Definitive technology (DefTech) symphony 1
Aug 30, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #106 of 121
Hey, did anyone try comparing the symphony 1 with Sennheiser Momentum 2 wireless or Bose QC35?? How do them compare??

Sep 14, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #107 of 121
  Hold the ANC button and the volume up button, and it should work - thanks to @n00b2 for that tip.

I actually just killed mine trying that when I didn't need to, and plugging them in to my laptop made them responsive and turn on again (automatically).

So one of those two methods should work.

Enjoy!

Thanks for that, I've been waiting for them to drain so I can use them again.

How often does it occur for you? It's a weekly thing for me, and I'm pretty much set on returning them. 

Dec 7, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #108 of 121
With the price drop on these to under $300 I picked up a pair.  I plan to use them with a portable dac/amp for playing hi-res files on an upcoming trip.  Anyone else have impressions of these in passive mode but with a good amplified source?

Dec 7, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #109 of 121
Why would you do that?

They have a DAC built in.

I think you'd be better off either connecting them using BT4/AptX or if you want to go wired, get a nice braided/flexible usb cable - or use the one provided with an adaptor, it's pretty good, and connect them directly to the device - such as a mobile phone.

Dec 7, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #110 of 121
Not that often, 

Thanks for that, I've been waiting for them to drain so I can use them again.

How often does it occur for you? It's a weekly thing for me, and I'm pretty much set on returning them. 

Not that often, although it just happened the other day, they wouldn't turn on and couldn't get them to reset or anything.

Just plugged them into my laptop using USB and they came on right away.

That happened when I pressed a lot of buttons, not waiting for it to catch up.

I do find the controls annoyingly laggy. Like turning them on and off (and the wake up sound is so annoyingly loud! As is the low volume - which is far worse, as for the wake up I put them on after waiting a second and for the sound to play)

Basically if you try pressing a lot of buttons without waiting for them to catch up, they'll get stuck.

They really are far from perfect. I'm been thinking about headphones again recently, with the new sennheser's etc - although I imagine the earcups will be too small for me.

So far only the Level Overs and the Symphony 1s have fit me. And actually the Level Overs were more comfortable.

The main issue with the Symphony 1s is that the headband isn't long enough at all - I have to fully extend them, and they're just okay.
But they don't stay fully extended. So I always pull the cups before putting them on.
And the headband isn't very comofortable at all.
Sometimes it doesn't bother me, but other times it still hurts the top of my head.

Basically, ergonomically they're pretty poor.
Hard to locate buttons, laggy controls, really bad start up and low battery sounds.
Annoying beeping - which I think is caused by them losing a bluetooth connection - and then trying to search for it again.
I think to myself - **** - I don't want to use that source anymore (e.g. my laptop), shut up and use my phone as you are, and stop beeping to me that you're no longer connected to my laptop because your range too crap.

They're frustrating.

I mostly use them indoors.

But I started using them out recently (instead of my bt in ear audio technicas which I got in Japan - nice headphones), and I must say it is magical. I used them in Ikea. With the good over ear cups, noise cancellation, good sound and nice music - I just walked around and couldn't hear anybody.
Was magical seeing all these noisy kids noiselessly pass by.
I'm very sensitive to noise, and it makes certain places very unpleasant for me. But with these, it's bliss.

So it's a bit love/hate for me.

Answering @bladefd I tried the Sennheiser momentum 2 wireless before these, and returned them despite getting a good deal because the ear cups were simply too small for me. They're much smaller, and only suitable for small or medium ears.
The headband was also uncomfortable, I think more so actually. But more scope as I didn't need to fully extend the earcups at all, and you could always pad it, which isn't an option for me with the Symphony 1s as then they wouldn't sit low enough and fit properly around my ears.

In terms of sound, the Sennheiser's were punchier. A less warm sound. The bass is less sharp and warmer on the Symphony 1s.
I was less impressed with the Symphony 1s sound after the Sennheisers - it felt too muddy and warm maybe. But I've read others saying the Sennheiser's low end is clipped.
So the Sennheiser's make a quicker impression, like a very bright, saturated TV in a shop.
They're not necessarily as refined or good.
I don't know.
The Symphony 1s do sound great. They're more like slow burners I think.
A sophisticated woman vs sex on legs.

But I did want the Sennheiser's to work for me, as they're light weight, look beautiful - they're a real luxury product - great materials and design. And the ergonomics are better. Also they have lovely voice prompts.

I left some better impressions before. I'll see if I can dig them up at some point.

Also @frashed feel free to leave your impressions here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/761894/the-active-noise-cancellation-bluetooth-headphones-thread-quick-guide-comparison-and-discussion

In terms of headphone impressions - for me the Sony underwater ones (they can't be plugged into a source - they have inbuilt storage/mp3 player) are life changing. Listing to DJ Krush underwater really is magic. Just got a newer model which I haven't tried yet.
But after that the Symphony 1 Ikea experience was pretty cool.
So there's a lot to be said for high quality circumaural ANC headphones.

