Denafrips Ares 12th speculation/discussion/impressions
Apr 2, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #211 of 364
Given the "not using both balanced and SE at the same time" situation with the Ares - what is my best option if I want to keep it connected to my SE amp and balanced amp at the same time - switching between the two without disconnecting cables each time?

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #212 of 364
Given the "not using both balanced and SE at the same time" situation with the Ares - what is my best option if I want to keep it connected to my SE amp and balanced amp at the same time - switching between the two without disconnecting cables each time?
Audio GD R-1

Apr 3, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #213 of 364
Given the "not using both balanced and SE at the same time" situation with the Ares - what is my best option if I want to keep it connected to my SE amp and balanced amp at the same time
1680564735714.png

Apr 6, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #214 of 364
I2S pin configuration…

Question when listening to a test track to help determine if the music is in/out of phase … I can hear a difference between the two examples in the test track .. but I don’t really know what I’m supposed to listening for??? In other words I am totally ignorant on how to use all of the below test tone tracks

I understand how to use the left and right channel test tracks.

From denafrips website I downloaded the 8 test tone files below and I don’t know how to use (what I am supposed to hear) for tracks 5-8 listed below

1)Right channel identification PCM
2)Right channel identification DSD
3)Left channel identification PCM
4)Left channel identification DSD

What am I listening for with the below tests???
5) Relative Polarity between left & right channels PCM
6) Relative Polarity between left & right channels DSD
7) Polarity Pulses PCM
8) Polarity Pulses DSD

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #215 of 364
I2S pin configuration…

Question when listening to a test track to help determine if the music is in/out of phase … I can hear a difference between the two examples in the test track .. but I don’t really know what I’m supposed to listening for??? In other words I am totally ignorant on how to use all of the below test tone tracks

I understand how to use the left and right channel test tracks.

From denafrips website I downloaded the 8 test tone files below and I don’t know how to use (what I am supposed to hear) for tracks 5-8 listed below

1)Right channel identification PCM
2)Right channel identification DSD
3)Left channel identification PCM
4)Left channel identification DSD

What am I listening for with the below tests???
5) Relative Polarity between left & right channels PCM
6) Relative Polarity between left & right channels DSD
7) Polarity Pulses PCM
8) Polarity Pulses DSD
The biggest issue is if the two channels are in the same phase. If the channels were out of phase with each other you would be getting a substantial lack of focus. Things would sound diffuse. Particularly any center image. If the channels are in the same phase a surprising number of people cannot tell the difference when it is inverted. The easiest tell is the loss of bass which would signify "out of phase". Or to put it another way phase inverted. Assuming the channels are in phase with each other than the phase inversion or lack of inversion will show on the increase of base and possibly some increase in image focus. That last part is very equipment dependent. The increase or decrease of base can be very minor or easily detectable depending on your system.

Apr 11, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #216 of 364
Okay I ran into an issue with my Ares 12th … it has been working fine using either USB or I2S … today it is all static .. both inputs only in OS … when I switch to NOS no static is heard

Is this something that anyone else has heard about?

Nevermind … I just unplugged the Ares for a short while and that seems to reset things .. no more static in OS mode

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #217 of 364
I'm going to be running outputs from that switch, but since it has two XLRs and one RCA, I'd like to convert one of the outputs to single ended for my 3rd amp. Would a cable like the attached be correct to do this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230416-103721.png
    Screenshot_20230416-103721.png
    364.4 KB · Views: 0
Apr 17, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #218 of 364
I'm going to be running outputs from that switch, but since it has two XLRs and one RCA, I'd like to convert one of the outputs to single ended for my 3rd amp. Would a cable like the attached be correct to do this?

I wouldn't use a cable like that for balanced to unbalanced connection. It appears to connect one of the active XLR outputs to ground. Thats a bad thing to do a Denafrips. One ladder will get good impedance and the other a virtual short.

A more elegant solution is to use a transformer. That way both ladders are being used, so the sound quality might be a little better.

1681739106542.png

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #219 of 364
I wouldn't use a cable like that for balanced to unbalanced connection. It appears to connect one of the active XLR outputs to ground. Thats a bad thing to do a Denafrips. One ladder will get good impedance and the other a virtual short.

A more elegant solution is to use a transformer. That way both ladders are being used, so the sound quality might be a little better.

Interesting! How does this compare with the native single ended out on the Ares? As far as I know since it doesn't have an output stage wouldn't it only be using one ladder as well? Or is that different?

Also, I got the Little Bear unit, is it effectively doing the same thing as the converter cable above?

Screen Shot 2023-04-17 at 9.18.56 AM.png

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #220 of 364

1681739106542.png
Upon more research, instead of shorting one of the ladders, it seems like this cable from Benchmark would leave one floating. Would this be a better method if I didn't want to go through a transformer?

Screenshot_20230420-063725.png

Apr 23, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #224 of 364
I'm sorry if this has been already asked, but I would really love to know if the 12th suffers from the "lag" that I saw in some reviews of the first gen Ares, some input would be highly appreciated in this issue. Basically, I'm interested in the 12th and I would love to be able to use it for PC gaming as well like any other delta-sigma DAC.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #225 of 364
I'm sorry if this has been already asked, but I would really love to know if the 12th suffers from the "lag" that I saw in some reviews of the first gen Ares, some input would be highly appreciated in this issue. Basically, I'm interested in the 12th and I would love to be able to use it for PC gaming as well like any other delta-sigma DAC.

No lag

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back