DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Jan 17, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #1,936 of 3,909
Yeah, but comparing Ares to D90 doesn't make sense. Neither from BOM cost nor SQ. A person who is doing such comparison listen to a music of a Calvin Harris or similar tech stuff.

Actually, for a lot of people I think it makes sense. Those 3 DACS are all in a similar price range (~700ish USD) and if that was my budget, I'd want to know what DACS are in that range and what the differences are between them if any and use that info to decide which might be the best fit for me.

Also - nothing wrong with listening to Calvin Harris - he makes good music. lol.

Jan 18, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #1,937 of 3,909
Also - nothing wrong with listening to Calvin Harris - he makes good music. lol.
I knew it could be a reason for comparison, it is why I mentioned it. :)

Jan 18, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #1,938 of 3,909
Hello guys,

The latest licensed Thesycon Driver (For Windows PC) v5.0.0 is available to download here: link.
https://www.denafrips.com/support

4b933e_5d74272cd7974261a10cdb633b91679e~mv2.webp

The history file with changes can be downloaded at: http://www.thesycon.de/usbaudio/TUSBAudio_history.txt

Jan 20, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #1,939 of 3,909
Denafrips can't do it straight away. The amp design requires a different kind of expertise and years of experience. They know it, it is why they decided to avoid problems by using a passive I/V conversion and output.

Bitfrost 2 is priced very close to Ares, but is not NOS. And a ladder is not exactly R2R type. The best combo DAC/AMP with a price below Ares is Audio GD R2R-11 $350. It is NOS only so if you like some artificial details and more smoothness you need to upsample RedBook material on the PC (Foobar + SoX will do). However for my kind of music it is not needed. Headphone amplifier can't compare with Master 19, but drives well my HD600. If you are looking for a cheaper amp for your Ares, there is A-2, slightly above $300. It is very powerful amp, stronger than the one in R-28 combo. Perhaps @Dobrescu George should review this amp, I didn't see any.

If you want to spend more, slightly above $1000 mark, R28 (again) is the best you can get for money. Get one with a clock upgrade (2021 model with reworked interfaces). These amps are pure class A, made of discrete components (no opamps), All share the same Audio GD house of sound: neutral, slightly on a warm side. This hint of warmth dissapear only in Master series. You know that these things depend less on electronic components, but on a quality of power supply - we talk about high-end after all.

I understand. The problem in audio is that there such a huge amount of pure BS, that I can not tell if what you say it's exactly like that, or it's a big piece of crap and all you say is completely wrong... Since I can not test any of these things anywhere anymore, gotta trust online opinions, and boy, never found anything more contradictory that opinions of audio stuff, on the internet. In audioscience review, just to give an example, anything audio gd is worse than the devil, worse than bad, then other people say the other way around, and I can't test anything anyways... headphones at least can be returned most times, not audio gd stuff afaik.

About ares 2, all opinions say it's awesome. Comes with a bit of hype, of course, but still, seems worth it. I just wonder about reliability, warranty, if they break right after warranty is over, if not. If all units produced sound alike, if not. If there are QC problems, if not... :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #1,940 of 3,909
About ares 2, all opinions say it's awesome. Comes with a bit of hype, of course, but still, seems worth it. I just wonder about reliability, warranty, if they break right after warranty is over, if not. If all units produced sound alike, if not. If there are QC problems, if not... :wink:
I wouldn't worry about reliability in this case. The only things it would stop me from purchasing Ares is connectivity. Missing I2S port is something limiting from jumping to the next level of SQ. In the best case scenario you are lucky, you don't need to do anything, but it is not always a case. It is actually more frequent than a malfunction and warranty repairs.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #1,941 of 3,909
I understand. The problem in audio is that there such a huge amount of pure BS,...

Without dealer networks it certainly is harder but you save 40% off the retail prices, as it is here in the US. So take that for what it’s worth in your consideration of moving forward on a product from Vinshine Audio. But they have started to provide warranty service for products in and out of warranty here in the States, on the East and West coasts. So I’m guessing they will expand this in markets to which they sell products eventually. As for now, any knowledgable service center of audio gear would surely be able to assist in repairs, especially for an older technology as an R2R dac. So don’t sweat it! ... 😏

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #1,942 of 3,909
As for now, any knowledgable service center of audio gear would surely be able to assist in repairs, especially for an older technology as an R2R dac. So don’t sweat it! ... 😏
R2R DAC is not actually an older technology. And I don't think many centres would try to repair R-7HE for example (with regenerative power supply). Those who would, they don't realise how advanced technology is there.

