Dedicated Source vs Computer as Source
Aug 25, 2007 at 7:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 91

MGLDyson

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am new to this game and my wallet is aching to be bled dry. As of now I am using my comp as source with PCM lossless wav files via EAC. This goes to the MOVE dac/amp combo and then to my HD580s with 650 cable. So on to my question...

How much of a quality sound difference will I get from a dedicated source component (like a Rega CDP, around 1000USD mark) compared to my comp files running through a DAC to amp?

Any info would be great. Other threads you know of, personal opinions, anything. Thanks.

Aug 25, 2007 at 9:19 AM Post #2 of 91
It depends, with something like the Benchmark DAC1, the SQ will be stunning. CDP's won't match it for a good while. However, I personally use a CDP (soon to be connected to a DAC again). I hate having to deal with all the computer quirks when I want to listen to music. I like being able to reboot, plays games, and do anything I want without it impacting my music.

Aug 25, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #4 of 91
There's no concensus on this subject. Many believe a computer can actually be a better source. Others will have none of it. And a dedicated source doesn't necessarily have to be a stand-alone player. It could also be a transport/DAC combo as well.

I think with a computer source, there are a lot more variables to worry about, whereas stand-alone players are more tightly integrated.

Aug 25, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #5 of 91
Quote:

How much of a quality sound difference will I get from a dedicated source component (like a Rega CDP, around 1000USD mark) compared to my comp files running through a DAC to amp?

If you're talking about transports: virtually 0. I compared the Stello transport (coax) to my Sony CE595 (toslink), both running to a Stello DA220MKII, and very little difference can be noticed. When compared to my PC (USB input of DA220 MKII), there's again very little difference. It's hardly noticable unless you really dig deep, and still I wonder how much difference there REALLY was.

The PC wins big time however in convenience (700+ CDs at my fingertips), with the CE595 a good second (5 disk changer), and the Stello ending last (1 disk).

Aug 25, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #6 of 91
I think my computer is a great source. I listen to rhapsody and their quality of music is fantastic. I think when you get into this area you can spend a lot of money with little improvement.

Aug 25, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #7 of 91
Think of it this way. What is a dedicated source?

In simplified terms, it's a CD transport that sends the data to a DAC.

What's a computer setup?

A CD transport or hard disk that sends the data to a DAC.

So theoretically, if you have a computer with a better quality transport and DAC than a dedicated source, ALL OTHERS FACTORS BEING EQUAL, the computer setup would be better.

Personally, it's my belief that CDs ripped to hard disk are a superior source than any CD transport out there. The software for ripping CDs have matured to the point that you're getting the data off the CD just about as well as you can possibly expect. The added benefit of having immediate access to your entire CD library is also a huge plus.

The main problem with PC setups is that most PCs are loud, suffer from Windows Kmixer, and are eyesores that you (or your spouse) wouldn't want sitting visible in the living room. These (and other) problems can be worked around, but it takes research and a bit of effort.

Aug 25, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #8 of 91
If we're talking specs, the computer to DAC route is just as good as any other CDP especially with modern DACs being designed specifically with computer-base transpots in mind (if you read the DAC1 technical thread you'll learn that a lot of R&D went into making the USB interface as perfect as possible). There is a slight advantage of the USB interface in the computer-as-transport scheme in that you don't need to invest in a high quality cable ($$$) as oppose to a traditional transport where you will be expected to spend >$100 on the digital cables to be 'properly audiophile'.

But of course for a lot of people this hobby is not about specs, some people prefer handling a physical disk in their hands and consider changing disks and reading the liner notes an integral part of music listening, I can respect that.

Aug 25, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #9 of 91
First of all, thanks for all the responses.

It sounds like the difference between a dedicated source and computer-as-source is pretty thin unless you are spending enough to get into that area of diminishing returns. Whereas, focus and money would be better spent on the DAC and amplification end (considering I would have high-quality files anyway).

Aug 25, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #10 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by MGLDyson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whereas, focus and money would be better spent on the DAC and amplification end (considering I would have high-quality files anyway).

Exactly. It's nice to have an extremely high quality transport, but the DAC and amplification will make the most difference (unless your transport is seriously garbage). I'd iron out DAC/amp first and worry about maximizing the transport quality later (assuming you'd even need to).

Aug 25, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #11 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by MGLDyson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First of all, thanks for all the responses.

It sounds like the difference between a dedicated source and computer-as-source is pretty thin unless you are spending enough to get into that area of diminishing returns. Whereas, focus and money would be better spent on the DAC and amplification end (considering I would have high-quality files anyway).

I think that's the right attitude. Transports are just that, transports. They take zeros and ones and pass it onto the DAC, the whole conversation about jitter is the least scientific of all mainstream audiophile debates. There simply has never been an experiment that show jitter in the pico seconds audibly affect sound, and to pay hundreds or thousands to reduce jitter should be the last thing on an audiophile's mind in my opinion.

Aug 25, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #12 of 91
I think the whole jitter thing is a waste of time, mostly because I haven't personally experienced the difference between bad and good jitter. Also, in theory, digital devices should be designed to buffer up data and reduce the jitter problem if latency is not an issue. Of course, if real time performance is necessary, then either one increases bandwidth or possilby forego quality of service.

Anyways, the only reason I see buying an external solution is the separation of the analog stage from the computer. Historically, computers are electrically noisy. If noise was not an issue, I would have foregone looking for an external DAC that fits my needs for the past few years and just bought a sound card. Besides that, quality with computer sound cards in the lower end market are distrburbingly poor. I have tested soundcards where the onboard analog outs or spdif coax sounded better than the toslink (mostly because quality control fo the toslink plus is bad, not the soundcard itself). I have seen sound cards where the red light grows dim over a few months of operation.

Sorry if I was all over the map with this posting. I think the final answer will vary depending on your ears, the composition of the system, and any other external requirements such as convenience.

Aug 25, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #13 of 91
One point hasn't been mentioned yet...you need to rip your entire CD collection before you can enjoy the convenience of a computer based setup (unless you download your stuff). Plus every album should be tagged correctly. That could take a while and for some people it's a big hassle. I would consider this, too. I often see people going back or sticking with CD transports because they don't have the time to rip or don't bother spending all their free time. Some people just want to enjoy their music and not become a librarian.

Regards,

Michael

Aug 25, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #14 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by mglaudiolabs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One point hasn't been mentioned yet...you need to rip your entire CD collection before you can enjoy the convenience of a computer based setup (unless you download your stuff). Plus every album should be tagged correctly. That could take a while and for some people it's a big hassle. I would consider this, too. I often see people going back or sticking with CD transports because they don't have the time to rip or don't bother spending all their free time. Some people just want to enjoy their music and not become a librarian.

Regards,

Michael

Good point.

Aug 25, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #15 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by mglaudiolabs /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Regards,

Michael

EAC. Tag & Rename. You can have hundreds of CD's ripped (and usually EAC will tag them correctly), tagged, and paired with cover-art in a day or so.

http://jiggafellz.isa-geek.net/eac/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back