I get the it in the next few days...
how much all that? the f1 with the linear PSU and that special cable? again, just asking, not better the audiophonics solution with optical output via toslink? with all the positive vibes, ras-ta-fa-ri. May Jah be with you.

Jun 18, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #2,390 of 3,927
My SingXer F-1 came in. I have less than 24 hours on it, and it is promising; everything the Ares does, it now does better.

In its absence, I realize the Schiit Etir made the music too clinical - it brought clarity, but at the expense of changing the Ares' fundamental sound.

Jun 18, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #2,391 of 3,927
I see you have experience with these "USB cleaners". How was the "performance" or the sound in general, without any of those devices? what is your source, it has cable noise or somehting?

I see there iFi iPurifier, iFi Silencer. Any help would be highly appreciated, since this denafrips Ares2 gonna have to stay here for a long long time. Not spending more money on a DAC until 2026, minimum ;-D

Jun 18, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #2,393 of 3,927
Jun 18, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #2,395 of 3,927
Any Apple Mac computer owners here using it also with an Ares 2? I´ve read in the past some little issues or something? I use Audirvana, ALAC files, red book, then high res flacs too and dsd, all via Audirvana playback... Would be great to be warned of any caveats, so I don't get mad if it doesn't work from minute 1. I alse read it needs a ton of burn in time, right?

Jun 19, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #2,396 of 3,927
lol it does not read well. They state that Titanis receives the signal from USB and puts it in a local buffer, with the use of a local high quality clock, regenerates the USB signal and sends it to output.
I missed that... In such case it acts as a single port USB hub, as any USB 2.0 hub do buffer and regenerate USB frames before passing it to the up- and downstream port. It is called transaction translator. Every hub has at least one. It is for converting low speed devices to the high speed to not waste bandwith on the upstream port, it also allows to extend cable lenght by daisy chaining hubs. More about TT on Wikipedia.

Every hub also has an internal crystal oscilator, but clock quality doesn't matter, as most of DAC's on the market these days use asynchronous transfers. It is a transfer mode where a host transfer speed is synchronised with internal clock on the DAC.

In summary, such device for >$100 is wasting your time and money. Get an USB 2.0 hub with an external power supply connector for $5, it will do the same and additionally redirect ground loops like ifi defender does.

Jun 19, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #2,397 of 3,927
I missed that... In such case it acts as a single port USB hub, as any USB 2.0 hub do buffer and regenerate USB frames before passing it to the up- and downstream port. It is called transaction translator. Every hub has at least one. It is for converting low speed devices to the high speed to not waste bandwith on the upstream port, it also allows to extend cable lenght by daisy chaining hubs. More about TT on Wikipedia.

Every hub also has an internal crystal oscilator, but clock quality doesn't matter, as most of DAC's on the market these days use asynchronous transfers. It is a transfer mode where a host transfer speed is synchronised with internal clock on the DAC.

In summary, such device for >$100 is wasting your time and money. Get an USB 2.0 hub with an external power supply connector for $5, it will do the same and additionally redirect ground loops like ifi defender does.
and what if the hub is USB 3.0?? not the same at all, right?

Jun 19, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #2,398 of 3,927
and what if the hub is USB 3.0?? not the same at all, right?
Do you want more high frequency noise? Sure you don't, right?

3.0 hubs are more noisy, it is why I am talking specifically about 2.0 hub. Everyone can afford a dedicated hub for a DAC, less connected devices, better for ground loops.

Jun 19, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #2,399 of 3,927
So if my dac is connected to a usb 3.0 hub, you recommend that I connect a usb 2.0 hub to my 3.0 hub, and to that 2.0 hub i connect my dac? or that would be useless since the 3.0 hub is closer to the computer in this chain?

Jun 19, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #2,400 of 3,927
actually, my apple keyboard is also a usb 2.0 hub, so I can do an actual test and comment. Should the difference be really audible?

Update: Well, I can not be sure if I have that bias thing, but I think connecting it to the keyboard (usb 2.0 inside) and keyboard to macbook, sounds less shouty the female vocals high. When using the usb 3.0 hub, I would swear it's less transparent sound, and the female vocals high sound more glary, more piercing.

Used pj harvey song, to talk to you, 24-96, audirvana. upsampled x2. :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back