Defrag
Sep 20, 2009 at 1:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

KingStyles

Headphoneus Supremus
I am defragging my computer server now that I have loaded up my current collection on it and started running a defrag. My collection right now is only about 250 GB but its been 9 hours now and it is still going. I was just curios on how long some people have had to wait for there computer to defrag since I know a lot of people have way more music than me. Just curios.

Sep 20, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #2 of 9
It partially depends on how fast your hard drive is - newer drives are considerably faster than old ones, and 7200rpm drives are faster than 5400rpm ones. Also, if you've been using the drive for a long time, and never defragged before, you'd be amazed at how much work the program needs to do. Also, if you're doing other stuff at the same time, that'll slow it down somewhat too.

On the bright side, once the program's defragged a given file, it's defragged (until another program splits it up, anyway), so you can shut down the program, and run it another time, and it'll effectively pick up where it left off. Is the program you're using giving you a progress bar?

Sep 20, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 9
I am using the standard defrag in vista which doesnt have a progress bar. No worries though. Just would like to listen to some music, but this is important to keep everything running smoothly.

Sep 20, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #4 of 9
you're stressing the hell out of your hard drive...it'd be far less stressful to move the data to a new drive, then move it back. defrag is not always your best choice IMO.

Sep 21, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #7 of 9
The Vista defragger is pretty famous for being really slow. And then it also depends on factors like the level of fragmentation, how often you defrag etc.
I would recommend you give Diskeeper09 a try. Its completely automatic, light on resources and very efficient. Its the best I've come across.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back