Decware ZCD
Feb 10, 2009 at 11:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tagosaku

500+ Head-Fier
Just arrived yesterday. I wanted to try a tube output CD player and ended up ordering one.
Out of the box with the GT12au7 it came with, it seemed more detailed/smooth/open than HD-25 (with clock/zap filter upgrade).
Also the gain control feature with is great.
One happy finding was, the tubes installed on the back side of the unit was not a concern. The tubes are between the power and IC so it's unlikely that something will hit and break them.
Can't remember this unit mentioned here, so thought it might be interesting for some.

DECWARE / Zen Triode tubed CD player

Feb 15, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #2 of 9
Meh, I was starting to like it until i saw the tube sticking out the back of the unit sideways. Im always worried about a melting filiment touching the plate or something and blowing it all.
Plus i just dont like it sticking out the back like that, which will creat heat in my shelf unit.
Looked nice otherwise anyway.
How does it sound?

Feb 15, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #3 of 9
Actually, the tubes do not get that warm. The power regulating tube is luke warm at best and the 12au7 does get warm, but nothing compared with tubes in other gear I have. You can safely hold the tube while playing.

I love the sound comparing with the other players I have. Also switching the stock GT 12au7 to NEC 12au7 made a huge difference. Will be fun to try other tubes.

Feb 15, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #4 of 9
Feb 15, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #5 of 9
If price is your main interest, I'd say it's not worth it. Heck, I think you can even say that the stock Toscam at $299 is way overpriced and a rip off compared with an Oppo you can get for $160 or so from Amazon. Oppo player will play DVD and SACD which Toscam does not and it will even come with free shipping.

I just wanted to try CD player with tube output and am happy with this unit. And the gain control helps a lot with otherwise microphonic tubes in my MPX. Plus rolling tube on source is fun - might be because it's new to me, but seems to have a bigger effect than changing driver in the MPX - though I might be dreaming about this one.

Feb 17, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tagosaku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just arrived yesterday. I wanted to try a tube output CD player and ended up ordering one.
Out of the box with the GT12au7 it came with, it seemed more detailed/smooth/open than HD-25 (with clock/zap filter upgrade).
Also the gain control feature with is great.
One happy finding was, the tubes installed on the back side of the unit was not a concern. The tubes are between the power and IC so it's unlikely that something will hit and break them.
Can't remember this unit mentioned here, so thought it might be interesting for some.

DECWARE / Zen Triode tubed CD player

Hi tagosaku,

I'm also interested in this CDP. For me, the tubes sticking out is a blessing as this makes tube rolling a breeze. What amp and headphone have you tried with it already? How do you describe the sound? Is it laid back or forward sounding?

Thanks.

Feb 17, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #7 of 9
I think you can get better information about the sound quality at Decware's forum.

The sounds will depend on the tube you use. My amp is SP MPX and I use K501 and HFI700 with it. Been running MPX with Raytheon WGT and two Hytron GT (the combo I had in when ZCD arrived).
Compared with CD-25, using stock GT 12au7, it felt more forward. NEC 12au7 not so, and TS 12au7 Black Glass makes it closer (less forward). Did not like Raytheon 12bh7 as it seemed too revealing.

Also not that this is an issue, you need to unplug power to change tubes because of the warm up feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back