Decisions decisions.... Ath M50x, Philips Fidelio X2, Sennheiser Hd8 dj and Beyerdynamic DT770
Jan 21, 2017 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Deoee

Head-Fier
So I own a HD598 and I'm using a Fiio E10k to drive all of these headphones. I wrote a short comparison of the names headphones and hope you enjoy it!

Listening to music with Spotify Premium Extreme quality - wish I had FLACs or CDs or Tidal to compare but oh well...

Most of you know the sound signature of the HD598 so I won't talk about them in particular.
I just wanted to have something "new" to listen to, which is not as neutral as the Sennheiser but with overall good detail, comfort and bass.

The first to arrive for testing were the ATH and I listened tot hem the whole day yesterday.
The come with plenty of accessoires and are really really flexible. These headphones are clamping. While the material is really soft and feels great, the cans themself apply a decent amount of pressure on my head. Even after stretching them for several hours it didn't really lessen the clamp.
6PakmJI.jpg

The sound is decent to good. There's things I like like the bass which is super nice and really deep. The mids are somewhat more passive I'd say. They are there but are often overshadowed by the prominent bass. But now I come to the part that I can't really get along with - it's the treble. It's super... metallic and really really harsh in my ears. The first time I listened to some of my fav. songs I had to lower the volume / take off the headphones. In Battlefield 1 the sound is really immense, you get the feeling you're really shot. The bullets flying by make such a high pitched HISS that it took me by surprise the first time. There's a slight soundstage but compared to the HD598 everything seems to be way more... opressed.

If it weren't for the comfort and the treble this would be really really good headphones for the price I paid. I'm gonna try them a bit more over the course of the next days, but I find myself looking and wanting to listen on to our next contender...

the Philips Fidelio X2.

Ok they are HUGE, you look like a teddy wearing them. But they are super comfortable. Not as good as the HD598 but close. The Velour earpads are super soft and comfortable, the headband adjusts perfectly onto my head. While being open these cans have really deep and accentuated bass. I really like the sound and feel of the bass, while not being as crisp and oomph as the ATH M50x they are more easy to listen to. The mids here are also a bit surpressed but instead of being overshadowed by the bass, vocals kind of sound like being sang a bit farther away than the rest of the instruments. The treble is very crisp and detailed. I like it but in some cases it feels like it's crackling (maybe it's the tracks?). I really enjoy listening to music with them.

Trying Battlefield 1 again I had a blast playing with these. You can pinpoint everything going on in the battle, a shotgun fired in my face point blank made my ears hurt (not really, but it sounded gorgeous) and there's just a presence of the sound around you.

Just for funs a friend of mine left me Sennheiser HD8 DJ here to compare, which I will write later about.

Update:

The ATH M50x is def. going to be returned.
It's just too metallic and artificial in the treble and also too uncomfortable to wear a whole day.

The Sennheiser HD8 DJ on the other hand has grown on me. They are fun to listen to.
While it's super "close", has a small soundstage and feels similar to the ATH in terms of sound (deeeeep bass, decent mids) it has no bleeding in from the bass into the mid ranges.
Also it's way more comfortable. The sound is super colored of course but that's what I'm kinda looking for.
EDM sounds amazing on them and you can even listen to Rock etc. without much fatigue because you the treble is a bit laid back.
It's built like a tank and very light. The clamping is there but not really annoying.
My friend offered me to buy them for 80€ cause he does not use them, I might consider getting them just for fun.

http://imgur.com/a/JHeD7

Furthermore I just got the DT770 from another friend.
I just have started listening to them but all I can say, they are impressive for the price and super comfortable. They have nice bass and soundstage but after listening to the Fidelio X2 the DT770 just sound like a light version of them. Not as deep as X2, not as big soundstage as the X2 not as clear, crisp and fun as the X2.
I will listen some more but I think the X2 spoiled me on them.

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #2 of 21
I have the X2 and I love it. Deep bass, liquid mids, smooth highs. I like how the mids sound, voices seems natural with the X2. I can listen to those cans for hours without fatigue. 

