Definitive technology (DefTech) symphony 1
Jan 8, 2015 at 11:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 121

Allanmarcus

Headphoneus Supremus
Not sure if people have seen this, but def tech has a new set of cans

http://www.definitivetech.com/products/symphony

Symphony 1 embodies the precision and purposeful engineering that Definitive Technology is known for, delivering the very best sound quality and noise canceling experience. Featuring over-ear seal, Symphony 1 immediately drowns out surrounding noise so listeners can create their own Zen space and fully immerse themselves in remarkable sound. With wireless Bluetooth® connectivity for an unencumbered listening experience, a striking aesthetic, and 50 mm drivers for the broadest and richest soundstage, Symphony 1 is the ultimate headphone for the most discerning audio aficionados.

Richly detailed, full fidelity deep bass for exhilarating audiophile performance.

Unencumbered listening experience with Bluetooth® wireless technology.

Positive over-ear seal and dual-mode active noise canceling.

Lightweight aluminum and premium materials for exceptional comfort and style.

50 mm driver for full-frequency sound range and broader soundstage.

Improved all digital playback and maximized accuracy during digital-analog conversion.

Premium, robust protective case with carabeener and silk liner and soft travel pouch included for convenience.

Easily control and adjust volume, play controls, bluetooth on/off, noise cancelling on/off, power on/off.

Works in active and passive mode for fail-proof performance, even on long trips.

Automatically senses and adjusts noise cancelling levels. Outstanding voice reception when using telephone.

Up to 15 hour battery life

30’ Bluetooth® range

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #2 of 121
I'm just wondering if anyone had a chance to demo them at CES? I currently have Grado SR325 and considering buying PSB M4U-2 especially with them 100 off right now and just wondering how these compare

Feb 11, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 121
Ships in March, according to a "product review" reply on their web page.

Feb 19, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #4 of 121
Wonder if these will be more comfortable for large ears than the Momentum Wireless, and so perhaps the best ANC Wireless headphones for some. Hopefully they get it right first time, but it's their first set of headphones...

Mar 1, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #5 of 121
  Wonder if these will be more comfortable for large ears than the Momentum Wireless, and so perhaps the best ANC Wireless headphones for some. Hopefully they get it right first time, but it's their first set of headphones...

They certainly look much larger than the Momentum Wireless so I imagine they will be much better for people with big ears like us. The bloomberg review I linked on the other thread gives a good comparison of the size of the each. Early reviews also seem to indicate that they have got things right first go.

Mar 1, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #6 of 121

They certainly look much larger than the Momentum Wireless so I imagine they will be much better for people with big ears like us. The bloomberg review I linked on the other thread gives a good comparison of the size of the each. Early reviews also seem to indicate that they have got things right first go.

other thread? Link?

Mar 3, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #8 of 121
Cheers, they seem great.

I have a number of issues with the Level Overs, so the Symphony 1s seem like a great cross between the Momentum Wireless and Level Overs - and the ear cups rotate so you can wear them comfortably around your neck anyway.

It'd be great if the Momentum Wireless had bigger ear pads and more comfortable headband (and didn't have bluetooth issues or finicky controls!), and then they'd probably be the best all in one - as you can use them at home, travelling, out and about, as a headset, as headphones etc.

But it seems the Symphony 1s trade off some of that portability for even better sound and sounstage, and better comfort - especially for larger ears.
Seems like a winner to me. Wonder how good the ANC is. The review didn't really say much.

Right, how to get them in the UK?

Mar 3, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #9 of 121
  Cheers, they seem great.

I have a number of issues with the Level Overs, so the Symphony 1s seem like a great cross between the Momentum Wireless and Level Overs - and the ear cups rotate so you can wear them comfortably around your neck anyway.

It'd be great if the Momentum Wireless had bigger ear pads and more comfortable headband (and didn't have bluetooth issues or finicky controls!), and then they'd probably be the best all in one - as you can use them at home, travelling, out and about, as a headset, as headphones etc.

