Definitive technology (DefTech) symphony 1
Sep 21, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #91 of 121
I've never seen anyone complain about the sound changing for the worse after "burn-in", but if you say so :)
I know from experience that I mentally adjust when i change my main headphone, but it requires a couple of days.

Sep 22, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #92 of 121
  I've never seen anyone complain about the sound changing for the worse after "burn-in", but if you say so :)
I know from experience that I mentally adjust when i change my main headphone, but it requires a couple of days.

I've seen a few people complain about burn in changes but it is rare. Mentally adjusting occurs whenever you change headphones really. If you are doing it with a new pair of headphones it can be argued that you are just adjusting to the sound and there is no burn in. When you get a new pair do you try burning in while you listen to them or wait til they burn in before using them?

Sep 24, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #93 of 121
I have no belief in burn-in being anything but mental, so I use them straight off. If it was really a thing, manufacturers would do it before shipping.

Anyways, I was referring to switching between my current set of headphones.

But enough with the OT :)

Sep 24, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #94 of 121
I have no belief in burn-in being anything but mental, so I use them straight off. If it was really a thing, manufacturers would do it before shipping.

Anyways, I was referring to switching between my current set of headphones.

But enough with the OT
smily_headphones1.gif

Fair enough. A lot of people don't seem to believe in burn in these days.

Switching between headphones you own is definitely all mental. Takes a while to get used to another pair and then when you go back to your old pair you have to get used to that again.

Nov 10, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #96 of 121
If anyone is considering these headphones for watching TV or gaming the Symphony 1 supports aptx LL even though it isn't specifically advertised as supporting it. Successfully tested it out with a couple of different adapters and when I asked Def Tech customer support about it they confirmed it.

Nov 25, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #97 of 121
  @NeoteriX Good update. How did you find the size of the Symphony 1 compared to the Samsung Level Over, both in terms of overall size and ear cup size? The Symphony 1's are pretty damn big themeselves (though very light) but you don't seem to have an issue with them. Seems hard to imagine the Level Over could be much bigger than it!

This reply is about 5 months overdue :frowning2: 

I was able to dig up the Samsung Level Overs that I was planning on putting on eBay (but also neglected to do until recently). Before I packaged them up for eBay, I was able to take a few measurements and snap a few pictures.

For the Samsung Level Overs, the earcups are oblong/oval, with a longer height than width. The exterior size of the earcup (measured from outside edge to edge) is a 3.875" height by 3" width. The interior of the earcup is 2.75" by 1.75". Overall I think they are smaller than the Symphony 1s but I'd have to go back and double check their measurements; the Symphony 1s have a circular earcup.

Nov 25, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #98 of 121
  ANC and passive isolation:
Not the best ANC I've encountered, I find them to be on or maybe a little bit below par compared to the Sennheiser Momentum Wireless AE and the Denon AH-GC20. The passive isolation is decent, the size of the earpads shut out some external noise but voices etc are still quite audible. This headset is good at blocking out wind noise though, I could only feel the breeze and not hear it like I would with the Zik 2.0's and some other headsets. I tried them on a train and they did a decent job at silencing some of the rumble but not nearly as much as othe ANC headphones I've tried. The Parrot Zik 2.0's and Samsung Level Over are better at blocking out the noise actively and passively, and of course the Bose QC25's if you don't care about bluetooth.

Comfort notwithstanding, I was surprised to see this. My personal experience with the Symphony 1s and the Level Overs was that the Symphony 1s were hands down superior to the Level Overs, in both active and passive states, and a friend who I had also try them out and compare agreed (not scientific obviously). I live and commute in New York City, and listening to music or podcasts in the subway with the Level Overs was tolerable, but not great from a noise perspective. The Symphony 1s are far better to listen to in the subway and start to be enjoyable (though the noise still drowns out a significant part of any musical detail). 

Different strokes for different folks clearly (and comfort may actually play into this where if you're not getting a good and comfortable seal, this could affect things a lot). 

Nov 25, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #99 of 121
  For the Samsung Level Overs, the earcups are oblong/oval, with a longer height than width. The exterior size of the earcup (measured from outside edge to edge) is a 3.875" height by 3" width. The interior of the earcup is 2.75" by 1.75". Overall I think they are smaller than the Symphony 1s but I'd have to go back and double check their measurements; the Symphony 1s have a circular earcup.

Thanks. The Symphony 1's are definitely bigger than them. Not completely round but their width isn't that much shorter than its height. External dimemsions are 4.2'' x 3.5'' and the internal dimensions are about 2.5'' x x 2''. Reasonably deep too.

Feb 15, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #100 of 121
I am frequent traveler and looking to upgrade my Sony MDR10RDC which is decent in all areas but nothing exciting as far as sound signature goes. I have the narrowed down to Symphony as a decent option over momentum due to fit, price and bluetooth issues. I did try Momentum in one of the stores at airport, sounds great but ear cups were little small for my ears.

I never got a chance to audition Symphony and wondering how the phones respond to EQ from the source? I love bass impact and rumble though not overly a bass head but do prefer good mids and highs. based on all reviews and this thread Symphony seems to have good mids, highs but guessing the bass may be little lean for my tastes and hoping if it responds well to EQ than I am set to get a pair.

Feb 21, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #101 of 121
  I am frequent traveler and looking to upgrade my Sony MDR10RDC which is decent in all areas but nothing exciting as far as sound signature goes. I have the narrowed down to Symphony as a decent option over momentum due to fit, price and bluetooth issues. I did try Momentum in one of the stores at airport, sounds great but ear cups were little small for my ears.

I never got a chance to audition Symphony and wondering how the phones respond to EQ from the source? I love bass impact and rumble though not overly a bass head but do prefer good mids and highs. based on all reviews and this thread Symphony seems to have good mids, highs but guessing the bass may be little lean for my tastes and hoping if it responds well to EQ than I am set to get a pair.

I haven't listened to the MDR10RDC, so I can't say that they can compare. However, compared with my other headphones, the Symphony 1s are not bass shy. They are not Beats level of bass, but they definitely are warm sounding and lean towards bass. I also suspect there is some mild bass EQing going on with the power/ANC circuit because when listening to the S1s via the 3.5mm jack with the headphones turned off, the sound signature is a bit more neutral and when you power it on there is a lot more bass.

Consequently I haven't really tried EQing the S1s as they generally meet my preferences without need for EQ.

Hope that helps. 

Feb 23, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #102 of 121

I have done a bit of EQ with them and they do EQ very easily though the result does vary depending on what software you are using to EQ them. Using viper4android and viper4windows they EQ'd really well; bass could be boosted without sounding muddy or boomy. They didn't respond as well when using the EQ software provided with some music players on pc, EQ worked fine but sound quality clearly dropped when moving away from the default settings. Bass ended up distorted and highs often became very sibilant. But in general if the EQ'ing is done right they respond quite nicely and can easily be adjusted to the sound signature you prefer.

Jul 18, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #104 of 121
Purchased these yesterday and absolutely love the sound.

But, I've run in to a major issue. The headphone seems to be 'stuck'. All three buttons are on (ANC, Power, Bluetooth) and I can't turn them off. I can't even plug in the 2.5 or USB to get sound through them. Has anyone had similar issues?

Jul 19, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #105 of 121
Hold the ANC button and the volume up button, and it should work - thanks to @n00b2 for that tip.

I actually just killed mine trying that when I didn't need to, and plugging them in to my laptop made them responsive and turn on again (automatically).

So one of those two methods should work.

Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back