Defluxer/cleaner recommendation
Mar 2, 2008 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

dcrane

Head-Fier
I am going to order some stuff I need and want to get something to clean my work. I've never used anything before - I just leave it on there. But I've had to fix some commercial electronics (receiver, dvd) and the stickiness annoys me. So, which stuff do you guys recommend? I use Cardas quad eutectic solder but want something that will clean other flux and won't take the skin off my hands.

Mar 2, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #2 of 13
I could not locate a small quantity of 90%isopropyl alcohol, soI followed a tip in one of Tangent's amp-building tutorials and bought a small bottle of Radio Shack AV Tape and Head Cleaner. That and a toothbrush does a pretty good job of removing most of the flux. A few shots of canned air to dry works fine. I did notice that it dulls the solder joints.

Mar 2, 2008 at 10:50 PM Post #3 of 13
90% (or 91) isopropyl alcohol from any drugstore/walmart/target works fine. It will leave some cloudiness on the solder joints but it doesn't effect their integrity at all. If you can't stand that you can get some commercial flux cleaner, but it's more like $10 for the same amount of iso that you'll pay $1 or $1.50 for

Mar 2, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #4 of 13
you can also check Safeway. I bought a bottle of 99% isopropyl alcohol there.

Mar 3, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by user18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you can also check Safeway. I bought a bottle of 99% isopropyl alcohol there.

!! that's quite a find. i've only ever seen 70% and 91% in drugstores/grocery stores.

Mar 3, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #6 of 13
Go to lowes/homedepot and pick up some denatured alcohol. It's ethanol (same stuff we drink) with a bit of poisonous methanol added so it doesn't get taxed.

Mar 4, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by xmokshax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
!! that's quite a find. i've only ever seen 70% and 91% in drugstores/grocery stores.

yeah, I actually went to Walgreens first. The store I went to only had 70%, I was going to Safeway afterwards, so I decided to check there. Low and behold, 99% bottle for $2.

Mar 4, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #8 of 13
There are special flux remover aerosol sprays available from electronics supply stores, and they work great. I use them on my own PCBs and the result is squeaky clean. They are nasty chemicals, though, so be careful.

I got mine from the local Fry's Electronics, but they are also available via mail order from places like MCM electronics (search "flux remover", there are a number of different varieties depending on the type of flux you have).

Mar 4, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #9 of 13
Is there a particular one you like Amb? I picked up a cheap brand from Fry's and can't say I really care for it.

In the Midwest, Jewel/Osco carries the Safeway brand 99% alcohol. I have some denatured alcohol, but hadn't tried it for flux removal... might have to do that.

Mar 4, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a particular one you like Amb? I picked up a cheap brand from Fry's and can't say I really care for it.

In the Midwest, Jewel/Osco carries the Safeway brand 99% alcohol. I have some denatured alcohol, but hadn't tried it for flux removal... might have to do that.

Yep - some of that name-brand flux remover is pretty nasty stuff. I have some Puretronics 6000, and like many things that advertise "safe for the environment and the ozone layer", it's not too good in terms of exposure to the individual. The fumes from the PCE are pretty bad.

IMHO, it also works no better than Walmart 91% isopropyl. I haven't found that the 91% leaves any film, either - if you rinse enough. The key for me is to towel it off each time. Otherwise, you're just spreading the dissolved flux around. The paper towels get yellow enough to indicate that it's a decent strategy.
wink.gif

Mar 5, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a particular one you like Amb?

I currently use MG Chemicals 413B-425G (Google that and you'll find details) and it works very well. It's about $10 a can (15oz), so not cheap.

Mar 5, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #12 of 13
Living over here in Japan makes picking up the stuff impossible since they're all restricted from being shipped to APO
frown.gif
Going to start checking the Japanese drug stores soon, hopefully they'll have some

Users who are viewing this thread

Back