But it seems the Symphony 1s trade off some of that portability for even better sound and sounstage, and better comfort - especially for larger ears.
Seems like a winner to me. Wonder how good the ANC is. The review didn't really say much.

Right, how to get them in the UK?

If the ear pads were slightly bigger they would no longer be the best all in one as they would be just as bulky as the Def Tech. :p

The review was quite brief which was annoying. Be good if the guy puts out an individual review for each pair he tested. I'm assuming the NC is stronger than on the Momentum Wireless as the he said the NC on the Momentum was soft and only said good words about the Def Techs NC. It can be turned off too which is a plus. I read a CES impressions review a while ago that said the pads were deep, large and very comfortable and lightweight (think it was on the headphone list) and the cups rotate as you said so It pretty much covers all those disadvantages of the Momentum. As for how to get them, they are not out yet but Amazon US is getting them so maybe UK will as well.

Mar 3, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #10 of 121
They could easily make the ear pads slightly bigger on the momentum wireless and change the design of the ears pads - so they're less vertical - and still be more portable than the symphony 1s. As it stands the momentum wireless just aren't suitable for large ears I think - unless you're happy to just listen for half an hour or an hour at a time.
Oh well.

Yeah I do hope they'll come to the UK. Not sure. It's a US company and their first headphone. Maybe I can contact Amazon UK to find out.

Mar 3, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #11 of 121
  They could easily make the ear pads slightly bigger on the momentum wireless and change the design of the ears pads - so they're less vertical - and still be more portable than the symphony 1s. As it stands the momentum wireless just aren't suitable for large ears I think - unless you're happy to just listen for half an hour or an hour at a time.
Oh well.

Yeah I do hope they'll come to the UK. Not sure. It's a US company and their first headphone. Maybe I can contact Amazon UK to find out.

I don't think Sennheiser could go much larger with the ear cup size and still call it portable. Might make the fold up feature hard to work if the cup size went up as well. They are definitely coming to Australia where I am so I'm guessing UK will get them as well. You could also try ringing up the official Def Tech importer/distributer in the UK and see what they say. They would probably have a better idea of when they will arrive and at what price. That's what I did to find out if they were coming to Australia (and according to the guy so did a lot of other people).

Mar 10, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #12 of 121
I've posted a review of my impressions of the Definitive Technology Symphony 1 in the comparison thread if anyone is interested.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/746519/huge-comparison-of-almost-all-the-best-bluetooth-headphones-post-your-own-comparisons-here/360#post_11396239

Mar 11, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #13 of 121
Has anyone heard both the symphony 1 and the Momentum wireless? I'm looking for a pair of bluetooth headphones and not sure which to get. I can't find either headphones at stores near me. Could someone who has heard both give me a comparison between the two? I'm open for any other bluetooth headphones you would recommend in the $200-$500 range. I have also considered the AKG K845 and Sony Mdr-1rbt but both look cheap and have plastic build.

Mar 11, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #14 of 121
  Has anyone heard both the symphony 1 and the Momentum wireless? I'm looking for a pair of bluetooth headphones and not sure which to get. I can't find either headphones at stores near me. Could someone who has heard both give me a comparison between the two? I'm open for any other bluetooth headphones you would recommend in the $200-$500 range. I have also considered the AKG K845 and Sony Mdr-1rbt but both look cheap and have plastic build.

Since you can get the Momentum 2 wireless for about $400, I see little reason to recommend the Symphony 1 if you cannot get any discount over MAP.
The Momentum 2 is the only one with metal construction and real leather of the ones you mentioned.

That said, I have tried one plastic one under $100 I like very much, the MEElectronics Air-Fi Matrix2 AF62 Bluetooth Wireless.  They are not noise cancellers.

On the expensive end, try the Parrot Zik 2.  The best noise canceller with terrific sound field IOS software.  For about $375

Sound wise, the Momentum 2 is your best choice.  The noise canceller takes getting used to.
I have been running with them for over a week and they lock solidly with my iPhone 6 plus.  I am now used to the funky noise canceller.  

Sum it up, get the M2 for $400

Users who are viewing this thread

Back