Definition of a Bad Audio Night
Jul 22, 2006 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

TomH

100+ Head-Fier
While enjoying audio nirvana on the vintage HKs, laid back and relaxed, vinyl spinning, Lambda Pros dancing, my reverie is shattered by a piercing white light followed by cat being torn to shreds sounds and then silence - then the smell of wafting acrid smoke and a faint red glow from under the hood of the Citation II. 6550 tube arcing to total failure. Ahhhohh, uhhh. Total deflation. Time to warm up the soldering iron and order some parts. Somehow the iPod just won't carry me through.

Jul 22, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by TomH
While enjoying audio nirvana on the vintage HKs, laid back and relaxed, vinyl spinning, Lambda Pros dancing, my reverie is shattered by a piercing white light followed by cat being torn to shreds sounds and then silence - then the smell of wafting acrid smoke and a faint red glow from under the hood of the Citation II. 6550 tube arcing to total failure. Ahhhohh, uhhh. Total deflation. Time to warm up the soldering iron and order some parts. Somehow the iPod just won't carry me through.

Hence the reason for owning SS equipment.
lambda.gif

Jul 22, 2006 at 2:58 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX
lambda.gif

Ouch. Twist the knife.

Naim and K701s to mollify the pain until the sutures arrive...

Jul 23, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
Sorry, but the sound out of a tube amp is just to sweet to ignore.
cool.gif

I would rather say that it is too dangerous to ignore....
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 23, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX
lambda.gif

Just like my solid-state Electrocompaniet Pre I. Which blew a capacitor that sent a signal tearing through my Electrocompiet Signature amp that damaged the amp and destroyed an irreplaceable driver in my Celestion SL600's (at least that's what the technician who repaired the electronics thinks occurred). Not a tube in sight, either
tongue.gif

Jul 25, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
Just like my solid-state Electrocompaniet Pre I. Which blew a capacitor that sent a signal tearing through my Electrocompiet Signature amp that damaged the amp and destroyed an irreplaceable driver in my Celestion SL600's (at least that's what the technician who repaired the electronics thinks occurred). Not a tube in sight, either
tongue.gif

*shudder*

Thats terrible!

Goes to show that SS is not superior.

Jul 30, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #8 of 10
Well, I've ordered the replacement parts including a quad set of KT-88 output tubes, started practicing soldering/desoldering, and updated my will (650 volts inside this 1961 classic). When all is done, it should sound even better. Actually, the damage from an arced output tube is well contained, limited to a couple of resistors; Stu Hegeman knew what he was doing back in the golden age of DIY audio.

Solder... desolder...
cool.gif

Jul 30, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Well, I've ordered the replacement parts including a quad set of KT-88 output tubes, started practicing soldering/desoldering, and updated my will (650 volts inside this 1961 classic). When all is done, it should sound even better. Actually, the damage from an arced output tube is well contained, limited to a couple of resistors; Stu Hegeman knew what he was doing back in the golden age of DIY audio.

Solder... desolder...
cool.gif

Best of luck getting it fixed and sorry about your wallet! (matched quad of KT88's, ouch!)

Jul 30, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

\\When all is done, it should sound even better.

Crisis/opportunity, and all that stuff.
eggosmile.gif
Always sucks when something breaks, but, you know, people in glass houses sink ships.

My tube amp went south lately, but that was while I was inside trying to make a minor modification ... guess I'll have to learn how to make significant mods now.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back