I'm looking forward to the Doppler Labs Here One now.

I think those will be underwater headphone level. Might even pre order some. Magic.

Dec 7, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #111 of 121
Thanks, I know they have a dac built in but that's not why I bought them. The S1 dac is inferior to my separate equipment.    I'm sure the 32bit768kHz BB dac in my ifi micro will sound better than the 16bit/48kHz CSR dac in the S1.  As such the S1 won't decode Hi-Res audio. 

I bought these for the convenience of using one set of cans for air travel and critical listening on the go.

Dec 7, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #112 of 121
I don't know, I've got some high res audio but mostly use 320kbs mp3s.
I'm not sure I could tell any difference.
I do notice a difference between using BT with and without AptX however.

And the inbuilt DAC certainly sounds better than using them plugged in with a standard source.

I don't have my own dac etc. Personally I see a lossless digital connection as the way forward.
Converting only once at output using a DAC optimised for the drivers/headphones.

I'd like to get a nice flexible braided USB cable for that.
But cable noise bothers me.

ANC headphones typically sound poor in passive mode.
If I remember correctly the Sennheiser's had the best match between their passive and active sound.

Basically, these are made to use their DAC.
If you want to use them passively, you'll have to work hard to make the output sound good I think.
You'll have to tune your DAC extensively I imagine to give the right output, basically replicating what the inbuilt DAC already does.

You're then going to lose all this supposed extra detail over your analogue connection.

Perhaps someone that's used them with a high end DAC can comment.

Mar 10, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #113 of 121
I'm thinking about getting a pair of ANC headphones for flying. Now that these and PSB M4U 2 are getting older, the prices are dropping. I'm trying to decide if its worth saving a little money and getting one of these older sets vs the latest and greatest like the Beoplay H9 and Momentum Wireless that are still $400 - $500. Any opinions?

May 21, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #114 of 121
I've had my Symphony 1's for almost 2 years and I've tried so many alternatives for all day comfort. Nothing other than the samsung level overs have a really nice big earcups and I don't understand it. Luckily, somehow, these definitive tech headphones are soooo cheap now on ebay etc, (I've gotten a second backup pair for $60 freaking dollars). Just pick them up, nothing has come close to them. The resetting issue is literally holding two buttons down and your done, it happens once every couple days, not a big deal. The buttons being 'clumsy', personally there are two sets of buttons, split in 2 sets of 3. Once you know what they do, its so easy to do blind. The play/volume buttons, there is a dimple on the play button, easy... the power on is center on the other set. Honestly guys, I just had to pop in here because I really think these are the needle in the haystack of a great deal amongst small ear sized bluetooth cans. My only issue at this point is the battery life is noticable compared to say a pair of sonys, as I can get through the battery in a single day before I go to bed, but honestly I'd rather habitually put my headphones on a charger daily than have to remember how many days its been. Anyway, pick them up if you haven't yet and are looking for a really nice sounding comfy big set without having to bother with wires.

Oh and one last thing, if you're a gamer, you can just plug them into your xbox one or playstation 4 controller and when powered on, the mic works with no fiddling.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #115 of 121
I've been considering purchasing these on A or E for about a hundred. I'm wondering if these would be legit or counterfeit. I can't imagine anyone wanting to counterfeit Def Tech... if it were Bose I could see that.

Anyone have any opinions?

Jun 10, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #116 of 121
I don't think there are counterfeits, the originals didn't do that well to begin with. Thats a lot of work to make something that people don't even want. Just make sure it has the box/holder, someones not going to go to the trouble of reproducing the whole set. Then again I'm not a pro on the subject just doesn't seem like a good item to counterfeit to me especially when they aren't even trying to get retail.

I think the thing is, Def Tech released them with a 'premium' retail price, but they just aren't selling so people are selling used etc for a loss off the original cost. Also, I've seen Def Tech sell these themselves down to 250 on sale at retail (A and E).

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #117 of 121
All: I purchased these headphones and I will say I am very impressed. My only complaint is that the head band doesn't have enough padding so it hurts the top of my head.

Has anyone developed a solution to remedy this?

I've been wondering if I could somehow add memory foam to it... or build an external sleeve to go over it.

Thanks.

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #118 of 121
All: I purchased these headphones and I will say I am very impressed. My only complaint is that the head band doesn't have enough padding so it hurts the top of my head.

Has anyone developed a solution to remedy this?

I've been wondering if I could somehow add memory foam to it... or build an external sleeve to go over it.

Thanks.
I found the same painful experience with these wonderful headphones. Ben thinking about similar solution like yours. I found however that when I move the headband towards the forehead it causes no more pain.

Mar 2, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #120 of 121
I have not updated my firmware on them and they are still great headphones other than having to do the reset every now and then. I have a backup pair as well $50! If you end up figuring out that they do indeed have a firmware update do post about it here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back