DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Feb 1, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #1,981 of 3,920
I wrote already that A90 has non-standard, very low input impedance. I don't remember exact figure, but it was shocking low (posted on Internet, most likely it was 2.4 kOhms). It was not written in any Topping specs sheet nor manual. They let you purchase first and find out later...

It is confirmed by the Topping designer that A90 will not work correctly with Denafrips.
The following quote is about SMSL M400 DAC which has the same type passive output as Denafrips and a similar output impedance.

Source: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-headphone-amplifier-review.13592/post-411347
sorry, my mistake. I made an unfounded assumption aka 'the mother of all screw' :rolling_eyes: But linking to ASR... I think I'll take your word for it. :ksc75smile:

Feb 1, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #1,982 of 3,920
sorry, my mistake. I made an unfounded assumption aka 'the mother of all screw' :rolling_eyes: But linking to ASR... I think I'll take your word for it. :ksc75smile:
.LOL.
For getting a truth straight from a horse mouth I would perhaps descent to hell. :)

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #1,983 of 3,920
Ugh, I've had nothing but freezing and crashes when I take the Ares II off of standby. Has anyone else had any issues with the USB implementation with Mac OSX?
Having same issues too. I am leaving it on. I was wondering if my iMac was dying but appears to be an issue. So frustrating to buy equipment based on reviews and nobody ever mentions quirks or issues. Sounds good but it’s kind of annoying

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #1,985 of 3,920
I'm considering this DAC currently. I've had the Yggy GS, Gumby, and Bifrost 2 (currently) and am trying to decide if I want to take the detail plunge with the Qutest or the tonality plunge with the Ares. It's certainly priced way more affordably than say something like the Onyx or Amethyst. Pursuing the detail train is a lot of fun and I always end up regretting it if I don't try to maximize all the little microdetails I want to hear with higher end equipment but enjoyment is just, if not the most important. Tough decision all the way around..

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #1,986 of 3,920
For those having issues with Mac freezing , contact Alvin at sales@vinshineaudio.com- supposedly there is a firmware update for MAC. I just emailed them. Fingers crossed, will keep you updated
Bad news- for MAC users you need a PC to do the firmware update and I don’t have one.

Good news talked to Alvin at Vinshine and it’s ok to leave DAC on. They are aware of the MAC issue and are working for a an update for MAC but may take few months.

Feb 6, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #1,987 of 3,920
Apple even managed to unrail intel, so beware of it's proprietary software :wink:

Feb 9, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #1,988 of 3,920
Bad news- for MAC users you need a PC to do the firmware update and I don’t have one.

Good news talked to Alvin at Vinshine and it’s ok to leave DAC on. They are aware of the MAC issue and are working for a an update for MAC but may take few months.
you can run windows inside any macos machine with parallels desktop. You can get parallels desktop online for free, illegally, but easy. or pay for it. Or use any friend/office windows machine. No big deal. not a mac software problem actually, more like the manufacture working primarily on the system that has 85% of the market already.

Feb 9, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #1,989 of 3,920
Having same issues too. I am leaving it on. I was wondering if my iMac was dying but appears to be an issue. So frustrating to buy equipment based on reviews and nobody ever mentions quirks or issues. Sounds good but it’s kind of annoying
indeed, thanks god for forums though. they save you money if you skip the hype. nothing more annoying than an erratic dac. I had a khadas tone board, which is a cheap thing, but sound is quite decent, for the price it's amazing sound actually, for a cheap desktop setup... but it turns off with any energy peak created by the coffee machine i had. had to sell that dac.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #1,990 of 3,920
you can run windows inside any macos machine with parallels desktop. You can get parallels desktop online for free, illegally, but easy. or pay for it. Or use any friend/office windows machine. No big deal. not a mac software problem actually, more like the manufacture working primarily on the system that has 85% of the market already.
lol brain fart forgot about it, thanks for the reminder, good idea

Feb 11, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #1,991 of 3,920
Oh. Well, R2R is not necessarily older. I think the RME hits the sweet spot for being resolving yet musical. I have said many times I think it's the best thousand dollars anybody will ever spend on audio gear. There are tons and tons of DACs available and the good R2R DACs start around 1500 USD I think. It could be an expensive journey.
I disagree with you completely. RME sounds analytical and neutral, it gets in the way of your music enjoyment. Ares II sounds much more musical in comparison.

Feb 11, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #1,992 of 3,920
I’m not suggesting that the RME sounds bad. I think it’s of the best D/S DACs available, but I want to hear for myself if there’s magic in the older R-2R tech. In terms of what I’m hoping to achieve it’s mostly in depth.
You are on the right track. RME sounds analytical and neutral, it gets in the way of your music enjoyment. Ares II sounds much more musical in comparison.

Feb 11, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #1,993 of 3,920
I disagree with you completely. RME sounds analytical and neutral, it gets in the way of your music enjoyment. Ares II sounds much more musical in comparison.
Everything is relative. It is more musical than most of the DACs I have and less analytical than most of the DACs I have.

I don't have the Ares and I'm not comparing it to that since I haven't heard it.

And I would hazard to say the RME hits the sweet spot because although it is very resolving, it does not sound analytical as in cold or unmusical. Really quite a magical piece of gear.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #1,994 of 3,920
Everything is relative. It is more musical than most of the DACs I have and less analytical than most of the DACs I have.

I don't have the Ares and I'm not comparing it to that since I haven't heard it.

And I would hazard to say the RME hits the sweet spot because although it is very resolving, it does not sound analytical as in cold or unmusical. Really quite a magical piece of gear.
I’m guessing would pair with a tube system nicely if this is the case?

Feb 11, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #1,995 of 3,920
I’m guessing would pair with a tube system nicely if this is the case?
Depending on the headphones you can run them right off the unit. From my point of view the RME already has enough warmth that solid state amps would be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back