Definitive Stravinsky Recordings
May 31, 2008 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Chrispy

100+ Head-Fier
So, I've heard that Boulez with the Cleveland Symphony is the best recording of the Rite of Spring

but

I was wondering about the Firebird, specifically the 1910 version. What would be the best recording of this?

May 31, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #2 of 11
Although a fan of Boulez's work, I recommend the 2006 recording of Le Sacre du Printemps at the Walt Disney Concert Hall. This is one of the newest top tier concert halls (Tokyo Opera City Concert Hall being another) with very good clarity, spaciousness, and knock-out low frequency extension.

wdch07.jpg

Jun 1, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #5 of 11
That Disney concert hall is just spectacular design, an altar of sound for the true believers to worship.

About Stravinsky ballets I would not say Boulez recordings with NYPO or Cleveland are references, there are so many great ones it is near impossible to say one is the best.

I personally would recommend that any collection begin with the Stravinsky's own stereo recordings on Sony, rarely do we get the chance to hear the composer conduct his own works in stereo sound.......that said I would not say that even these are the best versions available, but one should start here
redface.gif

Jun 2, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #8 of 11
I confess that I am not too familiar with the Firebird, but I am pretty happy with Giulini's 1969 recording with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. It's pretty classic Giulini in my book, for whatever that's worth.

On a semi-related note: It might be a controversial pick, but I am personally very fond of Celibidache's Symphony of Psalms, done in Munich, and coupled with a Fauré Requiem on EMI.

For whatever reason, I find that Celibidache's approach suits the music in the Symphony. Of course, Boulez' and the composer's own readings are worthy entries in the discography (to risk understating the matter vis-à-vis the latter).

Jun 2, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #9 of 11
JF
That you tube clip for Oedipus Rex is some very bizarre stuff, I had no idea how far out there it was, like a crazy dream

The footage of Stravinsky conducting Firebird again demonstrates what a valuable rare opportunity it is to hear/see the composer conduct his own masterpiece. Ideally we would like to see footage of him 20 years younger doing this, but what a great document for music fans.

Jun 2, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #10 of 11
I picked up the new Apollo by the Moscow Soloists because it was so highly recommended last year and quite liked it. Stravinsky is very rhythmic which I like. I will probably pick up his more mainstream stuff this year (firebird, rites of spring) before diving into his back catalog like you guys. I will probably like the neo-classical more than the avant-gaurd stuff but glad I tried it. Good thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back