Decisions, Decisions... - A Newbie to the World of IEMs and Hi-Fi Audio
Jan 17, 2010 at 2:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Groomsy

Head-Fier
Okay, I'll get to the point. This is a totally new world to me. Music is my life, but it's only been within the past two years or so that I've really begun to listen to music as it should have been heard in the first place. So here I am, doing research on IEMs and (mostly) at a loss as to where to go.

I'm not an audiophile (although it could certainly happen in years to come), but I know terrible cans when I hear them. And being a musician, I want the world around me to disappear when I listen to music; IEMs were the way to go for me.

So, in researching several sets of IEMs, I've narrowed my choices down to the following:

Ultimate Ears SuperFi 3
Etymotic HF5
Klipsch Image S4

NOW, here are my criteria if any of you would be so gracious as to help my decision or have any other IEMs to suggest:

1. I listen to a little bit of everything, but my strong suits are punk, metal, and electronic music (mostly trance, house, and trip-hop). I'm not looking for extremely punchy bass; but I do love strong bass presence, especially for electronic music. Mids are important for the sake of guitars; and I do want plenty of clarity in the trebles, but no sibilance or fatigue. I want to be able to enjoy the IEMs for long periods of time for travel. (This also means that they need to be durable, although I generally take care of my stuff.)

2. I would like some IEMs with a decent soundstage; I'm willing to wiggle a little more on this one since IEMs have limitations in this area, tough.

3. Obviously, noise isolation is a must. I'm used to my ears being probed from using IEMs with stage applications, so I'm looking for a deep isolation and secure fit.

4. My digital music collection is mostly in mp3 form, with all bitrates between 256-320. There are some lossless and VBR files in there as well.

5. Lastly, I'm a college student on a pretty tight budget. I would like to keep the purchase between $100-$150 (or even below that, if the quality is great at that price), although I'll spend $200 at the very most.

I've been reading tons of reviews on the IEMs mentioned above and am balancing the pros and cons, but I would really like for some of you to get your word in before I take another step. Thanks so much!

Jan 17, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 25
$100-$200 is a VERY WIDE range.

AT CK10s.

Check out the Fischer Audio line.

Of the ones you listed, the Etys are closest to reference (although still VERY far), but as a musician you'll enjoys these the most.

If you're having trouble finding good IEMs in your price range, I recommend looking at the sigs of veteran members. They are the guys who spend TOO much and are very picky about good audio. Seriously, look at ClieOS's profile pic.

image.php

Jan 17, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #3 of 25
I just pulled the trigger on Meelectronics M6, the new version. I'm waiting on the delivery, as well as a sansa clip I just ordered as the iPod shuffle I was using is out of commission. I read this: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/m...5-10-a-453836/
And it brought me to my decision. Make sure you look around at more than a single thread on any particular phone before you make your decision, and keep in mind that opinions are subjective - the world of IEMs if very individualistic

Jan 17, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #4 of 25
Awesome, thanks so much to both of you. This motivates me to do more research!

And for the record, I really like to keep the purchase under $200. I know that things are fairly broad between $100-$200, but, for my sake, I really don't want to spend more than $120-$150.

Jan 17, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #5 of 25
For good accuracy and deep fit/isolation the HF5 is for you. It may not have the bass you want though.

Maybe you can pick up a RE0/used RE252? Pair it with an amp with bass boost if it doesn't have enough and use shure olive tips with comply cores. A bit of work but when all is sad and done it should fit what you want pretty well.

Jan 17, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #6 of 25
After looking around, I've actually considered the RE0. I just noticed that Head-Direct have lowered the price to $99, so it's practically a steal, considering the glowing reviews for it on these forums as well as the rest of the Web.

Jan 17, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Groomsy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After looking around, I've actually considered the RE0. I just noticed that Head-Direct have lowered the price to $99, so it's practically a steal, considering the glowing reviews for it on these forums as well as the rest of the Web.

$79 actually. $84 shipped for most of the US I believe.
tongue.gif

Jan 17, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hung0702 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're having trouble finding good IEMs in your price range, I recommend looking at the sigs of veteran members. They are the guys who spend TOO much and are very picky about good audio. Seriously, look at ClieOS's profile pic.

image.php

Ok collection, awesome tablecloth!
wink.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #9 of 25
Okay, sorry for the delay in response.

I've done more digging around and am still torn between the RE0s and the HF5s. Obviously, the praise for the former set of IEMs has been nearly universal, although I'm slightly worried about the 64 Ohm impedance (considering that I haven't purchased an amp yet). Furthermore, I feel like I'm taking a little too big of a leap of faith by going with a relatively up and coming company based out of China whose history and reliability seems a little sketchy. (I'm definitely not xenophobic, but the Head-Direct website looked a little too shady for my tastes.)