Jan 21, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #1,943 of 3,909
I understand. The problem in audio is that there such a huge amount of pure BS, that I can not tell if what you say it's exactly like that, or it's a big piece of crap and all you say is completely wrong... Since I can not test any of these things anywhere anymore, gotta trust online opinions, and boy, never found anything more contradictory that opinions of audio stuff, on the internet. In audioscience review, just to give an example, anything audio gd is worse than the devil, worse than bad, then other people say the other way around, and I can't test anything anyways... headphones at least can be returned most times, not audio gd stuff afaik.

Denafrips has US service centers now, so you don't have to do any DIY work with a Vinshine staff member over email, or ship your unit back to Singapore. The build quality on my Ares II feels top notch. Personally, I ain't worried.

Unfortunately, the only way to experience this journey these days is try out different types of cheaper gear that look interesting to you and see if you love it or not. Yeah, you will be spending money on gear that you won't end up keeping but consider it an education in your own subjective taste. Then you will start to know which online opinions match your own. To keep costs down, try buying used. That way if you want to sell it, you can get most of your money back, as opposed to buying new where you take a bigger hit in depreciation.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #1,945 of 3,909
Based upon this thread I purchased the Ares and it is supposed to be here next week. I'm anxious to hear how it compares to my Bifrost 2.
Congrats man. I am on the same/opposite boat. I am waiting on my Bifrost 2 from Schiit. I had to resort to buying another dac because the Ares 2 cant handle both rca + xlr output simultaneous without sound degradation. Either Rca or XLR sounds really good. Rich, Full, and Dynamic. So I ll use my Ares 2 with my Elise. Since the bifrost 2 has no such issues, it will handle my gsx-mini via XLR and LP via RC. Its supposed to be delivered on Wednesday.

Jan 24, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #1,946 of 3,909
Congrats man. I am on the same/opposite boat. I am waiting on my Bifrost 2 from Schiit. I had to resort to buying another dac because the Ares 2 cant handle both rca + xlr output simultaneous without sound degradation. Either Rca or XLR sounds really good. Rich, Full, and Dynamic. So I ll use my Ares 2 with my Elise. Since the bifrost 2 has no such issues, it will handle my gsx-mini via XLR and LP via RC. Its supposed to be delivered on Wednesday.

Why not better getting a switch? they say ares 2 is well beyond bifrost 2 in terms of SQ.

Jan 24, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #1,947 of 3,909
What "they say" may not be what you say. SQ is subjective and impacted by the room, the other components in the system and the source material.

Also, we hear things differently. My hearing isn't what is was 40 years ago.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #1,948 of 3,909
Without dealer networks it certainly is harder but you save 40% off the retail prices, as it is here in the US. So take that for what it’s worth in your consideration of moving forward on a product from Vinshine Audio. But they have started to provide warranty service for products in and out of warranty here in the States, on the East and West coasts. So I’m guessing they will expand this in markets to which they sell products eventually. As for now, any knowledgable service center of audio gear would surely be able to assist in repairs, especially for an older technology as an R2R dac. So don’t sweat it! ... 😏

You clearly have no clue what you are talking about. I would certainly not sweat anything if a r2r ares 2 fais, but the knowledgable service center don't exist in this planet. A good solder guy earns 500$ the hour, by the way. A good one, and still, they need to be familiar with the stuff. You can find a proper macbook service repair center, but not ares 2 solder experts.

Jan 24, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #1,949 of 3,909
What "they say" may not be what you say. SQ is subjective and impacted by the room, the other components in the system and the source material.

Or maybe what they say, after digest it, it is what I say, specially if I have read minimum minimum 20 different people tried this device. If not 30. Flavour of the month, don't forget!! Alwas a lot fo information in the hifi world for all those flavours of the month. Gotta wait for the hype to be gone to know the truth.

Jan 24, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #1,950 of 3,909
What "they say" may not be what you say.
Actually it is a common opinion about Ares vs. Bitfrost 2. @Lolito is on spot, as there are number of posts reporting the same. It is despite of a more sales of Bitfrost and a stronger marketing placebo effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back