Dell PC headphone jack!?!?
Apr 3, 2002 at 6:00 PM Post #16 of 23
Here's a tip about Dell support:

1) call 1-888-660-3355. It is their 'premier support' number, but it will work with any service tag.

2) According to Dell, it is ALWAYS a software issue. They usually want you to format at LEAST once before sending out a service tech.

3) It is pretty hard to void your warranty. In the past 3 years of sending back and dealing with over 400 Dell machines I have only had one full replacement. They usually replace the part, not the machine unless they have already replaced mobo, cpu, ps, etc. which is rare.

4) The 'Dell' tech. people that come to your house are not paid by Dell. They are outsourced. In other words, the tech guy doesn't give a rat's ass what you do to it, he will replace it.. usually..
We had a guy here that put a window into the plastic side panel of a Dell 4100 and the tech just said it was cool and went on replacing the hdd...

I am not suprised they are replacing that front panel... note my first post (second from the top).

se7

Apr 3, 2002 at 6:48 PM Post #17 of 23
At work last summer, I was using a Dell computer. Not sure on the model, but it was a Piii 1GHz, with integrated sound (on motherboard). This was the crappiest headphone jack I have heard in my life. Very poor sound quality and VERY noisy. Moving the mouse around would generate noise. The hard drive reading would generate noise. And when a bright white window popped up, oh my! It was junk.

Good thing I had my Panasonic CT570 with me
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2002 at 8:22 PM Post #18 of 23
se7,

Thanks for the hot phone number. I used the one listed on their site and I was on hold for some time. Next time, I'll use the "premier" service and hope for better response time.

I understood from your first response that you were "in the business". I guess you've seen it all.

Since your firm has so many Dells, I presume that they're one of the better brands? I bought mine on a whim without doing much research. It's sure to be better than the eMachines PC I had earlier. While they're cost effective, the older I get, the more I reason that indeed, you get what you pay for.

I'm aware that the Dell service guy is contracted. I was concerned that he may not know much about their systems. Based on your input and some sound reasoning on my part (ahem!), I did conclude that they're not going to repair anything, rather, they'll keep replacing stuff until it works. Sign of the times, but fine with me.

I just want to listen to tunes while I'm on the PC. The thought of adding a little amp is really appealing.

...and to Desben's point, I too am currently on my Pana 570 through a Porta Corda amp and KSC35's as I type. I'd rather just be direct through the PC for one less piece of clutter on my desk.

Thanks again and cheers,
davo

Apr 3, 2002 at 10:14 PM Post #19 of 23
We buy Dells because they are one of the only major oem companies that put fairly standard components into their systems. It is a problem if you cannot replace one video card with another, or sound, or whatever. They use generic nvidia cards, nothing special, same with sound. They also offer a good warranty and half decent service.

HP - We have about 10 HP's... video cards crapped out on half of them, and HP wouldn't replace them. After formatting each machine they still insisted it was a software issue.

Gateway - We have found used parts in new machines. Unacceptable.

Compaq - Worst of all. Bad to no service whatsoever. Service # always busy. Rude people that have no clue what they are talking about. Cheap no name hardware.

Sony - So-so machines, way too expensive.

emachines - bought 1 on a whim for some girl in production. Have always had probs with it.

On another note - The GOOD Dell speakers (with champagne like desktop speakers) are very very nice. There are many different Harmon Kardon models that they sell. The champagne style is excellent imo compared to other oem speakers that came with our other machines. However, they have no headphone jack.

Dude, to make a long story short, why don't you buy a headphone extension cable and run it from your soundcard to your desk? I would be willing to say it is not going to be worth the hassle with the port replicator on the Dell unless the guy fixes it the first time.

Good Luck,
se7

Apr 4, 2002 at 5:13 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by DesBen
At work last summer, I was using a Dell computer. Not sure on the model, but it was a Piii 1GHz, with integrated sound (on motherboard). This was the crappiest headphone jack I have heard in my life. Very poor sound quality and VERY noisy.

Yep. The Dell headphone jack in question is utter crap, as well. I've been forced to use it in some computer labs, and it is possibly *the* most atrocious thing ever conceived. It's got nothing on even AM radio! Geesh.

On the other hand, I've noticed that the Macintosh G4 towers have headphone jacks that are unreasonably good for built-ins.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2002 at 10:08 AM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Alleria
On the other hand, I've noticed that the Macintosh G4 towers have headphone jacks that are unreasonably good for built-ins.
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually, I've found that Macs have always had pretty darned good headphone jacks as far as computers go. Even the iBook has a decent one.

Apr 4, 2002 at 12:28 PM Post #22 of 23
Imagine the joy it would bring to the ears of the general public and the potential profit awaiting them if a company like Headroom could successfully set up a contract with a major PC manufacturer like Dell or Gateway and assemble built-in headphone amps for the PCs coming out in the future.

Apr 8, 2002 at 11:42 PM Post #23 of 23
Just to put a cap on this thread, the tech returned today (could have come on Friday, but I was booked) with a new soundcard and cable from the soundcard to the front panel. We had both deduced last Wednesday that one of these two components had to be the problem as he had replaced the front panel daughter card to no avail.

Well, I was surprised to see that the procedure today was to replace both the board and the cable in one swell foop.

The good news is that the front panel jack now works and works very well indeed! The bad news (if it really is one) is that neither the tech nor I know where the problem was. I would have thought that you'd replace one, then the other. You know, the process of elimination. I asked him if this was the normal procedure and he answered affirmatively. Sort of a waste, but he's supposed to return all the components to Dell. If he doesn't, Dell charges them. Wonder what they do with the sound card which might be okay? Worst case, it would only be the connector on the card for the duplex cable to the front panel.

On the sound quality, I've used both my Senn 580 and my Koss KSC-35 and the sound quality from this jack is terrific with tons of volume at about 40% gain on the master volume control. Deep, clean bass, shimmering treble and clear mid-range. BTW, it's the Santa Cruz Turtle Beach card.

I'm pleased both with the result and the service, ulitmately.

Thanks for your inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back