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #3 of 21
Interesting! Now I´m intrigued by HD8 DJ.. my DJ headphones are Pioneer HDJ1000 and HDJ-2000k..and I hate them. Too muddy, shallow pads, recessed mids, "one-note" bass. Never liked Philips Fidelios (compared to Hifiman HE400 and Senns HD700s).

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #4 of 21
Directly switching between the HD8 and Fidelio X2 the Sennheiser DOES sound kinda like behind a thick blanket or something like that.
Good bass but kind of"distant" mids

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #5 of 21
Also I gave the Dt770 more of a listen and its still very nice to listen to.
Decent soundstage and crisp mids, there's nothing annoying in the trebles for me, at least from what I've heard until now.
I really like the comfort I must say.

Compared to the X2 they sound more airy and lighter while having great directional resolution. 
I think, the X2 sound more "fun", the DT770 sound more "adult"

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #6 of 21
!!!!
Was just about (minutes) to pull the trigger on Senns HD8 DJ. Thank you!. So...DT770 vs HD8 DJ? DT700 wins easily? I am interested more than  anything in clarity, soundstage and cannot stand muddy sound (veiled).
But...DT770 compared to Fidelios X2?
Now interested in DT770s.
-Personally (from experience) I would never choose Fidelios X1 and X2 over Denon AH-D600 in overall SQ (Denons are clearer, crisper, muuuch deeper, but slightly narrower soundstage..being "closed") and even comfort-wise D600 destroys Fidelios (X1 and X2). Glad I did not sold Denons (but I want to replace them...and it proved to be difficult)!

Jan 24, 2017 at 6:19 AM Post #7 of 21
After listening even more and under the premise to accompany the HD598 I'd give the Hd8 the cake.

The sound is full of detail and it has a decent stage for closed headphones. The bass is super impressive, deep and only bleeds slightly into the low mids. I personally installed an EQ (recommendation from reddit) and lowered the bass by a bit and by boosting certain mid/treble areas it sounds clear and superb.

The isolation is very good. Only gripe it the strong clamp.

To compare to the DT770: it does not win but it's different. Depending on what you want.

The DT is more analytical, it goes deep but not as deep as the Hd8. It also lacks impact in the bass compared to the HD. The treble is more clear at first but don't get me wrong, the Hd8 has all the detail and resolution, it's just recessed. Comfort is another league tho, very nice and easy to wear.

I will test the Hd8 in gaming later.

Edit: imo the X2 is better im every aspect from the DT 770 except comfort

Feb 4, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #8 of 21
Short update:

I'm suprised. After listening to the HD 8 for some time now I find it hard to switch back to the HD 598. For some reason, especially in the treble, I feel like the HD 598 sound... cheap and lack smoothness.
When a high voice (e.g. Starlight by Muse) sounds awesome and soft on the HD 8 and I switch to the HD 598 it feels kinda distorted, artificial nearly. 

I can only recommend to look up the Sennheiser HD 7/8 series, especially with the current price of the HD 7: https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-7-DJ-Headphones/dp/B00I117M2O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486270562&sr=8-1&keywords=hd+7+dj

Mar 24, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #9 of 21
Since I upgraded from the E10k to a Fiio E09k Dock + E17 I need to further cement my opinion.
The sound of the Sennheiser HD8 is only getting better.

While in docked mode, the bass became punchier, directer and seems to never end.
It's just an awesome feeling to listen to music with this combination.

Furthermore I HEAVILY suggest to get away from Spotify. Even on extreme quality they do something to the songs... either they remaster them or their codec is awful. There is lots of distortion and loss of dynamic range.
I'm now using Apple Music which is a huge boost for music quality.

Mar 24, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #10 of 21
BF1? ohh man I wish I can ship you my ATH AD700x's over to you! Not great for music due to it's pretty severe lack of bass, but the highs are unreal for shots and movement. The soundstage is probably unmatched by anything out there, even cans that are 5x more expensive. There's a reason they have a legendary status for gaming

Mar 27, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #12 of 21
I think for music it would be with cymbals and stuff. But for gaming? absolutely not, it's important that it stands out above frags and explosions. I need the treble to cut through most of the ****. 

Mar 28, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #15 of 21
Ever tried the AKG K712 Pro? I go back and forth between those, and the X2 for gaming. Then rotate all I own for music and movies. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back