[Deleted]
Apr 15, 2021 at 6:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Spinjitzu

New Head-Fier
I'm not able to post threads in that forum because apparently I have "insufficient privileges" to post there. What does this mean?
I have already made two posts in this current forum, but am still not allowed to post in Sound Science.
Am I missing something here?

Apr 15, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #2 of 10
You're probably better off that way. :wink:

Apr 15, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #4 of 10
Most of the subforums are cordial, friendly, welcoming. The subsection you mentioned is the most contentious and unfortunately the contigent that hangs out there is quite bellicose.

Apr 15, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #6 of 10
Why do you say so, kind Sir/Madam?

Edit: Okay, now that you've replied, I can finally post there. Thanks :)
Ok, I warned ya :D

Bring your hard hat and asbestos suspenders...

Apr 15, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #7 of 10
I don't think the Sound Science forum is particularly unfriendly or contentious so long as you go in with an attitude of genuine curiosity and honest open-mindedness toward a scientific approach. I think it's important to go in with the knowledge that the job of science is more to understand than to prove. At least, that's my opinion.
Of course, if you go in with firmly held beliefs or opinions presented as fact and without being able to provide concrete evidence to a certain standard, then, yeah, it can get a little unfriendly. The tricky part is knowing where your opinions end and facts begin. That's where open-mindedness comes in.

Keep in mind, too, that a lot of the people in Sound Science have been posting there for a long time and have seen a lot of people come and go— some of them honest, a few trolling, most fervently holding onto what they think they already understand— and so they're quick to judge if they suspect you're up to no good. Try not to take offense (unless, of course, you're trolling).

I think the non-Sound Science forums are sometimes more unfriendly toward science-minded people, rather than vice versa. In fact, some scientific discussions are banned in all forums except Sound Science.
But you shouldn't be surprised if people don't enjoy having their parade rained on.

You just have to realize where you're posting and who you're talking to. When in Rome, and all that.

Apr 15, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #8 of 10
I don't think the Sound Science forum is particularly unfriendly or contentious so long as you go in with an attitude of genuine curiosity and honest open-mindedness toward a scientific approach. I think it's important to go in with the knowledge that the job of science is more to understand than to prove. At least, that's my opinion.
Of course, if you go in with firmly held beliefs or opinions presented as fact and without being able to provide concrete evidence to a certain standard, then, yeah, it can get a little unfriendly. The tricky part is knowing where your opinions end and facts begin. That's where open-mindedness comes in.

Keep in mind, too, that a lot of the people in Sound Science have been posting there for a long time and have seen a lot of people come and go— some of them honest, a few trolling, most fervently holding onto what they think they already understand— and so they're quick to judge if they suspect you're up to no good. Try not to take offense (unless, of course, you're trolling).

I think the non-Sound Science forums are sometimes more unfriendly toward science-minded people, rather than vice versa. In fact, some scientific discussions are banned in all forums except Sound Science.
But you shouldn't be surprised if people don't enjoy having their parade rained on.

You just have to realize where you're posting and who you're talking to. When in Rome, and all that.
Wholeheartedly agree with you. Open-mindedness is the key.

Apr 15, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #9 of 10
If you have a mind that you feel needs opening, sound science can be a place. Personally not interested, prefer opinions. The more the better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back