Denafrips Ares 12th speculation/discussion/impressions
Apr 25, 2023 at 3:27 AM Post #226 of 364
Is someone here using the ares 12th together with a pi2 Design Mercury 2 streamer via I2s HDMI? I don't know how to setup the I2s pins correctly, wirh both on standard pin layout, the left and right channel is changed. and I don't know how to setup the phase pin right...

Apr 25, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #228 of 364

I²S Pinout Configuration​

1. Select I²S Input
2. Press the Mute button once to enter configuration mode
3. Toggle the I²S button momentarily, 1X 2X 4X will turn on/off in a fixed pattern to denote binary 000-111
4. Wait for 3s
5. DAC back in operational mode
I²S DSD Channel Swap Configuration

1. Select I²S Input
2. Press the Mute button once to enter configuration mode
3. Toggle the COAX button
- OPT On = DSD Channel Swap
- OPT On = Normal
4. Wait for 3s
5. DAC back in operational mode

I²S IMPORTANT NOTE​

I²S has no industry standard. If you would like to use the I²S connection, the I²S pinout matching with the source (DDC/Transport/Streamer) has to be configured correctly. Mismatch of I²S pinout may result in static/noise output. The excessive noise output level may damage the loudspeakers/headphone drivers.

Suggestion of I²S matching of the Transport & DAC​

1. Connect the I²S cable (good quality HDMI cable <3ft/1m)
2. Turn down the volume (audible, minimal)
3. Play a familiar music (PCM first, followed by DSD)
4. Run through the I²S setting of the DAC, 000-111
5. One of the modes should match with the source for both PCM and DSD playback.

It's recommended to go through the Audio Tone Test to make sure the L/R channel, in phase/out of phase correctness.

Apr 25, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #230 of 364
I know the procedure, but how do I know that the phase is correct? both pin settings fot phase sound similar. I have the test tones but I don't know what they should sound like

Apr 26, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #233 of 364
I'm sorry if this has been already asked, but I would really love to know if the 12th suffers from the "lag" that I saw in some reviews of the first gen Ares, some input would be highly appreciated in this issue. Basically, I'm interested in the 12th and I would love to be able to use it for PC gaming as well like any other delta-sigma DAC.
There is definitely lag, I have to swap to my d50s to play csgo.

Apr 27, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #234 of 364
Does this have a delay-start? Like it's switching between sample rates, or buffer audio delay and can someone confirm me how much? Because I've had an IDAC-6 before and that was very noticeable with songs basically getting cut at the start around a few milliseconds after.

May 19, 2023 at 1:45 AM Post #238 of 364
I watched a recent YouTube video where I was left a bit confused. The video mentioned that there was a new firmware version for the Ares 12th?

I was under the impression that this Denafrips DAC firmware upgrade rollout was only for older products.

I purchased my Ares 12th when it first became available. So, is there a newer firmware then what originally came with it?

Again I’m asking because the video just was a bit confusing and unclear to me.

May 19, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #240 of 364
I watched a recent YouTube video where I was left a bit confused. The video mentioned that there was a new firmware version for the Ares 12th?

I was under the impression that this Denafrips DAC firmware upgrade rollout was only for older products.

I purchased my Ares 12th when it first became available. So, is there a newer firmware then what originally came with it?

Again I’m asking because the video just was a bit confusing and unclear to me.
I asked about this (obviously referring to the March update video), here's the answer I received by email since the firmware is listed as pending to be released in the contact form:

Thanks for reaching out.

We will be rolling out the FPGA firmware update in stages, firmware update for ARES 12th is coming soon. As soon as the new firmware is ready, we will keep you updated immediately.

I know it's very exciting that you will be getting a new firmware update for the DAC (for free!). I am as excited as you sir! But please bear with us at the moment. We will come back to you very soon - when the firmware update is available for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back