Dedicated Source vs Computer as Source
Aug 26, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #17 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigglybootch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But it still takes long time to actually rip and encode everything.

It only takes me 20minutes to rip a full cd and encode it to FLAC at the same time. I have an old AMD 4200+. Also, my computer looks nice, and is silent.

Aug 26, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #18 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It only takes me 20minutes to rip a full cd and encode it to FLAC at the same time.

Yeah, for one CD. If you've 500+ CDs, or (God help you) 1000+ you're going to ripping for a long time.

Aug 26, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #19 of 91
I have my laptop at my couch. I loaded cds while watching tv. Yeah, it took a year to get approx. 1000 cds on but it wasn't dedicated time.

Aug 26, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #20 of 91
Add to that the fact that the faster I have copied a CD, the more errors I found in them. When you rip a CD that CD mechanism goes round a lot faster than when you copy a CD. Thus the chances of even more errors shouldn't be unexpected.

Aug 26, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #22 of 91
Quote:

http://jiggafellz.isa-geek.net/eac/

Thanks for that link. I shall certainly give it a try.
It isn't however the software that I think is the issue. I have a CD that plays quite happily, but produces errors when ripped. The CD is badly scratched by the way. My personal take on it is the Solomon-Reed error correction that the digital information on a audio CD is subjected to in order to maintain accuracy of each waveform during playback. During ripping the data is being extracted bit by bit, with no Solomon-Reed error correction being employed. The playback of that extracted data is also not subjected to any Solomon-Reed error correction. So the ripped file played back accurately reproduces the digital bits extracted, and that includes the errors that would otherwise have been corrected by the Solomon-Reed error correction process. You can hear these errors as clicks like a single burst static discharge.
I might be wrong, but that's the only explanation I can come up with.

Aug 26, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #23 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My personal take on it is the Solomon-Reed error correction that the digital information on a audio CD is subjected to in order to maintain accuracy of each waveform during playback. During ripping the data is being extracted bit by bit, with no Solomon-Reed error correction being employed.

I hope C1 and C2 is always used by your drive, otherwise you got something strange. From what I understand, bit flipping is very common and C1 errors are expected to happen quite frequently. C2 should be rare if not non-existing. If too many C2 errors pile up at once, absolute data recovery might be impossible. With CD audio, most drives cheat with interpolation, making up audio data in hopes of masking the error. I am not sure if interpolation works during ripping, but I think its up to the drive itself to figure out what to do with itself when too many C2 errors happen at once. I feel that my plextor seems to mask these ripping errors better than my other dvd-rom drives. I have no real evidence of this, just from personal experience comparing the ripping accuracy between several of my DVD-ROM drives.

Setting up ripping is a painful process because not all drives are. Some drives outright lie about C2 error reporting and caching. This is why EAC is such a complicated tool.

Aug 26, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #25 of 91
Quote:

It only takes me 20minutes to rip a full cd and encode it to FLAC at the same time. I have an old AMD 4200+. Also, my computer looks nice, and is silent.

20 minutes???
confused.gif

I use dbPoweramp cd ripper. I takes only 3 minutes! That's ripping and encoding to level 5 FLAC.
I have an Athlon XP 2500+.

Aug 26, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #26 of 91
I'll probably be buying a new digital front end in the next year and I have a few reasons I'm probably not going the MacBook/DAC route:

- the main reason is the need for redundant data. It's not terribly difficult to do, but it's necessary and takes more effort than I'm willing to put forth at the moment. Ripping a bunch of CD's and then losing all that data is not an option.

- the secondary reason is the issue of distancing yourself from the artifact. I do like the idea of "less stuff", but hopefully the things we're listening to are works of art and the package is another aspect of the work.

I'm probably going to end up with a standalone cd player with digital input (probably a Quad). It will be a great CD player and can serve as a DAC if I decide to throw a computer into the mix.

Aug 26, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #27 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by proglife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.......- the main reason is the need for redundant data. It's not terribly difficult to do, but it's necessary and takes more effort than I'm willing to put forth at the moment. Ripping a bunch of CD's and then losing all that data is not an option.

You don't back up the rest of your data (emails, documents, photos)?
eek.gif
confused.gif

For less than $100, a 320 GB 3.5" USB drive (or, if you want easier portability, a 120 GB 2.5" drive) would seem to be a prudent investment for you, and not only for audio. I had my automated backup software running in 15 minutes. Just allow it to run when you are asleep or away from the computer and it represents virtually no effort once it's set up.

I have nearly 350 albums FLAC'ed to a 120 GB 2.5" USB drive, taking up a bit less than 80 GB. Fits in my notebook case, so I have the bulk of my "preferred" library with me at all times.

Aug 26, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #28 of 91
I back up my personal data, but it's not 1/10th as much data as ripping all my CD's would be. However, you make a good point that data storage has become extremely cheap!

I'm looking forward to the new Time Machine/auto-backup function of the upcoming OS X release. I'll be able to backup all my personal data from my PowerBook to a USB 2 drive hooked up to my Airport Extreme router, all automatically and without having to physically plug in to a drive.

Aug 28, 2007 at 11:14 AM Post #29 of 91
Just thought I‘d add my opinion to the discussion – just recently got into headphones properly (I had a pair of SR-80s hooked up to my integrated amp for a couple of years at university, but I don’t really count that) and currently have a pair of Senn HD-600s hooked up to a Meier Corda Aria. I have tried both my dedicated CDP connected to the analogue inputs on the Aria (a Rotel RCD-02 that cost about £400 a few years ago) and my MacBook Pro connected by USB to the Aria (using 320Kbps MP3 or 256kbps VBR AAC) and IMO there is no real contest - the CD player wins hands down. In places the computer actually sounds a touch more detailed, especially on good recordings, but it just sounds flat and uninteresting compared to the dedicated CDP. I guess that a lot of this will be due to the different DACs in the CDP and the Aria rather than the quality of the data fed to them and so you could argue that running the laptop through a better DAC would improve the sound, but then getting a new DAC for the CPD would do the same for that. I still use the laptop for its convenience when listening to music in the background, but for proper listening I go for the dedicated CDP every time.

Aug 28, 2007 at 11:54 AM Post #30 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by AS1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
20 minutes???
confused.gif

I use dbPoweramp cd ripper. I takes only 3 minutes! That's ripping and encoding to level 5 FLAC.
I have an Athlon XP 2500+.

It's not about your PC power or processor power but how EAC set up your drive's features. If your drive support it, it will rip at 10 speed or higher and with better quality then any other ripper, save plextor tools.

Your ripper prefers speed over accuracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back