There has been one argument that has kind of distanced me from the RE0's, though: It seems like for the most part, they're very analytical. That's fine and all, and I'm all about sound quality in this case, but I'm also the type of guy who likes to be "submerged" in my music, if you will. (Especially when it comes to ambient and electronica.) So I don't want the neutral sound to detract me too much from enjoying the music for what it is.

Also, I'm wondering if a portable headphone amp like the NuForce Icon Mobile has the power to drive the RE0s.

I haven't come to a final decision, but I'm leaning more toward the Ety's at this point (although a shred of me still wants to check out the UE SF 3...). Any more advice is appreciated!
happy_face1.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #10 of 25
First off, I have not heard the HF5 but I've owned the ER4s and ER6i. Based on that I highly doubt that the HF5 is less analytical than the RE0. The RE0 run fine from a portable amp although they synergize better with some than others. I think mark2410 used (and liked) the RE0 from a Nuforce Icon Mobile.

As for Head-Direct, they're a head-fi sponsor (have their own subforum here) and a legitimate company. If you want added reassurance pay with paypal but it's really not necessary.

Jan 18, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Groomsy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, sorry for the delay in response.

I've done more digging around and am still torn between the RE0s and the HF5s. Obviously, the praise for the former set of IEMs has been nearly universal, although I'm slightly worried about the 64 Ohm impedance (considering that I haven't purchased an amp yet). Furthermore, I feel like I'm taking a little too big of a leap of faith by going with a relatively up and coming company based out of China whose history and reliability seems a little sketchy. (I'm definitely not xenophobic, but the Head-Direct website looked a little too shady for my tastes.)

There has been one argument that has kind of distanced me from the RE0's, though: It seems like for the most part, they're very analytical. That's fine and all, and I'm all about sound quality in this case, but I'm also the type of guy who likes to be "submerged" in my music, if you will. (Especially when it comes to ambient and electronica.) So I don't want the neutral sound to detract me too much from enjoying the music for what it is.

Also, I'm wondering if a portable headphone amp like the NuForce Icon Mobile has the power to drive the RE0s.

I haven't come to a final decision, but I'm leaning more toward the Ety's at this point (although a shred of me still wants to check out the UE SF 3...). Any more advice is appreciated!
happy_face1.gif

A few points:

First, the RE0 should be fine unamped, they aren't that hard to drive. Second, if you think the RE0s are too analytical, then the ety's will not satisfy you.

I'm going to change my recommendation to either the Fischer Audio Eterna or the Cyclone PR1 Pro. Either will suit you much better for immersion than the others mentioned. If you're willing to really stretch (and hunt for a good deal) look for a Sennheiser IE8.

Jan 18, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #12 of 25
I would recommend the Cyclone PR1 Pros too, they will keep you way under budget but you'll get a fun, dynamic sounding IEM. At the moment they are quite difficult to find though.

You really ought to consider getting the RE0 though, as they really are quite magical. They are especially good if you think this may be the start of something wonderful (or a wallet eating nightmare) as so many forum members here have the RE0, they become an extremely useful reference against any new IEM's being produced. The other thing is, they will help you establish once and for all, how much bass do you really want?
biggrin.gif

Btw, you haven't mentioned your source player? This is actually very important, because it tells us what you can get out of the IEM in terms of EQing or what sound signature the source has. I'd be much more inclined to recommend the PR1 if you had an iPod, but the RE0 if you had a Sony Walkman...

Jan 18, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_recording /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...this may be the start of something wonderful (or a wallet eating nightmare)...

It's only wonderful until you see the credit card bills.
tongue.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_recording /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would recommend the Cyclone PR1 Pros too, they will keep you way under budget but you'll get a fun, dynamic sounding IEM.

[...]

Btw, you haven't mentioned your source player? This is actually very important, because it tells us what you can get out of the IEM in terms of EQing or what sound signature the source has. I'd be much more inclined to recommend the PR1 if you had an iPod, but the RE0 if you had a Sony Walkman...

Sorry, but wouldn't you actually have to have heard the PR1 to make such statements?

Jan 18, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, but wouldn't you actually have to have heard the PR1 to make such statements?

Haha yes I would have to have heard them, and yes I have
biggrin.gif
I bought them for a birthday present for a friend on your recommendation actually, and stole them from him for a time to see what the fuss was about!

*EDIT: I say they are fun not in the sense that they aren't balanced, but that they have a lot of the qualities of the RE0 like detail and speed, and that kind of high end sparkle, yet they have a really solid bassline as well. So they are the best of a lot of worlds
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back