Decisions, decisions... 880/990/580/240
May 11, 2006 at 5:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Frank M

100+ Head-Fier
Hello!

So once again, I'm on the search for a new pair.
Good headphones are addictive. After I got my K-340, everything started to sound bad... I guess everyone here knows this feeling
wink.gif

I really love my K-340s, in terms of sound, they might be my be-all-end-all 'phones, but there's the weight, that makes it a bit uncomfortable for longer listens...

So a short list of what I'm looking for:
- comfort, lighter weight
- good bass. "I like big bass and I cannot lie..."
biggrin.gif
my recent purchases (ep-630, hd-201) were seriously underwhelming in that aspect.
- nice detail. As a musician, I'll be using them as quasi-studio-monitoring gear. However, I like an involving listen, too.
- not too harsh treeble, nice non-recessed mids

Music I listen to mostly:
that would be jazz, funk, fusion and metal. Also, blues, classical, nu-jazz, rock, etc. The palette is quite wide - so it has to be versatile.

My main source is ebay, so my options are limited.
These ones are currently being auctioned; the first one ends this evening.

So, from among them, which would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 11, 2006 at 9:01 AM Post #2 of 10
Well, there's still some more time left till the first auctions end...
wink.gif

I've read all the reviews here I could find, but still couldn't make up my mind. Also, some of them contradict each other - as we know, opinions are subjective.

May 11, 2006 at 10:07 AM Post #3 of 10
Your situation sounds like AKG240S.

May 11, 2006 at 11:52 AM Post #4 of 10
Thanks!

You know what's funny about that? That should be the least expensive of the four, also the most common, yet I'm having the most trouble finding these used, especially a good deal on them
icon10.gif
rolleyes.gif

I guess I'll keep watching ebay.

May 11, 2006 at 1:18 PM Post #5 of 10
I've seen them there regulary for 100-130€.

I'm not shure if they are really an upgrade to the 340s. No idea how they are like.

May 11, 2006 at 1:25 PM Post #6 of 10
On ebay some vendors offer them for €99.99 BIN with free shipping in Germany

Well, as I saw a hd-580 go for €70 and a hd600 for €100 recently (these things happen when I'm broke, of course), that doesn't make it such a good deal. Also, there was a dt880 for €120 BIN...

In terms of SQ, I think they would be a downgrade... but in terms of comfort, they will most probably be better. Besides, the K340 is here to stay
wink.gif

May 12, 2006 at 11:18 AM Post #7 of 10
Frank M. While reading your initial post k240s immediately came to mind.....and I own both k340 and k240s. The k240s are not quite as good as your unmodded k340, but they do what you say you want. An interesting thing about values is that I got mine here (USA) as demos for $57, but in Germany they regularly sell for more than in the USA. It seems that Germans tend to like them more than Americans. I prefer putting Beyer dt770 Velour earpads on them and using a thinner, more porous foam on them than AKG.
I know this sounds iconoclastic to Sennheiser fans, but I feel the HD580->650 are best for large format music (eg. opera, symphony) and not jazz, solo works, etc. Therefore, the only Senns I own are in the HD25 family, for portable use.

May 12, 2006 at 2:01 PM Post #8 of 10
Thanks!

It's funny that even though AKG is an Austrian firm, on ebay.at you only see the auctions from Germany and in Austrian shops they are even more expensive - whereas they are much cheaper in the US, even in places like Sam Ash and Guitar Center there's a bunch of them...
Anyway, looks like I found someone selling a modded K240S around here... let's see how it turns out
cool.gif

May 12, 2006 at 3:56 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank M
Thanks!

It's funny that even though AKG is an Austrian firm, on ebay.at you only see the auctions from Germany and in Austrian shops they are even more expensive - whereas they are much cheaper in the US, even in places like Sam Ash and Guitar Center there's a bunch of them...
Anyway, looks like I found someone selling a modded K240S around here... let's see how it turns out
cool.gif

Ebay.de seller are pretty competitive - around 275 euros for the K701. They cost around £275 in the UK!

Regarding DT880 and DT990, the DT880 is clear, neutral but may veer towards being lightweight/bright if the wrong amp or cables are used. The old DT990 has a big bass, slightly recessed midrange and a slightly splashy top end. Fun for rock etc. but not so good for music where neutrality is required. But I have read some very interesting reports about the new DT990 which say the weaknesses have been tackled while retaining the previous strengths (bass etc.). It would be nice to hear how it stacks up against the other contenders - K701 (not heard) and HD650 (sold).

The DT770 has quite a bit more bass than the DT990 (which isn't exactly lacking in that department!). Bass monster territory!

May 12, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark
The DT770 has quite a bit more bass than the DT990 (which isn't exactly lacking in that department!). Bass monster territory!

I've heard that so many times that I'm really curious to hear them
smily_headphones1.gif
basshead.gif

Still waiting to hear back from the seller, but I think I'll try the K240S for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back